2017 Ford Fusion Sport - 325 hp, 350 tq, AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/de...debuts-detroit/

The Ford guys were hoping for an ST variant with manual shift...but I guess this will have to do for now. Still better than nothing, I know it will scoot like a scalded cat.

Everyone was also expecting to get the 2.3 from the Focus RS and Mustang (same block, engine mounts, etc. as the 2.0 for packaging) but Ford went all out and put in the 2.7 V6. That engine has a mountain of torque. It moves the Edge Sport around like nothing, can't wait to see the numbers for the Fusion.

I bet that engine does move ... it can tow 8000 pounds in a F150. Does Ford have a FWD transmission to handle it? I guess what they use in the SHO

The 2.7 TT makes a bit more horserpower and torque than the old 5.4 2V engine. It's like having a medium sized V8 in a front driver. Crazy!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I bet that engine does move ... it can tow 8000 pounds in a F150. Does Ford have a FWD transmission to handle it? I guess what they use in the SHO

The 2.7 TT makes a bit more horserpower and torque than the old 5.4 2V engine. It's like having a medium sized V8 in a front driver. Crazy!

Yeah - they use the 6F55 in the SHO. Upgraded the 6F50 internals to handle the power and it's AWD ready.

Heck, the 3.5 in my SHO has more power than my 1997 Mustang Cobra had!

I may seriously consider this next year when the truck is paid off. Could be a hoot.

Last edited:
2.7L, Twin-Turbo engine in an AWD Sport Sedan....where have I heard that before....it sounds familiar....

Oh yeah, right - the Audi 2.7TT!

It does sound like a cool package though!

Originally Posted By: deven
I wonder if they recommend 5w20 for that engine.

The 2.7 gets 5W30.

I would strongly consider buying this car and would even toss out my requirement of 3 pedals for me to own a car.

All Ecoboosts with the exception of the 2009-2010 units get 5W30. The 2009-2010's get 5W20.

I've always liked the looks of those sedans, now they will have PLENTY of GO (and traction) to back it up!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif
19.gif

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Yeah - they use the 6F55 in the SHO. Upgraded the 6F50 internals to handle the power and it's AWD ready.

I may seriously consider this next year when the truck is paid off. Could be a hoot.

From http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-ford-fusion-photos-and-info-news

"An eight-speed automatic is standard in all nonhybrid Fusions."

I don't know anything about the 8 speed.

I have a Jaguar X-Type "Sport" with the 2.5L V6, 5 speed manual. And, I like everything about the way the X-Type drives. Except the lack of power.

This Fusion looks to be an extension of what the X-Type is. A mid sized, cat-quick, lightweight sedan with AWD. The added bonus of major HP.

I've driven the F150 with 2.7L EB engine. It's amazingly fast and smooth. While I've not raced the new 2.7 against my 2011 3.5 EB F150, I'd guess it's faster! That 2.7 is an amazing engine.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
2.7L, Twin-Turbo engine in an AWD Sport Sedan....where have I heard that before....it sounds familiar....

Oh yeah, right - the Audi 2.7TT!

And that was some 15 years ago. Always wanted an S4 with that engine, but at the time all I could afford was the A4 1.8T.

Anyway, what is the weight distribution on this Fusion?

Also interested to hear more about this AWD setup.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've driven the F150 with 2.7L EB engine. It's amazingly fast and smooth. While I've not raced the new 2.7 against my 2011 3.5 EB F150, I'd guess it's faster! That 2.7 is an amazing engine.

I'd expect it to be similar. Your 3.5 makes more power, but it's also in a heavier truck. Now, if we were looking at one of the new beer cans with the 3.5 EB, that would be a no-contest win.

Stoked about this car. Yes, it sucks there is no 3rd pedal option but I can't blame them for not making it. It probably wouldn't sell any manual trans options anyway. MOST that would buy this are buying it for its everyday capability as well.

I will definitely be looking at these on the used market in a few years. Plus, then the tuners will have had them for some time..They'll have a blast with a twin turbo factory set up.

All Ecoboosts with the exception of the 2009-2010 units get 5W30. The 2009-2010's get 5W20.

I believe the 1.0 in the Fiesta/Focus is also an exception that takes 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: stranger706

From http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-ford-fusion-photos-and-info-news

"An eight-speed automatic is standard in all nonhybrid Fusions."

I don't know anything about the 8 speed.

I'm almost 100% positive that Ford does not and will not have an 8spd because they're working with GM on a 9spd for FWD/AWD and 10spd for RWD/4X4. I read an awful lot of car mags/internet mags and This would be the first word of an 8spd from Ford. Which sounds crazy if they're already working on a 9spd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back