Mobil1 vs Amsoil European 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've pulled both spec sheets and both of these European 0W-40's seem very similar. I like both oils and I use both depending on the mood I'm in at the time. Well, actually I probably use Mobil1 more often as Walmart is 4 miles from my garage and Amsoil is 30 miles from my garage. I have both in my garage at present. I'm not a fan boy of either. I'm not trying to cause any problems. I probably have a slight emotional connection to Amsoil as the dealer is a great guy. Just trying to be as honest as possible.

The only "big" difference I see from the Technical Properties sheets on each one is that the TBN is 11.8 on the Mobil1 and 10.1 on the Amsoil. Amsoil says there 0w-40 is good for Renault and MB 229.1 and Mobil1 is good for Nissan GT-R. Viscosity's are the "same." Shear is the "same." VI is the "same." I couldn't find the Noack Volatility on the Mobil1.

I merely want to know the meaningful physical/chemical differences between these 2 oils.

Well, Amsoil's Noack is 9.9 I guess that is a significant difference.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Tell me, how would one answer the question, which oil is best in real life driving?

I doubt is there would be any real difference. But that is not the question I'm asking.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Well, Amsoil's Noack is 9.9 I guess that is a significant difference.

No. This isnt a significant difference..its one factor of the oils makeup. But if you want to pick M1 over another oil based on specs you can..but doesnt make it the better oil. I wonder if there is a difference in the basestocks used between the two?

Last edited:
Isn't that what you're looking for by examining the details? You could say who cares what's in the bottle as long as it does the job.

I would bet that saying one TBN is higher would have the formulator of the other oil saying something like, yes but my oil is better at retaining its TBN. The final answer might be which brand to you trust.

I would say that one could choose either oil and never know the difference. Either oil is an excellent choice. But what fun would that be?

Drive one car 200K and tear the engine down with one oil, then do the same with the other. Compare the difference. UOAs and stats won't help much.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
... Either oil is an excellent choice. But what fun would that be?

Amen!

I merely want to know the meaningful physical/chemical differences between these 2 oils.

An extremely vague and meaningless question since no one here knows the actual material composition of either oil. You've looked through the spec sheets already, look at the approvals they carry or don't carry.

The answer is probably "none" but that's a definite probably.

Bottom line is that no one here (as far as I know) is going to be able to give you more details, assuming they understand the question in the first place.

Nothing meaningful, most likely as far as physical properties go.

What is meaningful is that one officially meets a ton of euro mfg specs and the other one doesnt, but thats only relevant if your engine is still under warranty and calls for one of these specs.

I use everything that comes out as most do from boredom.
I used M1 when it first hit the market. Haven't used it in years though.
I think Mobil 1 gets the nod because it's relatively cheap and available everywhere. That is the drawl to it- IMHO.

Amsoil has great service, so does amazon. But unless you pick up Amsoil locally it can get expensive. However unless you're servicing many cars it's not really a big deal.
I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Could be differences in the percentage of PAO (Group IV) vs. Group III (highly refined & modified crude oil).

Mobil 1 0w-40 was almost all-PAO about a decade ago, and then started putting in cheaper Group III basestocks to mix with around half-PAO and still "passing" all specs of course.

http://www.eclipse95.altervista.org/olio/mobil-1-new-live.pdf ...see slides 20-on for the story. Some extra high temperature deposits and cold flow properties was about the extent of the reduced performance from the looks of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Could be differences in the percentage of PAO (Group IV) vs. Group III (highly refined & modified crude oil).

Mobil 1 0w-40 was almost all-PAO about a decade ago, and then started putting in cheaper Group III basestocks to mix with around half-PAO and still "passing" all specs of course.

http://www.eclipse95.altervista.org/olio/mobil-1-new-live.pdf ...see slides 20-on for the story. Some extra high temperature deposits and cold flow properties was about the extent of the reduced performance from the looks of it.

He asked for meaningful differences. Besides, you are claiming to know the composition of M1 today and the Amsoil oil?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

An extremely vague and meaningless question since no one here knows the actual material composition of either oil. You've looked through the spec sheets already, look at the approvals they carry or don't carry.

The answer is probably "none" but that's a definite probably.

Bottom line is that no one here (as far as I know) is going to be able to give you more details, assuming they understand the question in the first place.

What do you not understand? Since this is BITOG, I am believing there are individuals here who can be very specific in elaborating on the chemical/physical differences between both oils. I could care less about which is better. Since they aren't the same oil I am merely trying to learn about the differences in the chemical/physical make up of each oil. I included the facts in my opening question because I wanted you to see that I have done research on my own but I want to go deeper. I don't think this is a meaningless or vague question at all(?)

Last edited:
He asked for meaningful differences. Besides, you are claiming to know the composition of M1 today and the Amsoil oil?

Those are differences, and you can assign whatever "meaning" you want. I haven't claimed to know what Amsoil is blending, no. Never have. Having trouble with your reading comprehension again, or are you simply grumpy again?

Ok, please delete the word "meaningful" in my question. Maybe that will be clear as mud. LOL

What are the chemical/physical differences in both oils aside from what I noted in my original question?

Last edited:

Those are differences, and you can assign whatever "meaning" you want. I haven't claimed to know what Amsoil is blending, no. Never have. Having trouble with your reading comprehension again, or are you simply grumpy again?

+1

This is the type of info I am looking for. THANKS! 45 pages.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back