Battery maintainer/Trickle Charger-Your Favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years and years I used nothing but a "Battery Tender"mainly because that was one of the only one you could get 20-25 years ago except for junk.As mine would ware out I'd replace with another Battery Tender.In the last 4-5 years they got to where they wouldn't last no time and they were toast.
So I started doing some research on Battery maintainers.I liked what I researched about s maintainer called "Batteryminder".I keep 3 to 4 chargers going at all times during to Winter.As my Batterytenders conk out I replace them with BatteryMINDer Model 1510: 12Volt 1.5 Amp Maintenance Charger/Desulfator.My oldest one is around 4 years old and going strong.
Anybody else tried these?Anybody else had bad luck with "Batterytender" brand?

Which Battery Tender have you been using? Was it the Plus or Jr? I have seen a lot of reviews of the Tender Jr. [censored] out after a while. I haven't really heard that about the Tender Plus though.

Had good luck with the $5 Harbor Freight ones. Keep the lawn tractor and camper batteries topped up over the winter.

I use all these

Optimate 6
Ctek 7002
Ctek 2500
Schumacher speed charger 75 amp
Schumacher SP3
Granite 200 W
Black and decker 20& 30 amp 12V

Had good luck with battery tender brand on jet skis but no longer run the brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tony58
For years and years I used nothing but a "Battery Tender"mainly because that was one of the only one you could get 20-25 years ago except for junk.As mine would ware out I'd replace with another Battery Tender.In the last 4-5 years they got to where they wouldn't last no time and they were toast.
So I started doing some research on Battery maintainers.I liked what I researched about s maintainer called "Batteryminder".I keep 3 to 4 chargers going at all times during to Winter.As my Batterytenders conk out I replace them with BatteryMINDer Model 1510: 12Volt 1.5 Amp Maintenance Charger/Desulfator.My oldest one is around 4 years old and going strong.
Anybody else tried these?Anybody else had bad luck with "Batterytender" brand?

I have battery tenders bought in the last 4-5 years that work just fine and are lasting very nicely.

I have battery minders as well and like them slightly more for a few reasons.

At the end of the day, the main thing IMO is the ability to properly modulate current, and to adjust voltage to temperature. A charger that is not temperature compensated is not doing good things for the battery...

The charger that came with my 25 yr old BMW motorcycle does a great job of charging then going into float mode. I use it on everything. When the truck is parked in the garage in the winter, and have been doing nothing but short trips of <5mi, it keeps the battery perky. Can really tell the difference when after work and its 10 degrees, it cranks much better. It was made by Schumacher.

I needed a charger when my 40 yo one took a nosedive. Settled on a Stanley model from Walmart, 40a start 15a fast charge 5a slow and 1 a float. Kind of a misnomer tho, it can vary anywhere between 15 and .5amp. Battery desulfate cycle and an alt checker. $54ish

Only downside is if the battery is totally dead it won't charge... I use a jump pack to fool it

I like the little semi-permanent mount one (L-frame that sits under the battery) with something like 1.5 amps, automatic, for around $40, give or take, at NAPA, among other places.

I have 4 BatteryMinders all still working fine. They probably have the best technology for maintaining and desufating batteries but their charger models are expensive. The 2012 model has high and low temp compensation which few seem to have.

I owned a classic car and I've used Battery Tender Plus models for over 20 years.
I bought a new one after 15 years.Old one was still was working well but figured it's time and I got my money out of that 15 years.
Still use it on one of my vehicles as it sits a lot at 4K-5K miles per.

I've been using a BatteryMinder 2012 for some time now. At 2 Amps, it's not a fast charger, but it gets the job done, and of course it's a great maintainer. It also has temp compensation and desulfation.

DSC_4888.jpg

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Had good luck with the $5 Harbor Freight ones. Keep the lawn tractor and camper batteries topped up over the winter.
i had 2 of those and both boiled the batteries dry in a few months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back