RingPlus Free Cell Phone Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had a great deal until noon today. 1750 min/1750 texts, and 1750 mb per month. Start account with $20 plus tax for overages. Other than that, no monthly cost unless you exceed the limits, then it uses your balance. Must have a sprint device. Some prepaid devices have worked, even new ones. Only drawback is I find the Sprint network is less reliable, smaller footprint, and slower overall than Verizon or AT&T.

I use it. On Sprint but the price can't be beat. I put an old Iphone4 on it. Use it for craigslists ads and a side business.

I am planning on giving it a try.

There are several inexpensive phones that will work with it + am on Wi-Fi most of the time and while on Wi-Fi use the free Google Hangouts for making and receiving calls. Have used Hangouts for years and no issues with it + for the few times I am not this should fill the bill.

We have great Sprint coverage here.

Update. Signed up with RingPlus free plan 1000 min of call time, 1000 text, 750 mb data.

Used new in box LG Tribute 2 which was on sale for $35.00. You must sign up with RingPlus BEFORE you turn on the phone. I used the numbers on the box before I opened it.

Took a few minutes to activate it over the Internet.

Have been using the phone for several days now. No issues.

They have specials of free service often so keep checking their web site before you activate the phone.

For those that want a better phone the LG Volt 2 is an option. Just make sure that when you checkout of the store that they DO NOT activate the phone.

Several You Tube videos about RingPlus.

They use the Sprint Network which provides great coverage here. Check before you sign up.

Just noticed for a few days they have a free plan of 1000 minutes of talk, 1000 text messages, and 1 GB of data on their web page.

I am not having any issues the the free plan I signed up for. My wife and I also have a Republic Wireless plan that we pay $10.00 + tax for with unlimited talk, text, and Wi-Fi only for data.

Both plans meet our needs being retired and not tethered to a phone.

I have a silly question:

if the service is free, how do they make money off of the free plans to stay in business?

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I have a silly question:

if the service is free, how do they make money off of the free plans to stay in business?

I would like to know the same thing? Are the "pay plans" subsiding the "free" plans?

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I have a silly question:

The free plans on RingPlus when you dial a number you hear music/ads rather than the phone ringing. It stops when the party your calling answers. You can choose the type of music you want to play on the dashboard on their web site. The only time you hear music/an ad is when you call out. Texting and data just like any other service.

Being retied the free plan meets needs.

After a month using the Free RingPlus Cell Phone Service here is my take on it.

No issues making or receiving calls, text msgs, etc. I am on Wi-Fi much of the time both at home and the coffee shop where us retired folks hang out solving those pesky world problems.

The free plans very and before activation of the phone one should check the web site often.

The Dashboard on the RingPlus web site offers many options.

When you call out rather than hear the phone ringing you hear music and sometimes an ad. Once the party answers then the call is like any other call.

If one is tethered to a phone and make a lot of calls during the day this could prove annoying to some.

Text messaging works like any other phone.

I am a light user and the free plan more than meets my needs for a phone. I also use Google Hangouts and that works well for things like sending an MMS photo, etc., via Wi-Fi.

My wife and I live in an area that has good Sprint coverage so that is not an issue!

An inexpensive phone is the LG Tribute 2 or LG Volt 2. Just make sure that you sign up activate the phone with the plan BEFORE turning the phone on for the first time. More info on their web site.

My wife and I also have a Republic Wireless Phone paying $10.00 a month & tax.

Looks like this is a keeper.

For a home phone we use an Obihai 200 with Google Voice. This VOIP system works great with a regular corded or cordless home phone and provides free service.

Being retired in our 70s and on a fixed income this more than meets our needs.

SrDriver, thanks for the review. I'm looking at their website and they don't have LG Tribute 2 or LG Volt 2.

Where did you get them?

You can get New In Box LG Tribute 2 or the LG Volt 2 on EBay, Best Buy, & I think Wal-Mart. I got the Tribute 2 on EBay for $35.00 and shipping.
The one I bought was in a Virgin Mobile Box.

Make sure that you use the info on the outside of the box to activate the phone BEFORE open the box, install the battery in and turn it on the first time. If not it will try and activate on Virgin Mobile.

There are other phones and options. You should have no issue with a Boost Mobile Phone either.

Another reason for not opening the box is that is when you setup it if there is a problem you can take the phone back.

If you type in RingPlus in YouTube you can find videos of setting up RingPlus with both the LG Tribute and Volt .

I held off until they had a free special and often it is offered like on Friday - over the weekend.

Only took me a few minutes to setup the phone with RingPlus.

Thanks, good information. I've only had GSM phones in the past where no activation was needed on unlocked phones, just pop in the SIM card and that's it.

I'll keep checking the Ringlplus site for better free plans. Right now it's only for 125 minutes, I think I saw 1000 minutes in the past. Should have signed up then.

Right now the best free plan is 1000 min of talk, 1000 text msgs, & 500 mb of data.

Often they have a special normally near and over the weekends.

I bought the phone and checked about every day until I saw one that I liked and jumped on it.

You must have the phone and activate it during the special.

I had the New In Box LG Tribute 2 about a week before I activated it.

Nice info, SrDriver. Sprint coverage here is spotty at best, but the main reason why people don't like Sprint is that you can't do both voice and data at the same time with Sprint, as you can with the other carriers.

OK, got an LG Tribute Duo from Sprint and signed up for a RingPlus service. Unfortunately, there is no Hotspot Tethering even though the sprint website has instructions on how to activate it on this model.

Installed PDAnet+ and FoxFi but it doesn't seem to assign an IP address to my iPad.

Looks like no tethering for me
frown.gif

I have seen Tethering in the past as I recall but with the free plan if you wanted it you paid $5.00 a month.

Right now they are offering 2000 minutes, 2000, texts, and 1 GB of data under their best free plan but no Tethering.

The following Video gives you insight to their free service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8bXCcUqZW8

They often have special free plans like the one they have right now.

My wife and I also have a cell phone plan with Republic Wireless @ $10.00 a month and tax.

Neither one of us is a heavy user and they meet our needs quite well.

Unbelievable how bad the cell coverage by Sprint is. I thought ATT, T-Mobile and Verizon were bad. Sprint is as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back