Last round in mag stovepipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Wheel
Is the loss of mass from it being the last round the issue ? Can you load a clip of one round and the rest empties and see what happens ? I seem to recall my Dad having an issue with an old Browning recoil shotgun that acted up with light loads and an empty mag.

The old A5 type shottys use a long recoil and friction ring setup that is very ammo sensitive. You actually have to disassemble the gun and set up the friction rings different for light or heavy loads (and if shooting very light loads, even lube it more). No production pistol ever made works on this system, so mass has nothing to do with it.

Mass can have have a lot to do with it. Just because the pistol doesn't use the same mechanism as the shotgun in his example does not mean mass cannot play a part in the ejection of the cartridge in the OP's pistol. He says he isn't 'limp wristing' it, but that could be his subjective opinion. The mass of the pistol and the shooter's action could very well be the cause. Especially since it happens on the last round of each magazine.

I was taking into account there is no limp wristing. And the mass of the pistol is still the same even if you do limp wrist it. You are merely absorbing the inertia of the recoil impulse. About the only other way mass comes into play is if you load an ultra light bullet and a light powder charge that will not overcome the resistance of the slide and springs.

To the OP:

Are you using factory mags? If no, I highly suggest using factory mags. IMO, there are very few aftermarket mag makers that make mags worth a [censored]. Mec-Gar is about the only aftermarket mag maker that makes a good mag.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I've never seen a reliable 380. Wouldn't own one.

Stop using those Jiminez, Raven, Lorcin, and Jennings 380s, they are junk.

The Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard 380, Sig P238, Glock 42, Kahr P380, etc. If you buy a 380 from a reputable manufacturer, it will be just as reliable as any other caliber pistol.

Originally Posted By: Al

It stovepipes the incoming unfired round.

So the last round in the magazine doesn't feed into the chamber, but rather stove pipes (sits straight up) in between the breach and slide? If so, sounds like a magazine/feeding issue.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Al, compare both mags with 1 round loaded. Is the round sitting exactly the same in both?

I shot a number of round with 2 rounds loaded in the "bad" mag....lubricated the "follower" plate. Stil got some misfeeds of the last round.
I think its either a weak spring. I will continue to use both mags and go from there.

I won't spend much time on the issue though. It never fails to fire all jrounds except the last. If I am uncomfortable with that I can do 6 +1 ...I usually go 5+1. And besides I have a brand new LCP. I just like my Sigma as a carry gun.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

The title of the post is 'last round stovepipes.' Why did you assume it was something else?

As to why I assumed that, it's because I listened carefully to what the OP said, not the often-misunderstood terminology he used. Good practice with patients, good with cars, good with guns. Good about everywhere.

Al - sounds like you are on the right track. I'll mention again "wolff" brand -they are ubiquitous and extra power to wear out less quickly. They'll have something to fit those mags. MidwayUSA, Brownells, local gun store often has a limited selection for the most popular platforms. For a carry gun, I'd change it.

Last edited:
I shot a number of round with 2 rounds loaded in the "bad" mag....lubricated the "follower" plate. Stil got some misfeeds of the last round.
I think its either a weak spring. I will continue to use both mags and go from there.

I would take the magazine apart and totally clean and lightly lube it. Also would stretch out the follower spring a bit before putting it back together.

For the, what, $6?, that a new spring costs, I would throw a new spring in each mag. I've used Wolff as well, with good result.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
For the, what, $6?, that a new spring costs, I would throw a new spring in each mag. I've used Wolff as well, with good result.

At least that would tell him if it's a weak spring - with low hassle and no cost. Then sure, throw in a new spring if it's determined the original one is causing the problem.

The mags can not be disassembled I don't believe

Sorry - I read it as failed to eject.

Got to be the clip - follower or spring. Sometimes followers turn or bind near the end. Check how it presents the round to the action.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
Sorry - I read it as failed to eject.

Got to be the clip - follower or spring. Sometimes followers turn or bind near the end. Check how it presents the round to the action.

Not your fault..it wasn't very clear.

The mags can not be disassembled I don't believe

Then, I would buy one new magazine. An OE S&W or perhaps a MEC-GAR. See if that fixes the issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back