What weight in 9mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had a Glock 43 for concealed carry, what weight in 9mm would you carry? I am leaning towards 135 grain, but not sure what others recommend and why. Thoughts and educated opinions welcome

I'm shooting a G19 and use it for daily carry. I love the Federal 9BPLE (115gr) round. Awesome expansion.. Even in the GLock subcompacts. It may be an older hollowpoint and it is known to have jacket separation, but at about 16/bucks per 50 rounds, I shoot it often. It is a +p+ but I've had zero issues with it. Glocks can easily handle this round.

At least you picked a non-controversial topic (lol).

Lots of choices, but mine for defense is Cor-Bon DPX in 115 gr.

For practice, anything on sale, cheap so I can practice a lot. Shot placement is the gold standard.

You should do your own research. Self defense is too important to be left to chance.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Here's a great gel test review including 9mm done just a few months ago, and they used a 3.5" barrel gun for the tests:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

I like the last one in the list of 9mm's, the Speer Gold Dot 115gr, it showed excellent expansion that looks very consistent on all five bullets.

+1 I carry this load in my PPS 9mm as well as my SR9C. In my backup 6-round mag for the PPS I carry Liberty Civil defense mostly because it is so light.

I bought the box of 50 115gr Gold dots at a gun show for $25. the box states "law enforcement" ammunition. I trust my life to it. The big plus is its performance in a short barrel.

Last edited:
I prefer 147gr. for all my 9mm Glocks. 135gr. are hard to find. Speer make short-barrel ammunition in 124gr. but those are harder to source. I think the 147gr. in a G43 is a good balace of performance and recoil and is what I have in my G43 right now.

I like the 135gr Hornady critical duty for 4inch and up barrel guns.

The Hornady critical defense 115gr it is designed for short barrel guns.

Lots of opinions and reasons behind them, but they will all do the job.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Speer Gold Dot 124+p
Federal HST 124+P, 147, or 147+p

JUST NO to any of the Hornady rounds with the polymer tip.

bubba- you've been pretty critical of the Hornady Critical Defense line up for some time now, but you've now included all polymer tipped Hornady products.

Would you elaborate please?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Speer Gold Dot 124+p

bubba- you've been pretty critical of the Hornady Critical Defense line up for some time now, but you've now included all polymer tipped Hornady products.

Yes, please do elaborate on the Critical Duty round and what evidence exists that this is somehow an inferior performing cartridge.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Speer Gold Dot 124+p

Yes, please do elaborate on the Critical Duty round and what evidence exists that this is somehow an inferior performing cartridge.

Not bubba but delve into the luckygunner tests. There are better choices available.

As to the OP, I carry 147gr for several reasons. Recoil, muzzle flash, and noise.

Use standard pressure 147gr HST in a 4" barrel S & W 5946. Not sure what a half inch less barrel would do to it's performance but that round looks astounding in any test that I've reviewed.

Have carried the previously mentioned 9BPLE as well as the old Black Talon, Hydra-Shok's, Golden Sabre's both in 147gr. Also had the 129gr +P+ Hydra-Shok's as well.

As a purely self-defence only round, perhaps the 9BPLE might be a good consideration for a 3.5" gun. Or even a regular 4" barrel. Such a use usually precludes barrier-penetration compromises to it's design.

But the new HST stands a lot of old perspectives on their head given how it really performs!

Don't know if I've helped or hindered! Sorry if it's the latter.

John.

Oh yes, the HST's night-time muzzle flash is REALLY well controlled. Was less than Golden Sabre & Ranger 'T' 147gr. rounds recently.

John.

Why?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog

Why?
21.gif

I'm not impressed with its performance. I'm not impressed that the company advertises incessantly. I'm not impressed that the company incessantly markets and advertises sub-par ammo.

I SPECIFICALLY took into account the OP's gun which has a 3.3 inch barrel when I made my ammo suggestion. These ammo choices below WILL offer excellent, top of the market performance. If he wants to shoot a sub-par ammo in his G43, than by all means, shoot a polymer tip round from Hornady.

I know a lot of guys get worked up when I say this, and that is OK. Hornady rounds are EXCELLENTLY marketed and their distribution network is second to none. They are thus in the hands of a lot of shooters for that reason. Doesn't make them the BEST, or even middle of the pack.

what I recommend for him:
Speer Gold Dot 124+p

IMO 115 grain for self defense in 9mm doesn't make much sense. You don't get anywhere near the step over .380 that you could with 9mm. My hot .380 loads are about 100 fps and 20 grains lighter than a 115 9mm.

In 9mm I like heavier, and prefer 147's. The 115's make great economical range choices though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back