what do you think of this Lucas product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention, an ILSAC lube meeting those specs? Either AZ's description is totally out to lunch, or Lucas just enjoys claiming the impossible, which is not without precedent for them.

Maybe there are special instructions to make it LL compliant if you properly stabilize the oil, if you get my drift.

It's a mineral oil with:
Standards: Exceeds American AND European OEM specifications, exceeds performance levels of API SM/SL/SJ/CF, ILSAC GF-4, ACEA A3-98, B3-98, B4-98, VW 500/502/505, Daimler Chrysler 229.1, BMW Longlife Oil.

All the specs are a little old, it's SM & GF-4 not SN & GF-5, the ACEA A3 spec is '98 when the most recent is 2012, the BMW spec is undated but it's probably an older one too. I'm always nervous of the word "exceeds" which can often mean it's hasn't gone through the official approval process.

I wouldn't put it in a new BMW, but it's probably fine for an older regular car. It all depends on your application.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
The Lucas oil site doesn't match what Autozone has:

http://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_SAE-5W-30-MO-reg.pdf

Note this is product #10474, #10475 (the same number on the Autozone site).

The Lucas URL says it meets: API SN, ILSAC GF-5, ACEA 01-08, B1-08.

No reference to ACEA A3, BMW LL 98/01, VW 502 or MB 229.1.

stuff at A.Z. is prolly just old stock

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
stuff at A.Z. is prolly just old stock

I went to the Autozone link and can't read the back of the bottle, but I have a very hard time believing a 5W30 conventional meets VW502, VW505 (a diesel spec), ACEA A3, MB 229.1, etc.

The 5 qt. jugs that I bought (for either $5 or $10 each....I can't remember) say "API SN/SM/SL/SJ/, ILSAC GF-5 ACEA A3-04,B3-04,B4-04.

I'm not totally up to date on Euro specs but it seems like some decent specs for the price I paid...I'll run this oil in my daughters Elantra or Corolla or maybe in my Focus or Escape after a few thousand miles of break-in. I'd like to know the viscosity #'s but Lucas PDS aren't easy to find....

PS: I just saw Curtis Newtons post which gives the PDS on the SN version...it's a bit thick at 11 @ 100*C but it should do fine in my older (08") Corolla and Elantra. I'm still not sure if I consider this an 'extended OCI' oil...??

Lawnmower oil or 3k beater changes only,
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5
It's a mineral oil with:
Standards: Exceeds American AND European OEM specifications, exceeds performance levels of API SM/SL/SJ/CF, ILSAC GF-4, ACEA A3-98, B3-98, B4-98, VW 500/502/505, Daimler Chrysler 229.1, BMW Longlife Oil.

All the specs are a little old, it's SM & GF-4 not SN & GF-5, the ACEA A3 spec is '98 when the most recent is 2012, the BMW spec is undated but it's probably an older one too. I'm always nervous of the word "exceeds" which can often mean it's hasn't gone through the official approval process.

I wouldn't put it in a new BMW, but it's probably fine for an older regular car. It all depends on your application.

So in other words it isn't actually approved for anything? LOL!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
wink.gif

Come on Justin....it's got to be good for at least 5K in a Corolla or Elantra...maybe even 6 or 7K...

Originally Posted By: pbm
wink.gif

Come on Justin....it's got to be good for at least 5K in a Corolla or Elantra...maybe even 6 or 7K...

How would you know?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: pbm
wink.gif

How would you know?

I would think that any SN rated oil is good for 5 or 6K in a non-turbo application.

PS: I know that Lucas is 'sketchy' with their brightstock additive but are all Lucas products really bad??

They under treat everything, I'm guessing they barely pass the specs they meet not exceeding like most do, but I don't know for sure.

You haven't a clue!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
They under treat everything, I'm guessing they barely pass the specs they meet not exceeding like most do, but I don't know for sure.

You haven't a clue!
lol.gif

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/lucassynth.htm

Their synthetic 5w-30 (what is being discussed).

Volatility: Average: 9.9%, Lucas: 14.9% (right on the edge of not passing)

21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back