Last round in mag stovepipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Not "riding the slide" or "limp wristing"

Always the last round. I have 2 mags and see no difference. I have cleaned the mags. I will isolate the mag used when it occurred. It happened once before and I don't know which mag was used.

Cleaned and oiled the pistol just before the issue. Clean as a whistle. Ejector look fine.
confused.gif

S&W .380 Sigma

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: totegoat
I've never seen a reliable 380. Wouldn't own one.

Thanks for the useful post.

Load one round in each mag and look at them closely. Might be one mag holding the back of the round low and the slide misses the rim but still strips it out of the mag. Marking the mags as you said is where to start.

I had a CZ rimfire mag that would jam last round every time, the follower was in the mag backwards. Worth a look.

Any chance the magazine feed lip has widened allowing the follower to stick out more than normal and possibly causing some contact issues?

Is the loss of mass from it being the last round the issue ? Can you load a clip of one round and the rest empties and see what happens ? I seem to recall my Dad having an issue with an old Browning recoil shotgun that acted up with light loads and an empty mag.

I don't know that platform, but in a 1911 95% of the time it's the spring. Another 4.9% of the time, it's the combination of Devel follower AND a weak spring.
wink.gif
The spring is weakest at this point, near full extension.

Wolff springs are good for this issue.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I've never seen a reliable 380. Wouldn't own one.

+1 I don't like them all the way around. They just seem under powered all the way around. Too light, too light spring tension, not powerful enough ballistics....it's like you are at a complete disadvantage before you get started. 9mm is so much better and not that much larger.

Have you tried a different ammo? I had a .45 that would jam with one brand of inexpensive ammo but was completely reliable with better quality rounds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wheel
Is the loss of mass from it being the last round the issue ? Can you load a clip of one round and the rest empties and see what happens ? I seem to recall my Dad having an issue with an old Browning recoil shotgun that acted up with light loads and an empty mag.

This sounds like something to look at. A stovepipe has nothing to do with a weak magazine spring. The gun is having an issue ejecting the cartridge, not loading the next one.

The old A5 type shottys use a long recoil and friction ring setup that is very ammo sensitive. You actually have to disassemble the gun and set up the friction rings different for light or heavy loads (and if shooting very light loads, even lube it more). No production pistol ever made works on this system, so mass has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

The old A5 type shottys use a long recoil and friction ring setup that is very ammo sensitive. You actually have to disassemble the gun and set up the friction rings different for light or heavy loads (and if shooting very light loads, even lube it more). No production pistol ever made works on this system, so mass has nothing to do with it.

Mass can have have a lot to do with it. Just because the pistol doesn't use the same mechanism as the shotgun in his example does not mean mass cannot play a part in the ejection of the cartridge in the OP's pistol. He says he isn't 'limp wristing' it, but that could be his subjective opinion. The mass of the pistol and the shooter's action could very well be the cause. Especially since it happens on the last round of each magazine.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

This sounds like something to look at. A stovepipe has nothing to do with a weak magazine spring. The gun is having an issue ejecting the cartridge, not loading the next one.

Actually this needs clarifying by the OP. Basded on his description that he possibly attributed it to limp wristing, and that it was always the last round of a single magazine, I and others seemed to assume he was talking properly about an FTF - live round not loading, vs a true FTE - spent cartridge traped with case mouth out of the slide and cartridge base inside.

If indeed a true FTE, then not spring related.

Y
Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Actually this needs clarifying by the OP. Basded on his description that he possibly attributed it to limp wristing, and that it was always the last round of a single magazine, I and others seemed to assume he was talking properly about an FTF - live round not loading, vs a true FTE - spent cartridge traped with case mouth out of the slide and cartridge base inside.

The title of the post is 'last round stovepipes.' Why did you assume it was something else?

Not sure I follow. Are you saying the last round fired is stove piping or that the pistol stove pipes with one round left in the mag?
The LAST round is in the chamber and the mag is empty, you fire and the gun stove pipes? If this is the case try loading just one round in the pistol then removing the magazine. Fire it and see if you can duplicate the problem. This may at least tell you if it's the magazine (causing the trouble) or the pistol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Yes indeed.

It stovepipes the incoming unfired round. I know its not "limp wrist" bc my strong arm is straight...and...I was over conscious about it to see if it was a factor.

Thanks @wheel for the loss of mass. I will check that but not limp wristiong would seem to eliminate this possibility. It has had the issue with 2 brands of ammo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back