Triple QX oil specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EuroCarParts have Triple QX fully synthetic. 0w30, 5w30 and 5w40
I've been using this in my 2.0l petrol skoda for the last 15 months.

Does anyone have any specs for this oil? Could never find this.

Next OCI will be with Shell Helix Ultra (got a very good deal on this over xmas)

I've used it in customers cars for a couple of years without any complaints but good luck getting specs from Euros, they'll only tell you it meets the cert's on the bottle.

Send some to Millers for analysis

OT: Back in the late 70's I spent some time in the UK and used an oil called Duckham's....is it still around? If so is it considered good?

You don't see the Duckhams brand any more, not sure if they changed name or got bought out or whatever..People used it and regarded it as good, but not the best.

I've been using the fully synthetic TQX 5W40 for a while in several vehicles without problems other than to make the observation that it's at the thick end of 5W40 compared to say Helix ultra.

I have the data sheet as a PDF but don't see an option to post it as an attachment.

Here's the data:

Density at 15 °C, kg/l 0,858
Viscosity -30 °C, mPa.s 6110
Viscosity 40 °C, mm²/s 87,40
Viscosity 100 °C, mm²/s 14,40
Viscosity Index 172
Flash Point COC, °C 223
Pour Point, °C -30
Total Base Number, mgKOH/g 9,7
Sulphate Ash, % 1,22

Originally Posted By: barryh
I've been using the fully synthetic TQX 5W40 for a while in several vehicles without problems other than to make the observation that it's at the thick end of 5W40 compared to say Helix ultra.

I have the data sheet as a PDF but don't see an option to post it as an attachment.

Here's the data:

Density at 15 °C, kg/l 0,858
Viscosity -30 °C, mPa.s 6110
Viscosity 40 °C, mm²/s 87,40
Viscosity 100 °C, mm²/s 14,40
Viscosity Index 172
Flash Point COC, °C 223
Pour Point, °C -30
Total Base Number, mgKOH/g 9,7
Sulphate Ash, % 1,22

Many thanks.

That is thick isn't it?

Helix Ultra 5w40
13.1 @ 100c

Because of that, do you think it will it shear quicker than, for example, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40?

I'm looking for a "thick" 0W40 or 5W40 oil, but if it shears to Shell's thickness after 500 miles..

I think it will shear more quickly than any other oil because it is so cheap!

I remember when euro introduced the QX range, they were on all the forums promoting BOGOFs and free filters and such - I followed the Volvo forum and the Merc forums who were hounding Euro for info such as who blends it, base stock, add pack, MRV etc etc etc, and Euro dodged the question every time. They said it was propreitary, they said it was client confidentiality, they said it meets the specs so it must be good enough, but they never EVER gave any real info.

It meets spec but it's usually the cheapest oil available in the country, I know about buying power but they have to be saving the pennies somewhere..

All just my own opinion of course.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Because of that, do you think it will it shear quicker than, for example, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40?

I'm looking for a "thick" 0W40 or 5W40 oil, but if it shears to Shell's thickness after 500 miles..

Your OWN country's Motul products, especially their 300V 0W/5W-40s are plenty thick, and supposed almost shear proof, due to a very high, multiple POE/group 5 content base stock.
smile.gif

But, you may not want to pay the premium for it, even in your country (but guessing it is A LOT less than what WE pay in the states for it
21.gif
).

Price is a problem
smile.gif

For example, here:

- Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is ~4-5,5€/L
- M1 0W40 is ~10€/L
- M1 5W50 is ~10/11€/L
- 300V is ~12-12,5€/L but you can sometimes get it on sale for around the same price as M1 0W40

I can get triple QX from UK for a decent price, but the more I read about it, the more it appears a low end oil, am I wrong?

300V 0W40 is thinner than M1 0W40. I'm trying to get my hands on Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40, currently without success...not sure how 300V 5W40 will do in a 1998 diesel^^

Where did u get the pdf for the tripleqx oil from? Do you have pdfs for the other oil grades?

I can get triple QX from UK for a decent price, but the more I read about it, the more it appears a low end oil, am I wrong?

You're dead right, it's at the low end of the market.
However it meets all the specs listed on the bottle, so it's not complete rubbish.

Originally Posted By: Olas

You're dead right, it's at the low end of the market.
However it meets all the specs listed on the bottle, so it's not complete rubbish.

Quite glad I changed mine after 10 months of good use then.

Got new Triple QX 5w40 in right now (since a month ago) but am planning to put the Helix Ultra in very soon. (have 20 litres of it)

Skoda is running fine but needs a good few changes of oil. The triple qx was black within a couple of weeks.

Originally Posted By: slybunda
Where did u get the pdf for the tripleqx oil from? Do you have pdfs for the other oil grades?

I only have the data sheet for 5W40 and found that on a Rover forum. I could post the link but you would have to sign up to the forum to download the PDF. The poster said he asked ECP for it and they sent it.

If anyone wants to pm me with an e-mail address I'll reply with the PDF attached.

As for quality I think it can't be that bad if it's Acea A3/B4 and meets the spec of 229.3.
I'm personally using it for very low OCI's - not more than 4000 miles annually where it would seem wasteful to use something much more expensive. I stocked up on it at £12 but now that Helix ultra is available for under £20 I have also bought some of that.

I've just had a look though the approved MB oils and not found any Triple QX oils listed, even though they claim MB specs on the ECP website. This suggests to me that they are using the "meets the requirements of..." statement rather than going for an official approval. VW don't publish their approved oils, but I'm betting they don't have any Triple QX oils listed either.

Just some extra information for you to consider in your determination of their suitability for your use.

I knew it wasn't approved by MB. The wording they use is:

Performance Level
API SN/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4
VW 502.00, 505.00
MB 229.3
BMW LL-01
Renault RN700/RN710

I did hear they have manufacturers approval from VW for the PD version of the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back