Total 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read a Chemical analysis for Total’s 5W40 synthetic oil and it says THIS PRODUCT IS A MINERAL OIL NOT A SYNTHETIC AS ADVERTISED. Still it is a good mineral oil with effective synthetic additives, and a good viscosity index for a mineral oil (3% DMSO extract) Any views as to why it is advertised as a synthetic oil? Also any views on the quality?

Oh dear. Here we go again.

Quote:
Any views as to why it is advertised as a synthetic oil?

Apart from Germany, every other place in the world considers group III oil to be synthetic. Total is not the only oil company that does this.

My advice: focus on the actual engine manufacturer approvals instead of on individual product ingredients.

Originally Posted By: ChemistryEng
I have read a Chemical analysis for Total’s 5W40 synthetic oil and it says THIS PRODUCT IS A MINERAL OIL NOT A SYNTHETIC AS ADVERTISED. Still it is a good mineral oil with effective synthetic additives, and a good viscosity index for a mineral oil (3% DMSO extract) Any views as to why it is advertised as a synthetic oil? Also any views on the quality?

It is HC oil, same as Mobil1 0W40 (SHC), Castrol 5W40, Pentosin 5W40 etc.

Post a link to the "Chemical analysis" please.

I have used it in 5w-20 flavor
Good oil but cost wise not worth paying more for over say QSUD- GC. Mobil 1 etc

It is not advertised as synthetic but synthetic technology, in fact between Shell, Motul, Elf and Total, only Shell and Motul (8100) are advertised as synthetic.

Thank you for your sound advice.
smile.gif

Composition/Information on Ingredients

Ingredients CAS No Conc % TWA(mg/m3) STEL(mg/m3)
Mineral oil 8012-95-1 >90 5(mist) not set
Zinc alkyl dithiophosphate 68649-42-3 bis(nonylphenyl)amine 36878-20-3
This is a commercial product whose exact ratio of components may vary slightly. Product contains mineral oil with less than 3% DMSO extract as measured by IP 346.

OK, that's from the MSDS. I thought there was an actual analysis of the oil somewhere, that's what it sounded like. Never mind and thanks.

Thank you all for your comments. I have learnt a lot about what constitutes a synthetic oil here. Some Retailers do advertise this as not just a synthetic oil but "fully synthetic" I now know that is not strictly correct and this oil is in fact a highly refined mineral oil,(type 3) and it has a very good reputation and good quality specs. I am going to use it in my work Vauxhall/Opel Vivaro diesel vans. I was looking a quality oil to keep the engine clean, cope with town and motorway driving and a climate temp range of -7 to 40 degrees C. I also intend to change the oil annually. Thanks again to all for your advice.

The bolded portion is not correct. A Group III severely hydrocracked oil is not "highly refined" oil despite what anyone on here might say. Look into the specifics of hydrocracking and you will see what it actually does.

And remember too that the MSDS information you posted is not a "chemical analysis" of the material. It is prepared by the manufacturer of the material, not from a post facto analysis. More than that it is information that emergency responders and firefighters use to combat spills and isn't necessarily specific in percentages for the components listed. No company will write an MSDS in a way that divulges proprietary information.

Thank you all for your comments. I have learnt a lot about what constitutes a synthetic oil here. Some Retailers do advertise this as not just a synthetic oil but "fully synthetic" I now know that is not strictly correct and this oil is in fact a highly refined mineral oil,(type 3) and it has a very good reputation and good quality specs. I am going to use it in my work Vauxhall/Opel Vivaro diesel vans. I was looking a quality oil to keep the engine clean, cope with town and motorway driving and a climate temp range of -7 to 40 degrees C. I also intend to change the oil annually. Thanks again to all for your advice.

Composition/Information on Ingredients

Ingredients CAS No Conc % TWA(mg/m3) STEL(mg/m3)
Mineral oil 8012-95-1 >90 5(mist) not set
Zinc alkyl dithiophosphate 68649-42-3 bis(nonylphenyl)amine 36878-20-3
This is a commercial product whose exact ratio of components may vary slightly. Product contains mineral oil with less than 3% DMSO extract as measured by IP 346.

ZDDP is 1500ppm
PEA also!
Where did you get this msds?

Thank you for that kschachn you certainly know your oil and correct terminology. Can you confirm that Total 9000 5W40 is a type 3 and would it in your opinion have good detergent properties for my diesel engines? Sorry if I am asking too much, when I get some time I will research this more! Thanks again!

Can you confirm that Total 9000 5W40 is a type 3 and would it in your opinion have good detergent properties for my diesel engines?

What kind of diesel engines specifically?

I'd say it's good for older diesels. But if it's a modern diesel with DPF, then you probably want to find a different oil that is low-SAPS to protect the DPF.

He said Vauxhall/Opel Vivaro diesel, so maybe based on some Renault engines, probably no DPF

If you are seeking for the RN 0710 certification, then this Total oil doesn't have it.

But why this oil in particular? I think there are better oils out there for similar prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back