No more excuse for high AvGas prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil went below $30/bl and is set to dip down again today. I know, I know, only one plant makes the lead additive and etc., but prices have not dropped hardly at all as the price of crude has plummeted. What will be the excuse when the alternative fuel arrives lead-free and is basically just premium auto gas without ethanol? I'm really just ranting and not considering all the factors like demand and who knows what else, but sometimes it's healthy to vent.

My guess is that FAA regulations have something to do with it. Their restrictive regulations have been sucking the life out of general aviation for 30+ years.

Last edited:
It's sad to see how general aviation has declined over the decades, and high fuel cost has a lot to do with it. I remember being able to rent a Cessna 150 for $29/hour back in the late '80s in Minnesota. Today you're lucky to find an FBO that will rent one for 4x that price.

The price here stays at peak prices no mater how low automotive gasoline dips. Makes one wonder.

Also the price of gasoline here is almost $3 a gallon because a refinery just happened to shut down for maintenance as the prices started to drop. Imagine that. And tankers with plenty of gasoline can't cross into California because we have special gasoline with magic ingredients.

When one lives on a border with Nevada or Arizona guess which side the gas on?

Originally Posted By: Neely97
When was the last refinery built ?

According to the EIA:
Quote:
There were 140 operable petroleum refineries in the United States as of January 1, 2015.

Two new refineries began operating in early 2015:
• The 19,000-barrel-per-calendar day (b/cd) Dakota Prairie facility in Dickinson, North Dakota.
• The 42,000 b/cd Kinder Morgan condensate processing facility on the Houston, Texas, ship channel, with plans to double that capacity by the end of 2015.

The newest refinery with significant downstream unit capacity began operating in 1977 in Garyville, Louisiana. That facility came online in 1977 with an initial atmospheric distillation unit capacity of 200,000 b/cd, and as of January 1, 2015 had capacity of 522,000 b/cd.

Capacity has also been added to existing refineries through upgrades or new construction. The most recent examples are:
• In 2012, Motiva upgraded its refinery in Port Arthur, Texas, making it the largest refinery in the United States with a capacity of 603,000 b/cd as of January 1, 2015.
• In 2009, Marathon upgraded its Garyville, Louisiana refinery. As of January 1, 2015, the capacity (b/cd) is more than double its original 1977 capacity.

There hasn't been a major refinery built in the US since 1977, but a number of small ones have been built.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
My guess is that FAA regulations have something to do with it. Their restrictive regulations have been sucking the life out of general aviation for 30+ years.

Absolutely correct!

In fact, I'd like to add that the FAA has little true US Constitutional authority to regulate non commercial, privately owned, light aircraft.

The "air commerce act" of 1926 is the basis for the FAA's operational authority. (commerce between the states) Private aircraft owners have been suffering, and yes, dying for years, due to the FAA's mismanagement. But, what do you want from a bunch of desk bound bureaucrats, actual understanding and good policy?

If it were not for the FAA, we'd have smooth running, direct injected, water cooled, direct drive, electronically ignited piston engines with stunning reliability, long life and superb fuel economy, all on REGULAR GAS.

Ugh, I have to overhaul my Right magneto again, and set the timing at a fixed 20 degrees on my lawnmower, er, ah, cough-cough, Cessna.

Last edited:
Agree that the FAA, with regard to light aircraft is run by antiquated thinkers who should have retired 25 years ago. They have no place in making todays decisions. JMP.. Ed

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Currently 100LL is $2.78 here. I'm lucky !

That's like the year 2002 all over again.
20.gif
Enjoy it while you got it !!

Some co say the price is much higher because of low production volume AnD specially for the extra care about non contamination, on production, transport and storage. Or else redherring.

Found 100LL Avgas for $2.99/gal at X60 Williston airport roughly 80 miles North of Tampa and 80 NW of Orlando, Florida.

Best I've found recently.

As we say around KBRY (Bardstown, KY) The FAA isn't happy until you aren't happy.

They are starting to realize they are the problem though. They recently discovered that electronic instruments they have approved for home-built experimental aircraft are more accurate and reliable than the 1890 vintage steam gauges they require in certified aircraft. They recently allowed an STC for one of these instruments (Dynon D10A) that has been permitted in experimental aircraft for use in Cessna and Piper singles. That is an immediate price drop from what the "certified TSO" Garmin instrument costs ($20,000) down to about $2,000.

That's bad.

We're getting closer to the deadline for the alternative to 100LL. Will be interesting to see the pricing of the replacement fuel since the current reasoning behind high avgas relating to rare supply of tetraethyl lead and its status as severe pollutant goes away with the new fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back