2015 Explorer Sport Ecoboost, Redline 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Redline application. Note that I dropped the viscosity down a grade compared to Fords recommendation. Wife drives it, mostly, easy use and low loads. Replaced this fill with another crankcase of 5W-20 Redline. Car seems to like it.

Explorer16k%2Boil-a.jpg

Too new, your readings will continue to be skewed by break-in miles. Nice truck.

Definitely looks like the engine is still breaking in.
Those new explorers are growing on me and Ive always liked the EB engine, sounds like a nice ride!

Too new, but it's also Redline you're dealing with. Strange behaving oil.

TAN is exceeding TBN, yet Blackstone says to lengthen the OCI by 20%. They always say to run TBN down to 1.0. If it were mine, I would be shortening the OCI by 20%, or at least keep it the same for a few intervals and let the wear metals bottom out.

Last edited:
I would be using a synthetic 5w30 in this engine. Redline is not an extended drain oil as evidence by the TAN/TBN relationship. I think your paying more for oil than you need to, Pennzoil Ultra is superior to Redline and cheaper if you buy jugs at Walmart.

If you get any fuel dilution with a 20 grade in the sump you will run into issues I'm betting. There's a reason the EB specifies 5w30 and every other NA engine is 5w20 from Ford, they didn't do this without a good reason.

Originally Posted By: wemay
If it's the recommended viscosity from Ford, use it. The EB will be fine.

It's not. The EB specifies 5w30 and he used 5w20. I am all for experimentation but I don't think it's a good idea especially when some of these engines have shown heavy fuel dilution which would drop t the oil down another grade.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: wemay
If it's the recommended viscosity from Ford, use it. The EB will be fine.

It's not. The EB specifies 5w30 and he used 5w20. I am all for experimentation but I don't think it's a good idea especially when some of these engines have shown heavy fuel dilution which would drop t the oil down another grade.

Ouch! In that case, i totally agree with you. I wouldn't experiment with a lower than spec'd viscosity in any turbo.

Agree, you are not getting your money from this oil. A Synthetic 5w30 from Walmart will serve you better. There was a recent UOA from a F150 with the EB3.5 using Castrol synblend Magnatec that impressed me.

Last edited:
Why are several saying a 5w-20 isn't right here? This is Redline polyol ester synthetic, with an HTHS = 3.0. Most full-syn 5w-30's have an HTHS = 3.0. Thats what really governs oil film thickness.
Also, KV100 = 9, and some 5w-30's have KV100 = 9.5, very little difference there, but HTHS really governs minimim oil film thickness.

The comments say that this is the second oil change for this vehicle. The document also shows that the oil has been in service for 10,000 miles. If this this is indeed the second oil change the question becomes, how long was the OCI for the FF.

Given the 10K interval for the second oil change, the first may have been something like 7K to 10K miles. If all this is true it means the vehicle has about 17K to 20K miles on it.

The oil report is for the 10,000 to 20,000 mile old oil. The FF had the first 10K miles of wear in it. IMO, most metals should have washed out in the first oil change.

I think the metals in the oil analysis are psycho high. I'm glad it's not my motor. Understand, I've used Redline for decades and still do. Quality product.

The oil brand selection versus OCI is incorrect here. Or the motor is on it's way to being one of those loose ones, that still live a long and healthy life.

Scott

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Why are several saying a 5w-20 isn't right here? This is Redline polyol ester synthetic, with an HTHS = 3.0. Most full-syn 5w-30's have an HTHS = 3.0. Thats what really governs oil film thickness.
Also, KV100 = 9, and some 5w-30's have KV100 = 9.5, very little difference there, but HTHS really governs minimim oil film thickness.

I agree. Redline 5w20 really acts like a 30-weight in the engine due to its high HTHS. It's stout and won't shear out of grade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
The comments say that this is the second oil change for this vehicle. The document also shows that the oil has been in service for 10,000 miles. If this this is indeed the second oil change the question becomes, how long was the OCI for the FF. Given the 10K interval for the second oil change, the first may have been something like 7K to 10K miles. If all this is true it means the vehicle has about 17K to 20K miles on it.
The UOA states 16,000 on the unit and 10,000 on this fill and so the FF would have been 6,000 provided this is the second OC.

Still a lot of AL and FE in the oil (about double the universal averages even taking the increase of miles into account) which hopefully is due to the engine still breaking in. My non-turbo 3.5L UOAs had a lot of copper in the first two OCs, but began to taper off so that is on track.

However, if it were mine and if the AL and FE has not dropped to the universal averages or less (based upon mileage comparisons between them) within the next OCI or so, I would look at a different oil or viscosity.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I would be using a synthetic 5w30 in this engine. Redline is not an extended drain oil as evidence by the TAN/TBN relationship. I think your paying more for oil than you need to, Pennzoil Ultra is superior to Redline and cheaper if you buy jugs at Walmart.

If you get any fuel dilution with a 20 grade in the sump you will run into issues I'm betting. There's a reason the EB specifies 5w30 and every other NA engine is 5w20 from Ford, they didn't do this without a good reason.

TAN/TBN is not what you use to judge how long you can run an oil. I can see you don't know much about ester or redline oils also by your 5w30 comment. Redline 5W20 has a higher HTHS than a lot of 5W30 oils. It is very thick, not really a 5W20.

also, the price comments are unnecessary. Redline isn't for people concerned about cheap oil.

Agree with those saying move up to a 5W30 in your EB engine.
Ford originally spec'd 5W20 in all the EB's but a few years ago due to lessons learned re-spec'd all EB's to 5W30.

If this is a new vehicle, you have warranty concerns using a 20 vs the spec'd 30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Agree with those saying move up to a 5W30 in your EB engine.
Ford originally spec'd 5W20 in all the EB's but a few years ago due to lessons learned re-spec'd all EB's to 5W30.

If this is a new vehicle, you have warranty concerns using a 20 vs the spec'd 30.

I agree with the above comment re: warranty.
It is true that Redline 5W20 is practically a 5W30 when compared to other oils, but, Ford is just gonna look at "5W20" and gripe about it not being 5W30 if something were wrong with the engine.

I would switch to Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline SynPower in the appropriate weight of 5W-30. Drain at 7,500 & get a UOA. Redline is a waste of funds & I would never use a thinner oil than specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back