PEA % Techron vs Gumout regain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a bottle of Techron at Walmart for my Saturn. On the neck of the bottle was a cardboard sleeve that proclaimed "50% more active ingredient than the leading competitor".
I'm assuming they are referring to Gumout with Regain.
Anybody know what lovels of PEA both brands are using?

I don't know the answer but have noticed that Techron doesn't say
it has Regane whereas Gumout does. Because of that I bought the Gumout the other day. Seems to me, and I may be wrong, that Techron used to say it contained Regane.

As far as I know, Regane is a product name of Gumout's and not an ingredient like PEA. If I'm not mistaken, there's a thread on here somewhere that states that Techron contains more PEA than the comparable Gumout product. If that's the case, I'd buy the Techron.

Originally Posted By: RevelationLion
But, do these products do a good job of cleaning caked on carbon deposits from piston tops?

In the world we currently live in, these products represent the best cleaning chemical technology we know how to apply, with regard to cleaning combustion chambers. Is that good enough? Its up to you to decide that.

Always watch for the Registered Trade Mark symbol or an indication somewhere on the label that notes a Registered Trade Mark or Registered Trade Name. That's your clue that the company selling you the product has exclusive rights to a name for some chemical (for example) with a conventional description.

Eg:
Zoop ®
Zoop is H2O
The jar will say "we have the highest concentration of Zoop ® you can buy in this product family". No-one else can claim to contain Zoop®, since to do so would be a violation of Intellectual Property Law, so obviously it's true. But other products may contain just as much, or more, actual water (H2O).

You can see a real-world example of this in action if you spend a moment the next time a Pharma company puts a TV or Magazine ad up with regard to a drug they are marketing.

There have been legal problems for Pharma companies with certain drugs and IP Law. You are required to defend your Trade Names; which means (and this always causes web blogs and forums to explode in indignation, blaming the company when it's really not the company's fault) you MUST by law send the cease and desist letter, and follow that up with legal action up to and including a lawsuit, if the letter fails to work.

If you don't, you will lose the right to that name. So, Aspirin® is no longer a legal trade name, because Bayer failed to sue everyone who used that name when they should have used ASA instead of Aspirin®. So Aspirin® is now Aspirin (no trade mark), and anyone can use it to refer to ASA.

Today you see drugs marketed with the Trade Name and the Generic Description together. This is to insure the Trade Name maintains it's legal protection.

I think that Regane High Mileage has the highest PEA%. Gumout answered a lot of the Q&A questions. After reading those I settled on the Regane High Mileage.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
I think that Regane High Mileage has the highest PEA%. Gumout answered a lot of the Q&A questions. After reading those I settled on the Regane High Mileage.

Thanks for this. I saw some at Wal-mart today.

Will regular use of MMO increase the likelihood of Techron or Gumout to deep-clean the piston tops? MMO would soften the carbon to be more easily removed?

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Forget about MMO. Won't do squat as a gasoline additive.

At the very minimum, MMO is a softener.

I used some Lucas UCL in my car, and from what I've seen on this forum I'm somewhat regretting it.

Should I throw in some Gumout/Techron in too, or run down the tank first and then add Gumout/techron?

Do not mix. Rundown the tank. In fact rundown twice before adding something else in. Also what problems are you currently having?

As for the ChrisFix tests, they all worked in my opinion. Each has subtle effects and they are suppose to be that way. He just considers it busted because it doesn't match what's advertised in the pictures. However it still cleaned and THAT's the important fact. It cleaned and you don't want all that carbon dislodged quickly. That carbon must go somewhere. If you are lucky it'll get combusted and come out your tailpipe, otherwise it'll end up in your oil and eventually your oil filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kyoo
I used some Lucas UCL in my car, and from what I've seen on this forum I'm somewhat regretting it.

Don't regret it; it won't help.
wink.gif
I would agree to run it out, and then try Regane or Techron or Red Line SI-1 or the Amsoil equivalent.

Originally Posted By: razel
Do not mix. Rundown the tank. In fact rundown twice before adding something else in. Also what problems are you currently having?

As for the ChrisFix tests, they all worked in my opinion. Each has subtle effects and they are suppose to be that way. He just considers it busted because it doesn't match what's advertised in the pictures. However it still cleaned and THAT's the important fact. It cleaned and you don't want all that carbon dislodged quickly. That carbon must go somewhere. If you are lucky it'll get combusted and come out your tailpipe, otherwise it'll end up in your oil and eventually your oil filter.

thanks for the help. I will run the tank empty twice before adding another, which is likely gumout high mileage.

no problems per se, just doing what I can for any preventative maintenance. figured my higher mileage cars (85k & 197k) could use it.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

I believe Gumout stated that All In One had more PEA than High Mileage formula....

Bill

Last edited:
Question 27-

I am confused by how your fuel treatments are marketed. Regane Complete, Regane High Mileage, and All-In-One Complete seem to serve the same purpose. I never really know which one to choose since the only thing discerning them are their names and sizes. Why not simplify it to one formula? Do I get more detergents by buying the All-In-One/Regane High Mileage over Regane Complete? Is it possible to use too much or too often?

All 3 have PEA as the cleaning agent, has an additional friction modifier to lubricate upper cylinders, which is especially helpful for older vehicles that may have more wear and tear than newer vehicles. has more PEA and friction modifier and treats more gallons than the other 2 products, so it provides the most benefits of the three items. We provide consumers with multiple product choices based on what their engines need, how many gallons they want to treat and the value they place for each product. Regarding how much to use, we recommend using one entire bottle before you fill up. Each of these three products will last up to 3,000 miles.

Bill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back