Oil recommendation supercharged GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tech guys chime in here. I am looking to replace my current oil, factory recommended mobil 1 5w-30, with something better suited to my new set up. I have heard that the formula that Mobil 1 uses has changed, and not necessarily for the better.

The car is a 2006 Pontiac GTO.
-stock motor ls2 120,000 miles
-Supercharged TVS 2300 Magnuson
-full exhaust with long tube headers
-griffen performance radiator with a 160° thermostat and and a mocal oil cooling system with no thermostat.

I live in South Florida so its 90°F+ almost all year round. The car is a daily and I do like to drive it aggresively here and there. The car will begin to see some track duty this year, hopefully.

I have heard great things about LiquiMoly and Redline. So what brand and weight would you recommend? And more importantly why?

Mobil 1 0W40 for added HTHSV. Also Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 would do the job. Do you know what your oil temperatures are or what the oil pressure is with the Mobil 1 5w30? If you have both of those gauges you can figure out what viscosity you need.

Originally Posted By: DatMonaroGuy
factory recommended mobil 1 5w-30

^ That's the worst thing you could do to the car.

Pick up some 5W-40 Valvoline Synpower instead.

Post a few photos of this unicorn!!

I own a 2005 GTO with black exterior and read interior. Car has 45K miles on it and I run standard Mobil 1 5W50 with Napa Gold filter. Will change to M1 EP on next oil change.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
M1 5w-40 TDT/Delvac 1
M1 0w-40 Euro

Rotella T6 5w-40
Delo 5w-40

Any will do.

Dat, I had a similarly modified 2006 GTO as well!
smile.gif

The oil that quieted down the valve train the best was Amsoil Z-Rod 10w-30. I "highly" recommend it.
thumbsup2.gif

Here you go: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/z-rod-10w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/

Tech guys chime in here. I am looking to replace my current oil, factory recommended mobil 1 5w-30, with something better suited to my new set up. I have heard that the formula that Mobil 1 uses has changed, and not necessarily for the better.

The car is a 2006 Pontiac GTO.
-stock motor ls2 120,000 miles
-Supercharged TVS 2300 Magnuson
-full exhaust with long tube headers
-griffen performance radiator with a 160° thermostat and and a mocal oil cooling system with no thermostat.

I live in South Florida so its 90°F+ almost all year round. The car is a daily and I do like to drive it aggresively here and there. The car will begin to see some track duty this year, hopefully.

I have heard great things about LiquiMoly and Redline. So what brand and weight would you recommend? And more importantly why?

Proper link to Amsoil Z-Rod 10W-30

Originally Posted By: Turk
Dat, I had a similarly modified 2006 GTO as well!
smile.gif

The oil that quieted down the valve train the best was Amsoil Z-Rod 10w-30. I "highly" recommend it.
thumbsup2.gif

Here you go: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m...-oil/?zo=515729

Agree!

Any name brand synthetic HDEO: M1, Valvoline, Rotella, Delvac, Delo, etc. etc. in the 5w40 flavor.

Or you could order some M1 5w50 (Napa can usually have it in their store the next day), as mentioned earlier.

Thank you for the replies. To claify, i just finished installing everything and am in the process of tuning it now with the supercharger. The car was just intake and exhaust before. I do run an oil pressure gauge and with my current oil, before the supercharger, cold mid 40psi warmed up 32 psi
When the car would run hot pressure would drop as low as 28psi

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Or you could order some M1 5w50 (Napa can usually have it in their store the next day), as mentioned earlier.

My local NAPA keeps this right on the shelf, every single day.
smile.gif

Thank you for the replies. To claify, i just finished installing everything and am in the process of tuning it now with the supercharger. The car was just intake and exhaust before. I do run an oil pressure gauge and with my current oil, before the supercharger, cold mid 40psi warmed up 32 psi
When the car would run hot pressure would drop as low as 28psi

A good oil temp gauge would also be a good idea for an open tracked, boosted LS2, in southern Florida's summers.
wink.gif

My brother is running M1 5w30 SN in his 04' supercharged GTO with a M1 EP filter. No issues but he hasn't driven it this winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back