synthetics and a 95 Goldwing 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
with Winter set in and the bike parked I was talking to some other Honda owners , I have been running my bike on honda's 10w40 spectro dyno or Valvoline 10w40 bike oil ( this Season)

I asked about synthetics , like a M1 or a QSUD and several of the folks and a co worker said that the 1500 does not like synthecics as it is hard on cam bearings , is this fact or fiction??

I have a few months before riding season and was looking at a synthetics as I will be riding down in the south in the heat this summer

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights

I have friend down south swear by it ,in both wings and V Twins

Better high trmp stability, smoother shifting , and shear stability to name a few and I cant find much on Honda's oil VS a synthetic make up and add pack

Goldwings are easy on oil, and their motors will generally last longer then the owners desire to own them will. So that being the case, using pretty much any diesel oil Rotella, Delo 400,ect will give that motor a long life. Using synthetic oil might make you feel better, but is doubtful your 21 year old motor will care or benefit from it. But it's your money.,,,

all correct answers above

the goldwing 1500 motor may be the BEST lasting motor honda has ever made. regardless of the number of wheels on the road.o

i have seen uoa reports from them that show no difference from a voa when you look at the margin of error/variances in the reports.

i think the only way you can kill one is to run it out of oil and coolant.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
i think the only way you can kill one is to run it out of oil and coolant.

Yes... but the most popular way to kill one is to let it sit in a corner of the garage for about 10 years.

I rode a Goldwing to work today in January, in Illinois. I run Rotella T6 5w-40 in it, year around.

Year around for me is 20 degrees in Illinois in the winter, to 100 degrees in the summer in Arkansas, Georgia, the Carolinas...

I acquired it from an estate 6 years ago with 7 K miles , I service it every year, baby it as it still looks like it came out of the show room , I average 3 K miles a year , however as I get closer to retirement I have been riding more , I like rotella T6 & T5 for other applications as I am in the transportation industry and my son has an old Jeep ( 94) and it loves T5.

Rotella is a gold standard of oil in my book , thanks for the idea , never crossed my mind , T6 for my bike
cool.gif

Rotella T works great in all the Wing engine configurations.
Take some time to dig through the Wing UOAs on this board and you'll find the Rotella T consistently produces better results than many more expensive oils and always looks better than any of the manufacturer labels. I just saw it selling for $15/gallon and lots of retailers keep it on hand. Most I've ever paid is $21/gallon. Good shifts, and holds up well to the shared Honda Gearboxes. Will be good for 6-8K change intervals in Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back