Pirelli P7 All Season Plus 205/55 16H

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 VW Beetle, new OE Bilstein gas struts and shocks, new OE springs, new Sachs mounts, still rode terrible, bone jarring over small bumps, pot holes would put your spine out.
The tire the previous owner put on had 1K on them but cheap Sumic all seasons, pure garbage. The guy had a hard time getting them off the rim, they were stiffer than a 2x4

Got a good deal on the P7 All Season Plus from my local dealer $100 ea and $5 a tire to mount and balance BTB price.
The ride is night and day, it rides like new almost a different car, cold temperatures don't degrade the ride quality. Steering response is excellent, these tires are quiet, almost silent.

I have a car with P4 and another with P Zero and these are superior to the P4 all season in every respect, the zero handles better but its a soft compound dedicated summer tire but the P7 rides better and is quieter.
This car doesn't have enough power to pull your hat off but still in first in the rain the cheesy Sumics would spin and induce torque steer, not the P7 which grab well with no drama.

Anyone looking for good tires should look at these before deciding.

This was my exact experience with the P7 +'s I put on my 2004 Beetle TDI. I couldn't believe the difference on rough roads and even speed bumps! This was compared to the old Michelin HydroEdge's.

My favorite tires by far, hands down.

My wife has these on her 2005 Legacy turbo wagon and they are wonderful. They actually are winter capable for a performance all-season too based on positive experience with last storm we had in New england.

Thanks for the great review.

I think Pirelli P7 All Season Plus is 1 of the best AS tires at very reasonable price. It is as good as top of the line Michelin AS tire for less money.

I always wonder about Sumic, sure it's a Sumi Rubber brand but don't they get that Poison Sumac is considered a Bad Thing?
laugh.gif

The only other tire i can remember that was as miserable as the Sumic were made in Czechoslovakia by Barum in the 80's.
Driving in the rain was literally the same as driving on ice with those.

Sumic, Blacklion, Goodride, all of the Chinese bricks are an accident waiting to happen. People are to cheap to realize that tires are THE most important thing on the vehicle and then complain to me when they outright refused even a Toyo or a Yoko. I tried!

Originally Posted By: Pepsibottle1
Sumic, Blacklion, Goodride, all of the Chinese bricks are an accident waiting to happen. People are to cheap to realize that tires are THE most important thing on the vehicle and then complain to me when they outright refused even a Toyo or a Yoko. I tried!
I agree, can't believe how cheap some people can be. Today I'm sitting at a light next to a $35,000+ dollar Jeep Wrangler. On it were Hercules tires. Probably the cheapest ones they could get...

+1 on the Hercules aren't bad. I was highly impressed with my Hercules Tour 4.0 tires that had more than 3/32nd left on them when I took them off with 49,000 miles on them. To be honest, they had better dry grip than the General RT43's I have on my Camry now that replaced the Hercules....and I found their wet grip to be as good or better as well. The only things the Generals are really better for is that they do provide a softer ride that tend to absorb road imperfections better and they are also somewhat better in snow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pepsibottle1

Sumics are not Chinese....where did you get THAT idea?
Sumic are Indonesian:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2855271

As far as its quality goes....okay as a summer tire....worked fine in Florida...got hard and slippery at freezing temps in Illinois...
...but it's nowhere near as good as the similarly priced Cooper CS5 UT I now have on the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Got a good deal on the P7 All Season Plus from my local dealer ...
The ride is night and day, it rides like new almost a different car, cold temperatures don't degrade the ride quality. Steering response is excellent, these tires are quiet, almost silent.

In my notes I have found others have reported that these tires get very noisy. I don't know if that comes later with time or mileage but keep us posted on if you notice much road noise since that is something that is important for my application.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Got a good deal on the P7 All Season Plus from my local dealer

Pirellis are decent tires, I don't doubt that.
I just have problems with my money going to the Chinese government by way of a state owned company. I avoid funding them if I can.

My most recent tires purchases have been Goodyear, Uniroyal, Michelin and Mastercraft (Cooper.) There are other respectable choices out there.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
Pirellis are decent tires, I don't doubt that.
I just have problems with my money going to the Chinese government by way of a state owned company. I avoid funding them if I can.

I wasn't aware,until you mentioned it, that a Chinese company was now the majority shareholder in Pirelli.

However, I must say that I'm very pleased with the Pirelli P7 AS/Plus tires I purchased last spring. The quality is excellent and the price was much less than for similar Michelins. I will probably buy them again, and recommend them to my friends.

Gross Generalizations in regards to Chinese tires here on BITOG. Are some Chinese tires lacking in performance....absolutely! But hardly an accident waiting to happen.

Hercules does makes some good tires BTW. Another gross generalization.

Stock up and add to that 200 quart stash guys.....that works a lot better than these gross generalization.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back