Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 SRT Oil for 1999 BMW 318I ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one have any thoughts on using Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 with SRT in 1993 BMW 318i with 350K miles on her ? The MaxLife is getting a little boring sometimes.

BMW Motorsports racing seems to like it. Do it Dude.
More info at:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3922848/Re:_BMW_Motorsports_uses_0w-40

Maybe M1 10w40HM oil would be an option - this has the ACEA A3/B3 specification that is suggested for BMW engines.

If there is no consumption or leaking, then really you should be able to handle any BMW spec'd oil from the "approved oil charts," (LongLife98 or 01) and know there won't be an issue.
If its getting cold outside, maybe drop to 0w or 5w for the colder winter months (I think there are HM 5w40 options, too).

German/Belgium Castrol might be okay too if you can get it cheap.

If you look at the info from Penzoil on their 0w40, you'll note it does not have any ACEA specifications. The BMW engines are looking for A3/B3 - which is shear stability, particularly over a longer drain interval.
If you want to run this oil year round - don't, especially if you have a hotter summer or drive "spiritedly" as it may not hold up on the interval you choose and fail to adequately protect the engine.

Last edited:
You can use it, just keep a close eye on consumption. Since you are coming from a HM oil back to a syn, not sure it might expose any leaks.

I don't think you have much to worry about. Did BMW have any proprietary specs in 1993 or were they still stuck with API stuff? I'm sure the SRT 0w-40 will be a lot more advanced than most of what was otherwise available at the time.

I thought the OP said it was a 99. OOOPS.

In '93 it would have had the BMW "High Power Oil" in 15w40, or maybe BMW Special Oil (see below).

The manual supplied by BMW (I bought it from the Dealer, who used the VIN to provide the product, V-III/93 with a '93 Copyright) for my car suggests oils conformed to API SG/CD or API SG/CE - with a *preference* for CCMC-G4 or CCMC-G5 approved oils.

CCMC was the forerunner to the ACEA service grades you see today (i.e. A3/B3) - and suggested superior quality to say an API SG motor oil.

Obviously, oils today are far superior - however the CCMC specification also meant the oil could carry the BMW Special Oil specification, which was suitable for year-round running (typically as 5w or 10w40, some XXw-50 too) and service intervals up to 15,000km (about 7500 miles).
It has similar shear stability to the A3/B3-B4 oils of today and was good for long intervals.

These were semi or fully synthetic - the BMW oil of the time was "BMW High Power SPECIAL Oil" in 10w40, semi-synth as I recall from reading.

BITOG CCMC Thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3045261

Last edited:
Thank you, BMW 320i (and all)

I was thinking of running the Pennzoil 0W-40 SRT for about 7000 miles (about 6 months).

That's a good point that it isn't ACEA 3/4. Any thoughts of using it for this long an oil change interval ? The Maxlife 5W-30 (Semisynthetic) I'm running isn't ACEA 3/4 (I usually change to MaxLife 10W40 in the summer which is I believe Acea 3/4).

Would the Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage be usable in the winter in the Midwest ?

Originally Posted By: KevinV
Would the Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage be usable in the winter in the Midwest ?

Which part of Indiana are you in?

The exciting Grant County (near Marion IN) is where I work and am most of the week.

The exciting Grant County (near Marion IN) is where I work and am most of the week.

M1 HM 10w40 meets the SAE criteria for 10w at -15F (see chart below). It fails the 5w criteria at -20F.

What we don't know is by how much it fails the 5w criteria.

SAE%20J300%20motor%20oil%20viscosities.jpg

Originally Posted By: BobFout

M1 HM 10w40 meets the SAE criteria for 10w at -15F (see chart below). It fails the 5w criteria at -20F.

What we don't know is by how much it fails the 5w criteria.

SAE%20J300%20motor%20oil%20viscosities.jpg

In Northern Indiana -15F could be all we need - but Indiana weather is crazy. Do you think the Pennzoil 0W40 SRT would work (say if I add a Lubromoly additive for high mileage motors) ?

In Northern Indiana -15F could be all we need - but Indiana weather is crazy. Do you think the Pennzoil 0W40 SRT would work (say if I add a Lubromoly additive for high mileage motors) ?

I would use it without any OTC additives.

Honestly though, a 5w40 truck/car fleet oil should work well too. Take your pick from Mobil, Delvac, Rotella and Delo, all 5w40. Castrol 5w40/0w40 or Pennzoil 5w40 (this is in my GTI right now), or Mobil 1 0w40 are good oils too.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I don't think you have much to worry about. Did BMW have any proprietary specs in 1993 or were they still stuck with API stuff? I'm sure the SRT 0w-40 will be a lot more advanced than most of what was otherwise available at the time.

I agree, this is probably a lot better oil than what many were using in 1993.

OP: " I was thinking of running the Pennzoil 0W-40 SRT for about 7000 miles (about 6 months).

The Maxlife 5W-30 (Semisynthetic) I'm running isn't ACEA 3/4
"

Yep, don't go too long OCI because it's not a long life oil, but what you are doing sounds fine.

Given the choice between MaxLife semi-synthetic 5W-30 and the full synthetic SRT 0W-40, I would go the SRT every time.

I would not add anything extra to the oil, use it As Is.

Did you get a good deal on some SRT ?

Fiat-Chrysler must do some consolidation, particularly given their partnership with Shell. Whatever you do, don't go to the Shell data sheet website and look up the entire catalog of 40 grade Pennzoil products. There's a reason why, when I mentioned elsewhere that NAPA Canada is advertising Pennzoil Ultra Euro 0w-40 and 5w-40 in the EcoBox, I said, "whatever that means," noting that could be two oils of like four or more choices, between not knowing which version, whether or not it really is Ultra or Platinum, not to mention how old the stock or labeling might be, either.

Given the choice between MaxLife semi-synthetic 5W-30 and the full synthetic SRT 0W-40, I would go the SRT every time.

[/quote]
Yes, I bought 7 quarts at the Autozone clearance.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Yes, I bought 7 quarts at the Autozone clearance.

Good work on that. You need to use it in something, a 20+ year old BMW sounds fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back