Oil for VW 1.8tsi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at picking up a new Passat 1.8tsi. I'm fairly certain I can use 502 or 504 oil, thinking about 504 for lower saps, as I will be changing every 5-6 k. Lower saps may also be better for potential carbon build up(?). If I go 502, I will go with M1 0w40.

Any input/experience?

502 is an old spec, commonly seen in the same sentence as 505.

504 is a much newer spec, usually also listing 507.

If you're getting the car new, you should have some free oil changes then afterwards use whatever the warranty suggests, in your preferred brand.

Ever heard of Schaeffers? Or Redline?

Use VW 502.00! Low-SAPS oils such as VW 504.00/507.00 are ONLY recommended in those vehicles in Europe since they are having ULSG.
In American sulfur rich gasoline you want strong additive package. I tried Mobil1 5W30 ESP in my previous car (VW CC) and TBN was at 2 after 3K!
So just go to Wal Mart and get Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40.
Lubrizol said that Lower-SAPS oils are better for deposits, but if you drive car like a grandmother her Buick, you will end up with deposits anyway.
What I would do:
1. Many carbon deposits are developing in car using dealership Castrol POS (5W40). If you planning to keep car, forget free changes and change oil yourself every 5K using M1 or Castrol 0W40 (both are top notch, question of personal preference).
2. Once you break in car, do not be gentle, those engines are made for speed so once you warm up car in the morning, hit it.

502 00 is still a relevant specification and as said, will have a higher TBN than a 504 oil.

For this application I would definitely go for a high TBN, lower Ash doesnt help with FSi deposits.

edy, why do you think Castrol 5W-40 causes deposits?

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
502 00 is still a relevant specification and as said, will have a higher TBN than a 504 oil.

For this application I would definitely go for a high TBN, lower Ash doesnt help with FSi deposits.

edy, why do you think Castrol 5W-40 causes deposits?

No scientific inquiry about this, but most of the deposit cases I saw was in cars regularly maintained in dealerships.
As we talked before, Castrol sells through VW, in my opinion, for today's day and age, substandard oil. It meets VW 502.00 but not MB 229.5 which we all know is much more stringent when it comes to deposit control.
As for TBN and Low-SAPS oils, lubrizol did study where they confirmed that it actually helps with deposit build up. But IMHO, I think the issue is the way cars are exploited.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

No scientific inquiry about this, but most of the deposit cases I saw was in cars regularly maintained in dealerships.
As we talked before, Castrol sells through VW, in my opinion, for today's day and age, substandard oil. It meets VW 502.00 but not MB 229.5 which we all know is much more stringent when it comes to deposit control.
As for TBN and Low-SAPS oils, lubrizol did study where they confirmed that it actually helps with deposit build up. But IMHO, I think the issue is the way cars are exploited.

As you know the only difference with MB229.3 and 5 is the Noack requirement and in VW applictions this will not affect anything and there is no need for the MB229.5 performance.

Im not sure what you mean by deposits - I assume valve

From what I understand, VM type seems to biggest factor on valve deposits and High SAPs oils can perform better than Low SAPs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout
The owner's manual clearly allows 504.00 oils... at least for the 2.0T EA888 Gen 3.

Good. Use it and then do UOA.
My take: Do UOA at 3K first and see what to do after that.
I rented Passat 1.8TSI once for 7 days and on oil cap it clearly states VW 502.00!

They are wrong

Imagine if you could compare a LZ 504 oil to other oils including Mobil 1 0W-40 in the FSi test.

hmmmm, why they are wrong?

Well as 504 is the only spec that needs to pass the FSi test it is very easy to make claims that 504 oils are better for valve deposits. They also need to be low SAPs to pass the VW DPF test.

However this means that other oils dont normally run the test, unless of course you run it for research purposes.

Basically 502 oils would appear to perform very well in the FSi test.

The owner's manual clearly allows 504.00 oils... at least for the 2.0T EA888 Gen 3.

I rented Passat 1.8TSI once for 7 days and on oil cap it clearly states VW 502.00!

Oil fill caps also said to use Castrol.
lol.gif
What did the operator's manual say could be used? As far as I know, the Gen 3s are the first to allow 504.00 oils here.

I have been doing 5K mile ODIs anyways because of my severe-service conditions.

1. Many carbon deposits are developing in car using dealership Castrol POS (5W40). If you planning to keep car, forget free changes and change oil yourself every 5K using M1 or Castrol 0W40 (both are top notch, question of personal preference)......

Based on Castrol's specs the 5W-40 used at the dealership appears to be as good as the 0W-40: Castrol

Are you saying the dealership is using a substandard blend of Castrol? Are there any specs available for this blend?

Originally Posted By: SandCastle
1. Many carbon deposits are developing in car using dealership Castrol POS (5W40). If you planning to keep car, forget free changes and change oil yourself every 5K using M1 or Castrol 0W40 (both are top notch, question of personal preference)......

Based on Castrol's specs the 5W-40 used at the dealership appears to be as good as the 0W-40: Castrol

Are you saying the dealership is using a substandard blend of Castrol? Are there any specs available for this blend?

Castrol 5W40 does NOT meet MB 229.51. BIG difference from 0W40 that meets MB 229.51.
Castrol 5W40 is HC oil, probably really cheap base stock. 0W40 as far as I know is PAO.

Well as 504 is the only spec that needs to pass the FSi test it is very easy to make claims that 504 oils are better for valve deposits. They also need to be low SAPs to pass the VW DPF test.

However this means that other oils dont normally run the test, unless of course you run it for research purposes.

I think they were doing comparison test.
I have that pdf at my work will post it, but also I think you can fish that out somewhere here.

Oil fill caps also said to use Castrol.
lol.gif
What did the operator's manual say could be used? As far as I know, the Gen 3s are the first to allow 504.00 oils here.

I have been doing 5K mile ODIs anyways because of my severe-service conditions.

Very funny. Castrol on cap and VW 502.00 on cap are two different things.
Did you do UOA?

I think they were doing comparison test.
I have that pdf at my work will post it, but also I think you can fish that out somewhere here.

The oil can achieve 229.5 with no change to base oils. It's only just over 10%.

I have comparisons but cannot share in afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back