PPPP 0w20 - 2012 Honda Accord 2.4 EX-L - 3,113 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my new to me Accord that I purchased 5 months ago. Changed the oil shortly after I got it, out went who knows what oil and a Puro-jobber filter and in went Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 0w20 and a Fram Ultra. I was going to run a 5K or 15% MM OCI (whichever came first) but after 5 months and 3K miles I figured I would just drain it since the history is not fully known. The oil came out looking good, and with only 3K it should have. My driving style is short trips of 5 miles usually 2 to 4 times daily on average. It will see about 5 minutes (yes five) on the freeway every now and then, usually just once a month. So, a couple concerns...SODIUM, FUEL, and IRON. I realize that you can't fully rely on these "wear" numbers, but the iron is at 7 with only 3K miles and iron tracks with time and mileage so it would keep creeping up. Could this be related to the grinding VTC actuator? Next, fuel. I drive the same route with this car as I did with my previous Accord and it also had a K24 (K24a8 to be specific), but it never had fuel dilution like this. Last, SODIUM! EEK! is this anything to worry about? I know that PP does not use Sodium, and I also know that it could be residual, but thats A LOT of residual additive from a previous oil am I right?...considering a significant amount of the old oil drains out. It would be easier to pin the sodium on coolant but there is no potassium...but does anybody know if Honda premix blue even uses potassium as an additive? Thanks for looking guys! Post up your thoughts!
Screenshot_2016-01-11-18-29-38_zpsgt6essov.png

Seeing Titanium also. I dont think the sodium is high if they used valvoline just prior to your change. Do another short interval but give it a good 20-30 min hwy run before changing it out and see what the next UOA says.

I wouldnt be worried about the iron yet either.

Last edited:
What do you have AGAINST driving your car?
Ever heard of a casual Sunday drive?
Take the scenic route home?

Maybe it's just me, maybe I just love driving, but I'm pretty sure I have driven my riding lawnmower more last year than you have driven a car.

Either drive it or sell it and walk.

Greg seriously, you are a prime candidate for a 100% electric car.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

Maybe it's just me, maybe I just love driving, but I'm pretty sure I have driven my riding lawnmower more last year than you have driven a car.

He would just worry about battery sulfation.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: Brybo86

He would just worry about battery sulfation.
LOL

Lol, I have nothing against driving my car. I too love to drive. Its just that the only place that we ever go that uses the interstate isnt that far away, and the actual use of the interstate only lasts for 5 to maybe 10 minutes at most. I also take the "long" way to work which is 5 miles, the other way is 0.9 miles, thats right less than 1 mile.

I agree about the sodium -- typical treat rates are in the 300-500 PPM range I think. At 100 PPM, you're probably seeing residual sodium from a previous fill.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Lol, I have nothing against driving my car. I too love to drive. Its just that the only place that we ever go that uses the interstate isnt that far away, and the actual use of the interstate only lasts for 5 to maybe 10 minutes at most. I also take the "long" way to work which is 5 miles, the other way is 0.9 miles, thats right less than 1 mile.

I think I'd walk to work, better for you and your car.
Just an idea.
Smoky

Greg, you must realize that millions of people drive these Accords and don't care what oil is used - many go 200,000 miles or more w/o problems. 7 ppm iron is almost nothing - you will trade this car in long before you hit 200k miles, just like you did with your last Accord which was overly babied. So your concern is that you make a perfect used car for the next guy? The dilution will work itself out as the engine gets broken in, even with all your short trips. Take the short way to work, you're wasting gas. Follow the OLM.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Last, SODIUM! EEK! is this anything to worry about? I know that PP does not use Sodium, and I also know that it could be residual, but thats A LOT of residual additive from a previous oil am I right?...considering a significant amount of the old oil drains out.

I would not make any conclusion since you don't know what oil was in use before. Many oils (Valvoline, Mobil Super, etc) use sodium as additive. Simplest thing to do is to send one more sample after next oil changing.

BTW,
Why people so crazy about PPP+? More than regular additive pack for $$$$. Especially if car does not require synthetic at all. Pennzoil conventional 5W20 is more than fine for this car (I know, 0W20 is specified. One more silliness, IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back