VW Oil pan problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some work on my modified VW diesel in a 1981 Rabbit pickup. Part of it entails installing a new oil pan. I took the new pan to the powdercoater and he coated it inside as well. Is this kosher? Will it create problems later on?
100_3128_zpsldesu19o.jpg

100_3128a_zpswrb47abz.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't even contemplate it, all risk and zero rewards. You are betting the engine on this stuff never flaking if the pan gets a little ding, it may also hold heat better, that's something you don't want for the oil.

How big a risk is it flaking, I don't think anyone can say, its all in how it was prepped. Paint or coat outside of the engine only is a good policy.
You probably wont be able to strip this very easily, a new pan is probably going to be much easier, the guy who did this had his head up his backside.

49.gif

Unreal! It was easier for him than masking it off I guess. He saved about 2 minutes. I wouldn't use it, if the coating fails you'll have problems. Like Trav said you're betting the engine on it.

Okay this is a 1981 car, how exposed to potential damage is that oil pan?

If that was the original pan and it just got powdercoated, I'm thinking the way it sits in the car...the pan must be pretty well protected from debris, curbs, zombies?

Were you planning on doing the Paris-Darak rally in the Rabbit pick-up? me thinks not.

Relax, the bigger risk in your area is rust...and you're well protected with that pretty oil pan.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Okay this is a 1981 car, how exposed to potential damage is that oil pan?

If that was the original pan and it just got powdercoated, I'm thinking the way it sits in the car...the pan must be pretty well protected from debris, curbs, zombies?

Were you planning on doing the Paris-Darak rally in the Rabbit pick-up? me thinks not.

Relax, the bigger risk in your area is rust...and you're well protected with that pretty oil pan.

So you would gamble that this coating can live in a hot oil environment with 100% certainty that nothing will happen to it?
If you are willing to cover the cost of replacing his engine you get vote of confidence for putting your money where your mouth is.

OP - it does look nice, but in all of the oil pans I have ever seen none of them have been coated on the inside. I had a 1981 Rabbit Diesel and if memory serves the oil pump pickup is very small and it would not take much of anything to block it. I would have the guy strip the inside of the pan.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
We needed 2 threads about this?

That's what I was wondering. Maybe he didn't like the responses in the first thread?

Originally Posted By: Trav

So you would gamble that this coating can live in a hot oil environment with 100% certainty that nothing will happen to it?
If you are willing to cover the cost of replacing his engine you get vote of confidence for putting your money where your mouth is.

Most Powder Coatings can withstand at least 200C continuous and not react with organics or snythetics. But what do I know? I only work in the automotive industry and buy coatings for stamped metal parts. I must be dumb.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Originally Posted By: Trav

Most Powder Coatings can withstand at least 200C continuous and not react with organics or snythetics. But what do I know? I only work in the automotive industry and buy coatings for stamped metal parts. I must be dumb.

I never saw one OE powder coated inside. Power coating like any other coating depends on prep and how it was applied. You cant guarantee either one of these steps was done well correctly and neither can anyone else.

TravI never saw one OE powder coated inside. Power coating like any other coating depends on prep and how it was applied. You cant guarantee either one of these steps was done well correctly and neither can anyone else. [/quote said:
Valid points, but consider the oil filter "Schrödinger's cat": you only know if the filter was properly made if you cut it open either before or after using it. The lessor makes a nice clean mess, the latter makes you feel either good or sick.

Life is full of risks.

The OP wanted thoughts on this and i wouldn't take the risk and use it.
To me putting on any part that is visibly questionable that could potentially ruin the engine isn't worth the risk.

There is a certain VW engine that comes from the factory with the inside AND outside of the valve covers coated.

The inside AND outside coatings flake with time and cause vacuum leaks. You also get nice flakes all on your rockers.

Clean the powder coat off of the inside AND flange before install. If it flakes you will clog the oil pick up screen.

I checked with a guy who does powder coating about oil pans and got this reply:

Powdercoating is baked on for 10 minutes ( part temp) at about 400 degrees. Unless something on the inside of the engine comes in contact with it the coating will stick, provided the surface was prepped properly.

For those worried about internal engine parts being coated, there are several that are. High temp piston dome coatings come to mind.

On steel parts I would rather the entire thing be coated, as the masking line transition to bare metal will be the failure point where corrosion will start, and migrate under the coating.

The piston coating is thinner than a human hair apples to rocks, he just doesn't want the trouble of removing it IMO. I wouldn't expect the guy to admit he screwed the pooch.
Ask him if he will pay for the engine if it ends up in the oil galley.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

On steel parts I would rather the entire thing be coated, as the masking line transition to bare metal will be the failure point where corrosion will start, and migrate under the coating.

Then he could have painted the inside lip of the pan where the gasket sits and gets bolted to the engine if he was concerned. Then all he had to do was mask off the inside of the pan which is protected from corrosion by the oil, which is splashed around and runs down the sides if not submerged in oil. I don't buy his story either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back