'96 Miata, Amsoil AZO 0w30, 160,000 mi ~4000 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
1996 Mazda Miata with 120k miles when I bought it (now at 160k miles). History consists of multiple previous owners and at least one owner who raced the car regularly. Used a combo of multiple oils during the first fill including mobil super, mobil 1, Amsoil AZO 0w30 as it burned and leaked. Replaced all seals and oil consumption is better, although she still sips oil. Car is driven like I stole it year round in FL. This latest fill was all Amsoil AZO 0w30, even the 1.5 makeup quarts. The high copper/lead in the earlier run led Blackstone to believe heavy bearing wear was taking place. Miata.net claimed mixing of oils was to blame. I blamed the leaking fuel injector causing nasty misfires after the car sat for awhile. The entire car shook violently during hot starts. New injectors/coils and an idle speed adjustment have since remedied the misfires.

M9nN3IZ.png

Probably not a useful comment, but I'd just pour M1 0W-40 into it and be happy. That's what I do with my Miata, which has tens of thousands of hard miles on the race track without a hitch. It doesn't burn much oil, either.

robert

You could go to yearly oil changes at the rate you stack up miles, and having to add oil, replenishes the oil anyway. Using either Amsoil SS, or M1 0w-40, both very stout long term oils as well. M1 0w-40 has all the tough Euro certifications and is cheap at Walmart. Amsoil is great but not necessary to pay for it or the inconvenience of getting it.

Good #'s - go ahead and extend your OCIs, especially with what you're adding - 10k should be easy.

Originally Posted By: buster
Still surprised Amsoil is using almost 4k ppm of Calcium.
crazy2.gif

It must do that for long drain intervals. Surface competition with AW/FM notwithstanding.

Though, Chemtura says calcium sulfonate detergents also have "Synergistic EP/AW performance with other additives" per their brochures. You'd think friction would be too much for GF-5 approval with all that calcium, but it makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back