New .338 Lapua rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, after spending close to $2,500 (or more than that with tax) on the CADEX chassis for my .308 I started to question the logic of spending that again on my 110BA when the CADEX rifles themselves are less than 6K for a full-on precision rifle platform.

So, I've traded my 110BA in on a CADEX CDX-33 Lite:

http://www.cadexdefence.com/products/cdx-precision-rifles/precision-rifle-lite/

Gun is made in Canada, trigger is made in-house by CADEX, barrel is a Bartlein single-cut 5R rifling match-grade. Action, bolt, barrel, all stainless. Gun is verified out to 2,300M and currently in use by Canadian special ops
grin.gif

Turnaround is unfortunately 3-4 months but I'm REALLY excited to get this thing! Will post some pics once I actually have it in-hand.

Initially I plan on using the mil-dot Elite 6500 I had on the 110BA o it but will eventually be moving to the Leupold Mark 8 as per Rob Furlong's recommendation.

And a shameless plug of Rob Furlong with it:
maxresdefault.jpg

Have fired this weapon many times; an ex-military friend has one, we worked together in Camps in the Far North and made use of the gravel pits in the area evenings. Shot a lot of skeet as well.

You will love this gun.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a 338 Lapua rifle.

I looked at the Savage 110BA, but could not convince myself to sped $2300 on a rifle plus probably at least $2K on a scope worthy of such a rifle.

Then I would need a range to shoot such rifle.

You can't beat the 338 LM, great choice! I'm looking forward to your pics and review.

My friend has a fancy Remington 338 Lapua with a Night force scope and it is really nice. I like the 338 Lapua!

Had the pleasure of watching one of those do it's duty at 400 m, very accurate and fast.
Ammo is very expensive.
Git er done !

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Yeah, that should do it. What do you have that needs shot at 1.4 miles?

Nothing, LOL! But I do intend on attending Rob's Marksmanship Academy, which is a 1,000 yard shooting course.

My buddy has an Rbros .338 Lapua Imp. with a Nightforce scope on top.

IIRC he has about $6000 wrapped up in rifle/scope.

He and that rifle are an impressive combo. He was hitting 5 gallon propane tank sized rocks at something like 1700 yds the other day.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
My buddy has an Rbros .338 Lapua Imp. with a Nightforce scope on top.

IIRC he has about $6000 wrapped up in rifle/scope.

He and that rifle are an impressive combo. He was hitting 5 gallon propane tank sized rocks at something like 1700 yds the other day.

Nightforce makes a great optic from what 2015_PSD has told me. I'm inclined to go with the Leupold Mark 8 though with this one, which will run around 4K as that's what Rob is recommending as a top-shelf offering. A quick review on it here:

http://www.snipercentral.com/leupold-mark-8-3-5-25x56mm-m5b2-2/

I'll have around 10K into the combo when all is said and done. This of course excludes the money I got back on the Savage, which really means I'm out 8K and whatever I end up getting for the 6500 that I'll be selling once I get the Leupold unless I re-purpose it
21.gif

The .338LM is an incredible cartridge and insanely accurate. Currently it holds the top spot for longest kill shot @ 2,707 yards. 2nd is Rob Furlong with the a .50BMG (McMillan TAC-50).

List here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

This is a rich man's hobby....

I like cool rifles like this, but I sure could not afford the ammo. Crazy.

"verified" or not, you still need to confirm this. That means sending your own rounds down range. Also to check for jamming or problems, which do happen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

"verified" or not, you still need to confirm this. That means sending your own rounds down range. Also to check for jamming or problems, which do happen.

Certainly. I reload .338LM and have had great luck with my own loads. Factory loads are around $3.20/round, which, compared to .50BMG is a relative bargain, LOL!
grin.gif

I have both on-hand currently, probably 6 boxes of factory and another 4 of reloads. I need to pick up some more bullets, I still have powder, primers and brass to do another 150 or so.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
^^Buy the Nightforce optics and don't look back!
x 2 - Nightforce FTW!! Nice rifle and congratulations my friend!

A friend of mine has taken every single type of North American big game, all the sheep species worldwide, bears, tagged rhinos, etc. His guns are fairly basic, with some good optics and hand-loaded rounds. So I kind of dont get the use of super fancy guns and rounds for practical use.

But honestly I think the skill, even with a fine gun like this, is really awesome. Hitting targets consistently from such distances is a science as much as anything, and highly interesting in terms of the parameters you must consider. Congrats on the buy, keep us posted when we get it.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
^^Buy the Nightforce optics and don't look back!
x 2 - Nightforce FTW!! Nice rifle and congratulations my friend!

Thank you sir
smile.gif

I know scopes are a bit of a topic that can bring a lot of heat on here. I'm leaning towards FFP and as I'm sure you can imagine, the word of the man who held the record for the longest kill shot for a number of years weighs heavily on my decision.

https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/mark-8-riflescopes/

There's no getting around these things being expensive. MSRP is $5375USD
crazy2.gif

For a comparable NF scope it would appear I'm looking at this guy:

http://nightforceoptics.com/atacr/5-25%C3%9756-f1

Which is like half the price at $2,813 from EuroOptic

21.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
A friend of mine has taken every single type of North American big game, all the sheep species worldwide, bears, tagged rhinos, etc. His guns are fairly basic, with some good optics and hand-loaded rounds. So I kind of dont get the use of super fancy guns and rounds for practical use.

But honestly I think the skill, even with a fine gun like this, is really awesome. Hitting targets consistently from such distances is a science as much as anything, and highly interesting in terms of the parameters you must consider. Congrats on the buy, keep us posted when we get it.

You can take pretty much anything with a 30-06. Most of them with a .308 (which is my go-to). This is really more about long range target hits than hunting. Now, a .338LM will probably kill anything that walks on this continent. A .50BMG anything anywhere but the beauty of these cartridges is their long range capability and how they can reach out and do the deed with precision if you are able to do your part.

The skill and challenge is a big part of what makes it fun. Rob Furlong has a course on mastering this which I plan on attending.

The great thing about guns is that they hold their value, it isn't like cars where you drive off the lot and there it goes. I was able to get within 100 or so of what I spent on the 110BA back on trade. That's been the case for any gun I've upgraded from on trade. They hold their value well. So it isn't like sinking money into something that is going to be worthless the first time you pull the trigger
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Yeah, that should do it. What do you have that needs shot at 1.4 miles?

I'd also like to know what hairy problems you have up there! I salute you that you have the ability to own and enjoy such a thing. To me its' a solution in search of a problem....unless one has those large, angry, hairy things to contend with.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

+1 yeah....most of my rifles are in the $600 range...still have one kid to put through college....(cha ching)

But someday maybe.... in any case now I get the name "Overkill"
13.gif

If I had that rifle I would sleep with it in my bed then take it to work with me so I could just look at it all day.
20.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back