Fram vs ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda wondering how FRAM air filters stack up against the competition.

Better than/ not as good as?

Normally I use Napa gold or Purolator, but I have no ill feelings toward FRAM. The price seems ok at WalMart, anyway.

Just looking for thoughts.

I think my next one will be a pure-one ....

I've used the Pureone air filter which seemed to be just fine. I have used Fram air filters the last two times because I have just found them at a good price. I think either Fram or Pureone is a fine choice.

I was using a PureOne air filter for awhile and thought I had an intake leak due to my uoas showing high silicon but since I switched to a Fram filter my numbers went to normal and I'm hoping they are even lower on the next uoa

Fram Extra Guard air filter is a fine product.

Their Tough Guard version is uniquely positioned in the marketplace -- high quality and pre-oiled media at a very attractive price point.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I was using a PureOne air filter for awhile and thought I had an intake leak due to my uoas showing high silicon but since I switched to a Fram filter my numbers went to normal and I'm hoping they are even lower on the next uoa
The ONLY Fram air filter I have ever purchased had a molding defect which made it warp in a Camry airbox. That would have run up the Si numbers, but I didn't install it aftr seeing the fine fit of the POS.

Never had an issue with Fram. Their air filters look and feel similar to OEM ones for my applications.

I once had a Suzuki Samauri with the airbox removed and cheap 4 inch paper element in its place.... And a foam ear plug in the center cap because the hood wouldn't clear the stud. The filter just kinda floated on top of the carb. It ran great for the 200k that I drove it. Wish I still had it. Just saying I wouldn't burn too many calories on your air filter choice.

Fram is about the same as Purolator or WIX. I'd use them interchangeably or whichever is US made.

I have a P1 right now, but I personally just think the oiled media is all marketing. The oil traps dust, but isn't that what the media is supposed to do?

Yes I realize OEM Honda filters are oiled, but the majority of other car filters are not.
21.gif

I found the results from the search function remarkably un-remarkable ...

Perhaps I'm expecting the impossible, but I was really wondering if anyone had any evidence in any form of how a fram stacks up against another filter -- any filter.

Really what I'm looking for is the best filtration possible at the expense of all other parameters if need be. The P1 is oiled, which I like, but Fram does not offer the TG in my application. I would use a TG in a heartbeat if it were available.

I can tell the Fram (extra guard) is working based on my filter minder showing 8"H20 knowing that the engine has never seen anything over 3500RPM and about 1/2 throttle.

I just pulled a Oil sample, so perhaps the Si content will tell me something, though I don't have another analysis of this length by which to compare.

PurolatorONE:
"Multi-fiber, high-density media traps 96.5% of harmful contaminants to protect the engine"

Motorcraft:
"Meets at least 98.5% efficiency standard in coarse dust testing, with excellent dirt-holding properties"

Originally Posted By: Olas
Mann air filters are 99.9% @ 3 micron.

This is the type of info i was seeking. Thanks.

I'm having trouble finding ratings for other filters though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back