California gas price increases everyday !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Didn't know. I do my best to avoid anything CA related. I still stand behind my main point which is it costs more overall to live in CA than other areas of the country.

Prop 13 is great. My grandparents bought this house for $33k in 1968, so property tax is around $1500 a year. My neighbors property tax is based on their buying their house for $999k.

Originally Posted By: Al
Also in the oil producing business there is no "Cartel" their back was broken many years ago.

I just blew my coffee through my nose when I read this! Ouch! Hilarious! Seriously dude, the only people who say things this ridiculous work for the oil industry...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Didn't know. I do my best to avoid anything CA related. I still stand behind my main point which is it costs more overall to live in CA than other areas of the country.

Prop 13 is great. My grandparents bought this house for $33k in 1968, so property tax is around $1500 a year. My neighbors property tax is based on their buying their house for $999k.

That is one I will have to give to CA if that is how it works. Around here they manipulate your home's value to get extra money all the time. We have to pay property tax 2X's a year and it is very common for the 2nd half bill to be larger because they raised the value to get extra money. If they do a town wide assessment and home values fall they just raise the $$$ p/$1000 rate. One way or the other they get the $$$ they want.

Another thing that bugs the heck out of me is that the assessed value is always way higher than actual value. Not supposed to be that way and you can fight it but it is hard to win. So I actually like CA's way of doing it( hey, a pig just flew past my office window!!!
crazy2.gif
).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
That is one I will have to give to CA if that is how it works.

Proposition 13 is 1 of the very few benefits for CA home owners.

You paid your property tax this year and knowing how much you tax will be next year is better for you to prepare your budget.

Last edited:
CA property taxes are not terrible at all. A $1.2M house around here would be about $20k-$30k a year in property taxes. Those also change every year, so a lot of elderly people on fixed incomes are forced to move. I know a number of people with beach houses that were bought by a parent in the 50's or 60's for a song, and now worth $1.5M, they have to sell them because they cannot afford the taxes. Or if the parents are in them they are forced to move because they can no longer afford the taxes.

My commercial site is assed at 1.4ish something like that and I pay just about $2k a month towards property taxes so around $24k a year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
CA property taxes are not terrible at all. A $1.2M house around here would be about $20k-$30k a year in property taxes. Those also change every year, so a lot of elderly people on fixed incomes are forced to move. I know a number of people with beach houses that were bought by a parent in the 50's or 60's for a song, and now worth $1.5M, they have to sell them because they cannot afford the taxes. Or if the parents are in them they are forced to move because they can no longer afford the taxes.

My commercial site is assed at 1.4ish something like that and I pay just about $2k a month towards property taxes so around $24k a year.

Very true sadly and have had it happen in my own family.

My Grandmother actually had to sell the "summer cottage"( actually a 10 room/3 bath huge house )on the lake I spent most of my summers at growing up after my Grandfather died because she couldn't afford the property tax bills. She was being hit with $15K+ a year on property taxes way back in the mid 90's. It was eating up the money she had to survive on( and she lived to be 98 - over a decade past selling it ).

She also had a similar tax bill for her year round main house as well. My Grandparents were very well off, and when my Grandfather was still alive they could afford it( plus taxes weren't that high as said ^^^ way back when ). After he passed my Grandmother had to live off her SS and the money and investments set aside for her. $25K - $30K+ a year just for property taxes was too much never mind repair and upkeep, electric, heat, etc....

The family was devastated when the cottage was sold as my Grandfather loved that place, as did we all, but it was just too much $$$ for 3 or 4 months tops out of the year. Some of us chipped in for a few years to see if that would help but it was just too much so it was sold.

The other kicker was, and I eluded to it earlier, is the inaccuracy of assessed values for property tax purposes vs. real world values if you want to sell. They hit my Grandmother up for taxes on the cottage with an assessed value of the property( big house, large lot, right on the lake itself )for $750K on the last tax bill( $18K!!!
crazy2.gif
). However, despite listing it at $500K and having it on the market for 2 years waiting she ended up settling for $475K. very typical of tax value vs actual value.

Last edited:
The other kicker was, and I eluded to it earlier, is the inaccuracy of assessed values for property tax purposes vs. real world values if you want to sell. They hit my Grandmother up for taxes on the cottage with an assessed value of the property( big house, large lot, right on the lake itself )for $750K on the last tax bill( $18K!!!
crazy2.gif
). However, despite listing it at $500K and having it on the market for 2 years waiting she ended up settling for $475K. very typical of tax value vs actual value.

California has many bad laws, but the proposition 13 is 1 of the best thing we have in protecting the home owners from local government raising property value for tax purpose.

If someone in CA like your Grandmother bought the main house many years before at $40-50k, then with prop 13 he/she would have a property tax bill at around $600-700 instead of $18,000.

That's true....but the double edge sword is that the homeowner in Rancho Palos Verdes with a home purchased in 1970 ( prior to Prop 13 ) and currently valued at 850K might pay the same property tax as a 900 sq. ft. bungalow in the Watts ghetto purchased in 1995. Unfortunately, that's inequitable no matter how you slice it.

I like Prop 13 as I think the same legislature that was high fiving itself over 68 billion dollar high speed rail would be more than questionable in its ability to prevent 3% property tax rates if Prop 13 wasn't there. That still won't prevent someone like me paying 75% more in property taxes in the last two years due to Great Recession valuations versus updated valuations where comps indicate my property would now sell for 35% more than it did two or three years ago. It's still 1.125% including local taxes with a healthy market price increase...basically just back to paying tax on 2005 valuations.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
crazy2.gif

California has many bad laws, but the proposition 13 is 1 of the best thing we have in protecting the home owners from local government raising property value for tax purpose.

If someone in CA like your Grandmother bought the main house many years before at $40-50k, then with prop 13 he/she would have a property tax bill at around $600-700 instead of $18,000.

The consequence is also government trying everything they can to make your old house an eminent domain, and older neighborhood not having enough tax to pay for qualified school.

You have to pay for quality, one way or another.

Stations here definitely do it( I know people who work at stations who have told me this - AAA has reported on it as have many news stations - old news actually as it has been going on forever ). They slowly start raising prices about 7-10 days before and they keep them up for a while after to try and give the appearance it wasn't them gouging during the holiday driving season. Keep an eye on the prices once the New Year is past and they will go down again ( unless they use another excuse ).

Wow - you nailed it. Prices have started to drop. Though I'm sure it is completely coincidental. (End sarcasm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back