2004 X3 2.5i, M1 0W-40, 182,313 miles, 8,066 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
X3%20UOA%20182k_zpsdvrn1fad.jpg

Keep using M-1 0w40......I wouldn't change a thing. Looks to be a excellent oil for her BMW.

Are all the previous OCI's M-1 0w40 as well?

What filter was used?

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Keep using M-1 0w40......I wouldn't change a thing. Looks to be a excellent oil for her BMW.

That's the plan!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The first UOA (10.4k at 142.6k) was the best, longest OCI with minimum PPM metals.

That same oil (I assume used in the subsequent two UOA's) also had significantly lower levels of calcium (detergent) which may be the reason for the lower ppm.

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
go little whizzing hard drive water pump go!

Huh?

The water pump is electric and I assume he thinks it resembles a hard drive motor, which it might.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Huh?

The water pump is electric and I assume he thinks it resembles a hard drive motor, which it might.

Wrong. The water pump is not electric on the M54. The N52 which came out in 06 was the first BMW with the electric coolant pump.

Huh?

Wrong. The water pump is not electric on the M54. The N52 which came out in 06 was the first BMW with the electric coolant pump.

Gotcha. Well, that's what he was implying I imagine. Was never a concern for me, my S62 had a traditional pump too.

Travis99LS1 said:
cptbarkey said:

Huh?

Gotcha. Well, that's what he was implying I imagine. Was never a concern for me, my S62 had a traditional pump too.

Thank god for that..I've only had to replace about 100 electric coolant pumps over the years...but seriously, there's at least two a week in the dealer I work at getting electric pumps..

Travis99LS1 said:
cptbarkey said:

Huh?

Thank god for that..I've only had to replace about 100 electric coolant pumps over the years...but seriously, there's at least two a week in the dealer I work at getting electric pumps..

Yeah, definitely not something I'd look forward to doing
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The first UOA (10.4k at 142.6k) was the best, longest OCI with minimum PPM metals.

That same oil (I assume used in the subsequent two UOA's) also had significantly lower levels of calcium (detergent) which may be the reason for the lower ppm.

You're right.

I just looked at the wear metals. Also the subsequent two UOA's had significantly higher levels of magnesium, it is very possible the first 3 UOA's were with the same oil.

Overall, this engine is aging very well, all wear metals are very low with all UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back