Another American business sold to the Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure they will do a better job. I did have a Haier fridge that lasted about 7 years before conking out but I paid dirt for it brand new.

It's best for GE to sell their appliance business, it had a small profit margin compared to the jet engines, medical equipment, locomotives, etc...

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
They are also moving their headquarters to Boston from NJ. It's big news up here.

not NJ - Connecticut - "GE, which since 1974 has been based in Fairfield, Conn., promised to bring about 800 jobs to Boston."

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm so tired of foreign companies poaching great American businesses.
then gather the funding required to purchase and buy it yourself? it's business, if you don't like the trend, then actually try to do something about it.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
They are also moving their headquarters to Boston from NJ. It's big news up here.

not NJ - Connecticut - "GE, which since 1974 has been based in Fairfield, Conn., promised to bring about 800 jobs to Boston."

I misspoke. That's correct.

I read an article about Haier suggesting they had a real rags to riches story far outclassing other Chinese firms, started a US assembly plant, and are well ranked in Consumers Report as good product and good value.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm so tired of foreign companies poaching great American businesses.

My local appliance dealer said he couldn't sell me a new GE washer because his conscience wouldn't let him.
Doesn't sound like the "great American Company" is making a good product...
I'm in my 70's and have owned some great GE appliances in the past decades - perhaps "once great" applies to them today.

I have a GE microwave hood combination with a keypad problem because of design issue, and they dare to charge me $190 (knock down to $90 after complaining to customer service) on the keypad of a $350 microwave. I'll never forgive them, and maybe even the company that design / engineer it, but still, GE put its name on it and charge me $90 to fix its design problem.

If Haier is not doing something this unethical I'd give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
I read an article about Haier suggesting they had a real rags to riches story far outclassing other Chinese firms, started a US assembly plant, and are well ranked in Consumers Report as good product and good value.

Haier started out selling low end appliances to the rural populations, and they sold tens if not hundreds of millions of them over the years, and so far they haven't blew up with large percentage because of corner cutting and plastic parts in load bearing places like the lowest price disposable stuff we see in the US. I'd say if they can resist the temptation of a few dollars of profit by using plastic where it shouldn't be, the company has enough backbone to build good products.

GE stated last year that they were streamlining their portfolio and getting out of unprofitable businesses. This is one of them.

The same financial elites from Ivy League schools who told GE to sell their appliance business gravitate to WHICH political party? Does Gruber ring a bell?

Last edited:
Just like G.E. industrial electrical motors (at least the ones I use)-Hecho in Mexico JUNK! At least Haier seems to be a decent lower end producer, wonder if they'll just slap the GE name on their own units?

I guess if there was an American company who was interested in this business they had full opportunity to bid.

Whirlpool wouldn't be able to bid because of anti trust issue, and with Electrolux rejected and the Korean not interested, you pretty much only have Chinese bidders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back