PHILIPS 9011/HIR1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mikered30
What are your thoughts on the Vosla HIR2 +30 bulbs on the market, are they really brighter than then Philips HIR2 LL?

I just got a pair of those (through GM parts website) for the fogs in the Bimmer - will do comparison soon (9006 vs 9012)

9012 is not a good lamp for fog lights it will produce too much glare due to the small size of the reflectors, they produce too many lumens to safely use no matter how they are aimed. Also there is no bulb cap on the 9012 like a 9006 so if the fog housing doesn't have a shield your really blinding people.

Fog lights should only be used in low visibility situations at low speeds to see the road edge anyways. Please turn off your fogs especially in the rain which doesn't help glare.

I really like my 9011 for high beam replacement of 9005

I have checked with a few people who have done the same swap on the same car/foglight housing/model, and they have tested them pretty well, and have reported no glare issues. (they had someone else drive towards them at night.)
As i know it's the same model car, I am pretty confident i won't blind people.

I don't use them during rain.

I only use fogs on pretty much empty dark road portions when there really IS fog at night, and sometimes as running lights during daytime.

Just wondering how you came to this conclusion. Fog lamp reflectors will NEVER project light to the left and into oncoming traffic as they are set to light up the center-right of the road and the extreme sides of the road. They also do not project very far down the road and any upgraded 9006 or modified 9012 lamp will light up this area much more brightly than an OEM lamp.

One cannot change the physics of the lamp by increasing the Lumen output only. One would have to physically alter the location or lens.

Turn off Fog Lights in the Rain..? Glare? Only if you are using blue coated lamps. Friend, Fog lamps will light up the white lines on the road as well as the side lines in the rain..you know, the ones that 'disappear' when wet because your government would rather spend a million dollars on a "Jobs Shelter and Legal Center" than buy reflective white paint for the roads.

I do agree to slow down in the rain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Candlepower
Turn off Fog Lights in the Rain..? Glare? Only if you are using blue coated lamps.

Fog lamps on in the rain really bother my eyes. It's not direct glare from the lamps, but reflected glare off wet pavement. Because fog lamps are so low to the pavement, this is much more of a problem than it is from headlamps.

The only purpose for fog lamps is to be able to pick up the reflective paint lines in extremely dense fog (at a slow pace) that otherwise may be difficult to see with headlamps only. The American marketing engine seems to encourage their use all the time, but they can be very bothersome to other drivers.

Yes, especially in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back