Evinrude XD100 premix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a high quality synthetic 2 cycle oil. I have a local marine dealer that sells repackaged bulk at a discounted price. The only full synthetic that they have is the XD100. Anyone have any experience with this oil outside of using it in the E-Tec? Can it be used as a premix in my ATV's chain saws Etc.?

Any of the outboard engine oils are TCW-III oils. This means they really are not engineered for use in air cooled engines such as chain saws and deposit control suffers at elevated temperatures. Also, TCW-III oils are not engineered for "race" engines, such as high output/higher temperature/high RPM 2 strokes (dirt bikes/atv's/kart) .

Even so, many people use TCW-III oils in dirt bikes and air cooled engines, often with good results. However, they don't mix at "lean" ratio's. If you choose to do this, mix at 32 to 1 in highly stressed engines to ensure adequate lubrication.

I'm not going to tell you that TCW-III oils are a disaster in applications other than outboards, especially when premixed at 32 to 1. But you may be better served by using the proper oil for the application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Laddbg
Can it be used as a premix in my ATV's chain saws Etc.?

Do not use TC-W3 in those applications.

ISO-L-EGD would be a good place to start.

50.00 a gallon maybe on sale...
I once bought a whole case for 50.00$... noticed wrong price on case... also had 30%off winterizing sale... guy cashing me out was new...
About the only thing good that ever happened with my etec 225ho.. that and the guy who bought it driving away to Canada... was like Christmas...
I had great luck with rp two stroke...
Stores around here loaded now with amz oil for snowmobiles...

I think I know where this guy is going... some dealers get a drum of this and sell it at a discount, bring your own jug... price may actually work out... buy a gallon, try it out... maybe add a tuner additive to the gas also, like merc #2... or seafoam... I flip flopped between the 2 and had good results...

Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
50.00 a gallon maybe on sale...
I once bought a whole case for 50.00$... noticed wrong price on case... also had 30%off winterizing sale... guy cashing me out was new...
About the only thing good that ever happened with my etec 225ho.. that and the guy who bought it driving away to Canada... was like Christmas...
I had great luck with rp two stroke...
Stores around here loaded now with amz oil for snowmobiles...

That might have been the xd50. I just buy quicksilver premium plus for $20/gallon at academy. I don't have an etec.

I run XD-100 in my E-TEC 150, Chainsaw, weedeater and what ever. The stuff is good. If you run it in a Evinrude E-TEC you can change it from the TCW-3 oil setting to the XD-100 for reducing oiling rate. It has been documented and even says in the manual if you run out of oil the E-TEC will run like 5 hours on reduced power. It burns very clean.

I run mine on the TCW-3 setting with XD-100 oil. It is normally $32 a gallon. My friend uses it in his moped for a few years with no negative results

I own an E-Tec outboard and use XD100 - you should be aware that this is not a TCW-3 rated oil - it's use is intended for direct injection or oil injected outboard engines. It is very light weight. Evinrude does not recommend that XD100 is used in a pre-mix environment. Evinrude sells two TCW-3 rated oils that can be used for premixed applications XD-50 and XD30.

Xd30 is pretty good clean burning 2T oil, I've ran in a Britsh Seagull 7hp that demands tick oil, without problem for 200+ hours.

Originally Posted By: josephp732
I own an E-Tec outboard and use XD100 - you should be aware that this is not a TCW-3 rated oil - it's use is intended for direct injection or oil injected outboard engines. It is very light weight. Evinrude does not recommend that XD100 is used in a pre-mix environment. Evinrude sells two TCW-3 rated oils that can be used for premixed applications XD-50 and XD30.

You are correct it is not a TCW-3 oil, it far eceeds the specs for TCW-3 oil and is used as a premix in a ton of older Evinrude's problem free. It still mixes with the gas and gets burned with the gas in a DI engine after the pin point oiling.. I know people who run XD100 in chainsaws and such and so do I. It is hard to see because it mixes clear but it burns very clean as a premix.

Here is what Evinrude themselves have to say about it
"What kind of oil can I use for my 2-stroke motor?

XD30, XD50 and XD100 oil is recommended for all 1993 and newer motors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 15SilvyEcotec

You are correct it is not a TCW-3 oil, it far eceeds the specs for TCW-3 oil and is used as a premix in a ton of older Evinrude's problem free.

If it far exceeded TC-W3 specs, wouldn't that make it a TC-W3 oil?

We lost the original poster about 2 months ago... the etec outboard has a brutal lovehate relationship with the public... the aarguments go on forever for just chit chats about the oil... I am sure its got a good price even with the bulk discount...
Pretty funny one guy cheaped out on oil with twin 225 etecs... crazy... also used pump gas and no additives!!!! Hopefully the few bucks he saved will help pay for the AARP edition 200 Suzuki's he bought to replace them... yawn...
When your chainsaw stops working and the guy says you used too good an oil please post a picture of bigfoot in your yard...
Those new G2's are sweet...

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Originally Posted By: 15SilvyEcotec

You are correct it is not a TCW-3 oil, it far eceeds the specs for TCW-3 oil and is used as a premix in a ton of older Evinrude's problem free.

If it far exceeded TC-W3 specs, wouldn't that make it a TC-W3 oil?

I guess you could say that and as such it could be used in place of but I think those specs are kinda old. The XD 100 is just a synthetic 2 cycle oil. When you buy a Evinrude it can be programmed to run on TCW-3 oil or XD100 oil. It oils normally on the TCW-3 setting but uses around 30% less oil on the XD100 setting. If it is set for XD100 you must use XD100 but if on the TCW-3 setting you can use XD30, XD50 or XD100. The owners manual states for commercial, racing, hard use or best protection set the computer for TCW-3 and run the 100.

It is easy to change the setting as I have the dealer software on my laptop to download reports and such. I do also agree the Evinrude Gen 2's are very nice but I am afraid my 2013 150 will have to last me awhile. It has always had pure gas with no Ethanol and 2 plus 4 fuel conditioner. I have a neat test kit I use on the pure gas I get just to make sure. It has a 10 to 0 line that you add water and a 0 to 10 line that you add fuel, just shake it and in about 30 seconds you will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back