Mobil1 vs Amsoil European 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
MPT now claims that it's ENTIRE line up, INCLUDING their 0W-xx oils are made with a 100% PAO/POE base stock, and absolutely NO VIIs whatsoever, no matter how far the SAE viscosity 'spread'.

I can believe them, when one looks at just how low their VIs are on most of their engine oil products.
wink.gif

And, none of which carry any actual specs that I could see. Plus their guarantee is money back only, no "we'll fix your engine when our products damage it" type of statement. Unless I missed it somewhere.

Oops, sorry. I forgot I wasn't supposed to comment in this thread anymore.

MPT now claims that it's ENTIRE line up, INCLUDING their 0W-xx oils are made with a 100% PAO/POE base stock, and absolutely NO VIIs whatsoever, no matter how far the SAE viscosity 'spread'.

But, at the very least, an oil is a base oil plus additives. So, it can't be 100% base oil, now can it?
wink.gif
They may not use VIIs. That's fine, but I'm assuming there is something with phosphorus in there and some detergent package.

We can now take this to making a blanket statement that PAO is superior?! Still doesnt quite give us formulation/chemical makeup.

Originally Posted By: Garak

But, at the very least, an oil is a base oil plus additives. So, it can't be 100% base oil, now can it?
wink.gif
They may not use VIIs. That's fine, but I'm assuming there is something with phosphorus in there and some detergent package.

I kind of figured that everyone in this thread is intelligent enough (and knowledgeable enough about oil formulations) to understand that when I say "base stocks", I am referring ONLY to the base stock composition, and NOT the TOTAL oil formulation.
wink.gif

Maybe I take too much for granted??
21.gif

BTW; their (MPT's) oils have some of the MOST 'stout' anti-wear/anti-friction AND detergent add packs of ANY oil on the market, with starting TBNs at or above M1 0W-40's/M1 EP oil's levels.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I can believe them, when one looks at just how low their VIs are on most of their engine oil products.
wink.gif

And, none of which carry any actual specs that I could see. Plus their guarantee is money back only, no "we'll fix your engine when our products damage it" type of statement. Unless I missed it somewhere.

I (NOR they) EVER claimed/stated ANY manufacturer's specs being satisfied with these oils, nor any implied, or stated repair/cover dealer warranty type guarantees.
31.gif

This IS a 'boutique oil' (and/or a 'racing oil' despite it's high TBN), as much as any oil could be, and I was ONLY giving it as an example of an oil which uses ONLY PAOs/POEs as a BASE STOCK, with NO group 1,2, or 3 added, and NOT as a 'fully certified' Euro, or domestic manufacturers' spec oil.
wink.gif

I kind of figured that everyone in this thread is intelligent enough (and knowledgeable enough about oil formulations) to understand that when I say "base stocks", I am referring ONLY to the base stock composition, and NOT the TOTAL oil formulation.
wink.gif

Of course, but there is precision in language. There is an additive package. So, 100% isn't possible. Even primarily PAO oils often use something else for solubility, and that's a reasonable response to a legitimate issue. So, does that change the 100%, either? All I'm saying is that I prefer precision in language when it comes to these things.

Originally Posted By: Garak
All I'm saying is that I prefer precision in language when it comes to these things.

Fair enough.
smile.gif

I will try and proof read better, and state ideas much more precisely in the future.
wink.gif

I have still yet to see a VOA of the Amsoil Euro 0w40.
It would be interesting to see one and how it compares to Mobil 1.
(and yes I know the VOA doesn't show any of the organic ingredients used in modern oils)

No doubt both are good oils.

I will try and proof read better, and state ideas much more precisely in the future.
wink.gif

If you don't feel like proofreading, check with me and see if I feel like nitpicking.
wink.gif

We just have to be careful lest new members be grousing about technical synthetics that use a splash of conventional for solubility, or something like that.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back