Bypass filter orifice on inflow or outflow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply which side is best location?
I have 3 older ones from Purolator and they all have the 1/16 restriction orifice on the outflow back to the sump. I dont think it matters.

Last edited:
All the bypass filters I have seen on semi trucks, industrial flathead engines and Amsoil setups have been on the out put side

If the orifice is put after the filter, then the filter itself will see more static oil pressure than if the orifice is put before the filter. But the flow rate through the orifice and filter should be the same regardless of where it's located. The filter itself shouldn't really produce any flow restriction because the oil flow through it is super low due to the orifice.

Some bypasses, especially older ones with old seals, will leak under pressure. Avoid potential leaks by putting orifice before filter.

Other than that, makes no difference.

How would you put an orifice on the in flow side of a filter?

My bypass setup from Amsoil has it on the out flow, after the filter.

Just go to where America shops! Ebay. Type in and search for "turbo oil feed restrictor." Depending upon what day it is, here is an example of what you can find:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Turbo-Oil-Feed-Restrictor-Fitting-4AN-GT30R-GT35R-/201134844671?hash=item2ed4922aff:m:m62hOTxd6NRfVCpaGaLvqgQ&vxp=mtr

I got lucky and found an an4 adapter to 1/8 npt with 3 replaceable different size thread in "jets." It even came with a hex key to change orifices. I can change them in about 5 minutes.

Hope this helps, Have fun!

Originally Posted By: zpinch
How would you put an orifice on the in flow side of a filter?

My bypass setup from Amsoil has it on the out flow, after the filter.

On the Amsoil Bypass system it goes on the out flow side. What Amsoil system are you using?

If it's the single BMK21 it should already have the .032" orfice installed. If your using the Dual-Gard like mine, then the orifice goes on the outflow side. Go to the amsoil sight and download the instructions.:)

Probably not an issue but if a large chunk of debris would flow through, it could get caught in the orifice when on the inlet side but the filter is less likely to develop a leak if the orifice on the inlet side.

The old Frantz filter have it on the "out" the new Oil Refiner on the "in". Dont see as it make a whole lot of difference other than having it on the out will push down on the element more at the top, which could be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back