Hendrick NASCAR engine info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three oil changes per weekend
smile.gif

I wonder what oils they used for each change
smile.gif

Each Sprint Cup engine has a six-gallon oil tank. Each car will typically use about 18 gallons of oil per race weekend, including oil for practice, qualifying and the actual race.

One Cup engine flows approximately 70 gallons-per-minute of water at 9,000 RPM.

http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/...rsports-engines

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shanneba
Three oil changes per weekend
smile.gif

Wat?

Originally Posted By: billt460
I wish they said what each engine costs.

It is about 100 k per race lease for a Hendrick/top tier engine.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I wish they said what each engine costs.

You usually lease engines for a season. They are really picky about servicing them also. A lot of times when you see a team that is an engine customer, there will be a rep wearing a shirt from that company with them that takes care of anything engine related.

Whenever I go to an IndyCar race there are dudes wearing Chevy and Honda polo shirts with laptops running around taking care of things for the teams.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

That's actually not very much water flow, considering the power they make. They have a very efficient cooling system.

And NASCAR has been restricting the cooling systems the past few years. They lowered the operating pressure on the Ford FR9 when it came out a few years ago. The Fords were able to tandem draft at Daytona and Talladega longer than the other manufacturers before they started pushing water.

In Indy Car racing if you touch a Honda leased engine with a screwdriver or attempt to adjust or change any settings it could void the ease. You install the engine, hook up the cooling system, exhaust system and accessories and the control harness. Then you just run the motor on the pre-approved schedule and when complete, return it to Honda. The teams don't tune motors, anymore.

Each Sprint Cup engine has a six-gallon oil tank. Each car will typically use about 18 gallons of oil per race weekend, including oil for practice, qualifying and the actual race.

Imagine Hendrick's oil hoard! lol

Originally Posted By: JC1

Imagine Hendrick's oil hoard! lol

And all of it is gratis. Valvoline is the oil supplier to Hendrick. Stewart-Haas gets Mobil 1, Penske gets Shell/Pennzoil, Roush now uses "EcoPower."

Originally Posted By: Shannow

That's actually not very much water flow, considering the power they make. They have a very efficient cooling system.

surely makes use of nucleate boiling to get the job done...

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f13/vssp_14_yu.pdf

Some good papers...

https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/dspace-jspui/bitstream/2134/13963/1/Thesis-2003-Zimmermann.pdf

May be able to liberate a half horsepower in a street engine...would expect way more in a NASCAR.

This one should be read first, but is pretty dry...

http://people.bath.ac.uk/enscjb/airtex.pdf

But has some interesting stats...that fill in where the power savings in the above paper can come from.

Quote:
Progress is already apparent in the area of reduced coolant flow rate. Conventional cooling needs on smaller engines with mechanically driven water pumps vary between 2.0 to 2.6 L/min/kW. Some advanced engines already run at 1.0 - 1.7 L/min/kW. It is predicted that with an electric pump & diverter valve with precision cooling & nucleate boiling sensing & control, flows under 1.0 L/min/kW would be achievable.

The quoted 70 gallons per minute is about 280l/min...which means that they are using less than half a litre/minute/kW...

Originally Posted By: Shannow

surely makes use of nucleate boiling to get the job done...

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f13/vssp_14_yu.pdf

Uh-oh, the government is talking about using nucleate boiling to cool engines again. This is something that they bring up like it's a new thing about every 10 years. I ran headlong into this when I worked at John Deere Rotary Engine Division in the late 80's. Nucleate boiling cooled engines have been a pipe dream of theirs since the 1930's, when they conceived the Hyper aero engine project, which never got anything into production. Rolls-Royce dabbled in it on their Goshawk engine to great negative effect. Run for the sake of your mental health when a contracting officer asks you to design an engine cooled by nucleate boiling, or demand full payment up front and agree to no liability on the outcome.

Nucleate boiling in the design of cooling systems is similar to boundary lubrication in the design of conventional bearings: it is there as a last resort to save your machine in case the normal mode fails. In cooling systems, the normal mode is forced convection, and nucleate boiling is used as a "safety valve" to effectively transfer heat if pressurization is lost. If an engine is designed to cool with nucleate boiling as the normal operating mode, it is operating on a razor's edge between nucleate and film boiling. Once the engine goes into film boiling, heat transfer is greatly impeded, and the engine starts melting down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I think Joe Gibbs Racing has his own Racing Oil Line if I'm not mistaken?

Yes, it is called Joe Gibbs Driven, and they have many race oriented products for sale.

But they have been critiqued for marketing their use of M PAOs as the best thing since group 4/5s were discovered.

Nucleate boiling in the design of cooling systems is similar to boundary lubrication in the design of conventional bearings: it is there as a last resort to save your machine in case the normal mode fails. In cooling systems, the normal mode is forced convection, and nucleate boiling is used as a "safety valve" to effectively transfer heat if pressurization is lost. If an engine is designed to cool with nucleate boiling as the normal operating mode, it is operating on a razor's edge between nucleate and film boiling. Once the engine goes into film boiling, heat transfer is greatly impeded, and the engine starts melting down.

Agreed...but I think it's the only way to get the heat they need to out of the small circulating volume that they quoted.

BTW, nucleate boiling is the steam side of the power station boilers, only the circulation rate is a half tonne per second (driven only by heat and density)...DNB is literally seconds of operation before a tube fries.

nucleate boiling in the design of cooling systems is similar to boundary lubrication in the design of conventional bearings: it is there as a last resort to save your machine in case the normal mode fails. In cooling systems, the normal mode is forced convection, and nucleate boiling is used as a "safety valve" to effectively transfer heat if pressurization is lost. If an engine is designed to cool with nucleate boiling as the normal operating mode, it is operating on a razor's edge between nucleate and film boiling. Once the engine goes into film boiling, heat transfer is greatly impeded, and the engine starts melting down.

That's what I was thinking. You can design a heat exchanger to make use of nucleate mode by the size of the tubes and number of tubes and shape and surface finish.

In an engine you get large flooded cavities with Eddie currents, low flow areas ,high flow areas, turbulent areas, and laminar flow areas. Its not like you're gonna redesign the engine for the sake of heat management.

The tail don't wag the dog.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
nucleate boiling in the design of cooling systems is similar to boundary lubrication in the design of conventional bearings: it is there as a last resort to save your machine in case the normal mode fails. In cooling systems, the normal mode is forced convection, and nucleate boiling is used as a "safety valve" to effectively transfer heat if pressurization is lost. If an engine is designed to cool with nucleate boiling as the normal operating mode, it is operating on a razor's edge between nucleate and film boiling. Once the engine goes into film boiling, heat transfer is greatly impeded, and the engine starts melting down.

That's what I was thinking. You can design a heat exchanger to make use of nucleate mode by the size of the tubes and number of tubes and shape and surface finish.

In an engine you get large flooded cavities with Eddie currents, low flow areas ,high flow areas, turbulent areas, and laminar flow areas. Its not like you're gonna redesign the engine for the sake of heat management.

The tail don't wag the dog.

Ya, "Eddy's currents". I know that dude.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Ya, "Eddy's currents". I know that dude.

He lives somewhere near you in Dorchester..

Drives a town car for the livery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back