honda generator handling startup loads better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that now that I have more hours on my generator that it seems to handle startup surges better. Like for example my air compressor used to surge up and down the first 5 seconds, now it hard lightly surges like one time and runs fine after that even when the weather is cold out. The generator only has 35hrs on it now and it's 6500 watts. Is it cause it's breaking in more? I never thought I'd notice a difference. When it was newer I ran it under various loads all the way up to about 4500-5000 watts continuously using space heaters and halogen lights, I did this for the first 20hrs or so and figured that was good enough for break in.

Interesting. Which model Honda Generator?

If the engine has a mechanical governor, it's probably just breaking in.

Originally Posted By: JR
Just the evidence to prove that little thing called run in, "break-in".
I am a fan of heavy load from day one. Light load equals slow or no break in.

Harvey

Me too. It takes a while for cast iron cylinder engines to break in. It doesn't burn a drop, so hopefully me running it hard got her broken in good. Probably need to load it down good some more. I've been running it with a light load a lot lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Interesting. Which model Honda Generator?

If the engine has a mechanical governor, it's probably just breaking in.

It's a EG6500CL 6500 watt Honda. Just their basic generator, not the inverter one.

It has the good old GX390 on it and it's rated at 5500 watts continuously and can be run at 6500 for 30 minutes at a time iirc. I kind of wish it had more 20 amp outlets. Only has two, but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back