Seasoning for oil and vinegar salad dressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I've been experimenting with EVOO and red wine vinegar on my salad (trying to get away from processed dressing) but I have a lot of trouble with the spices. I'm looking for that real flavorful type of dressing you would get on an Italian hoagie from a really good pizza shop. Any suggestions? I am trying to avoid salt and sugar.

Yeah, skip the sugar - salt is OK. I use lemon-pepper seasoning or sometimes adobo with just plain olive oil. I skip the vinegar, but it may help people with digestion problems. I generally eat more paleo style so I don't eat many vegetables. Even though I like a lot of them, I don't think vegetables are good for you. Low in nutrients and hard to digest. I try to eat mostly fat and protein.

I've recently been making just that. I prefer red wine vinegar in general myself...

My favorite is:

Crushed pink salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Thyme
Slightest pinch of sugar

Add evoo and mix. Serve with blue cheese crumbles.

I used to dress with evoo+fresh squeezed lemon and orange juice. 1 of each. A little fresh ground pepper and a sprinkle of celery salt. Give it a try, its easy and quick.

Last edited:
Table salt is processed bad to make it appealing and prevent from clumping. In simple terms it is 1/3 sodium,1/3 glass,and 1/3 sand. Not good for our health. Sea salt is preferred but Himalayan salt and Celtic is best due to the minerals that are with it. Hawaiin red or black is good too. Braggs apple cider is very beneficial alone or with extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy:)

I have a O&V shaker with about 6 recipes on the side. Works well for variety and keeping it contained. For "real flavorful" you'll have to wait a day or two for the flavors to blend. You can start with a pre-flavored oil, but you'll still have to wait.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
Table salt is processed bad to make it appealing and prevent from clumping. In simple terms it is 1/3 sodium,1/3 glass,and 1/3 sand.
?????????

No, it's not. It's so EASY to prove it's not either with a simple experiment! Only one of those three ingredients will dissolve in water, leaving the remaining two. Furthermore, how would 66% of glass & sand make the product "appealing" to customers?

THINK.....

If you feel table salt is good for you than use it. Processed salt is in simple terms (unhealthy). In simple terms table salt is 1/3 sodium. If you would like to complicate it's composition than do your own research. Again I was trying to suggest and keep it simple. IMO

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Serve with blue cheese crumbles.

It's amazing how little blue cheese it takes to add a lot of flavor. Yum!

I absolutely love the Good Seasons Italian dressing mix. If you use their official glass container, it makes it super easy to measure out the ingredients. Their glass container is marked with the lines where your fluid levels are:

3rd Line ---------- OIL
2nd Line --------- Water
1st Line ---------- Vinegar

You add the vinegar in first; then the water; then the seasoning mix; and then the oil in last.

I use white distilled vinegar, purified drinking water, and Extra Light olive oil.

I'm telling you this stuff is so delicious, you can drink it straight. I even pour it on my crackers.
smile.gif

43000978689.jpg

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Table salt is processed bad to make it appealing and prevent from clumping. In simple terms it is 1/3 sodium,1/3 glass,and 1/3 sand.
?????????

No, it's not. It's so EASY to prove it's not either with a simple experiment! Only one of those three ingredients will dissolve in water, leaving the remaining two. Furthermore, how would 66% of glass & sand make the product "appealing" to customers?

THINK.....

Where to people hear this stuff? You're right, glass does NOT disolve in water. Some people will say anything to shill their stuff, and some people buy it.

Last edited:
Try Balsamic vinegar, it has a better flavor than the red wine rotgut and is less acidic. That and some olive oil and you're in business. BTW, cheap olive oil adds good flavor to salad, don't buy the 20 dollar a liter stuff for salid. It's for cooking at high temps.

What makes this particularly amusing (besides the obvious) is that normal table salt is quite pure and the ones you mention are not pure - and completely unregulated as to the contents. How do you think they get the color they have? What types of elements give colors to crystals?

Besides the sodium iodide they add to iodized salt I will guarantee the salt you buy in the supermarket is much purer than those colored ones.

Table salt is processed bad to make it appealing and prevent from clumping. In simple terms it is 1/3 sodium,1/3 glass,and 1/3 sand. Not good for our health. Sea salt is preferred but Himalayan salt and Celtic is best due to the minerals that are with it. Hawaiian red or black is good too. Braggs apple cider is very beneficial alone or with extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy:)

What is amusing is you can take a product like Pink Salt 84. Table salt has all the minerals stripped; whereas Pink Salt has (wait for it)84 minerals and trace elements. Some of the reasons Table salt is so unhealthy is that it is treated with conditioning agents also treated with bleach(Yum). It is heated to 1,200 degrees F and promotes acidity in the body. The pink has its color due to the minerals it contains and balances the body's PH. Comes from the Himalayan mountains and provides a multitude of health benefits. I was just offering suggestions.

Well first off, heating an inorganic compound like sodium chloride to any temperature below its decomposition temperature won't do a thing to it chemically (and NaCl has a very high decomposition temperature). Sodium chloride is also a neutral salt, it can't "promote acidity" in the body.

What kind of bleach do they use? What kind of conditioning agents? Do you mean anti-caking agents?

And those minerals that color the Himalayan salt, do you know what they are? How is it that you aren't worried about them yet you are worried about the non-existent things in common table salt? How do you know what it does to the pH of the body, is that something you read online? How do you know what you are reading is accurate and not just a puff piece to sell more salt?

Those 84 mysterious and unknown minerals scare me more than the one mineral in table salt. You really have no idea what they are and what they might do.

In terms of being "salt" that Himalayan salt is gram for gram just as unhealthy as regular table salt.

Table salt is processed bad to make it appealing and prevent from clumping. In simple terms it is 1/3 sodium,1/3 glass,and 1/3 sand. Not good for our health. Sea salt is preferred but Himalayan salt and Celtic is best due to the minerals that are with it. Hawaiin red or black is good too. Braggs apple cider is very beneficial alone or with extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy:)

ok so was that on DR OZ or something hahaha.

Not even going to point out how obviously wrong that is.

I know people who drank that bragg's apple cidar for various ailments.. It rots your teeth extremely fast.

1 cup olive oil
1 cup red wine vinegar (or experiment with a combo of other vinegars or lemon juice)
2 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder or dried minced onion
2 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 1/2 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. dried or prepared mustard (take your pick)

Combine ingredients in a jar. Store tightly covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator (will need to let the olive oil come to room temp. before serving.) Shake well before pouring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back