Denso air filter after 86K, 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some filters and manufacturers actually instruct you to use compressed air to blow out the filter, at a set pressure.

On most modern cars, neither the filter, nor the throttle body is the primary restriction. The intake piping is a greater restriction.

Oiled filters do a better job of catching dirt than the equivalent non-oiled because a speck of material, even if small enough to pass through the filter, may not make it to the other side since mere contact with the filter media can capture it.

Initially, I believed that restriction in P1 and TG were costing me fuel economy, but my filter minders refuse to back that up.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Some filters and manufacturers actually instruct you to use compressed air to blow out the filter, at a set pressure.

On most modern cars, neither the filter, nor the throttle body is the primary restriction. The intake piping is a greater restriction.

Oiled filters do a better job of catching dirt than the equivalent non-oiled because a speck of material, even if small enough to pass through the filter, may not make it to the other side since mere contact with the filter media can capture it.

Initially, I believed that restriction in P1 and TG were costing me fuel economy, but my filter minders refuse to back that up.

He's right. I actually just ordered an OEM air filter for my LX450, and the Toyota/Denso filter has instructions on it (with pictures) on how to clean the filter. I think the filter materials currently are synthetic/paper mix and are better at being cleaned than the plain paper filter of the past. It actually has pictures as well as written instructions for cleaning the air filter element with compressed air, as well as water. It also says you can dry the filter with compressed air, or just let it air dry. here are the pictures.... the pics are the bottom of the page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9592432@N02/sets/72157650887913639

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I like the PureOne air filters

I like turtles

I like hot babes with lots of money. But they're hard to find, and even harder to impress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back