Where to place load resistors for LED lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced all my interior lights, rear lights, turn signal lights, and cornering lights with LED's on me Buick Regal. (Not sure it is legal, strictly-speaking)

But now I get a service vehicle soon light only at night. (Minus the fast flashing which I don't mind.)

I bought four load resistors, but I'm not actually sure where they should go, since the light only comes on at night. (Front or rear turn signals?)

Also, they come with clamp splicers. Are those of any decent use, or is it worth it to just splice the wire itself?

If your taillights are dual filament, please make sure there is enough brightness between the running filmaent and the signalling/braking filament.

This is where most led retrofits into signal housings fail and other drivers might not have any idea whether you are braking or signalling or not.

Placing LEDs into halogen housings in Not legal, ever, but enforcement is rare. But lawyers and insurance people might find the usage of such lighting as reason to deny a claim. Not sure how likely that is, but maximum profit is how it works.

Also make sure that the LEDs in signal housings can be seen from all angles, not just directly behind or in front, and know that 'brighter' is not inherently better. Being blinded by brake lights is almost as enraging as being blinded by HID or LED bulbs installed inside halogen housings, for me at least.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Try putting them in parallel with the turn signal filaments. Be sure to mount them on solid metal- they get VERY hot.

The crimp splicers will go bad over time. Posi-taps are a lot better, available on Amazon:

http://www.posi-products.com/
SuperbrightLEDS will sell you a solid state flasher plugin to cure "ricer flasher".
For other bulbs on a lamp out warning circuit you'll need a resisteor for each filament, excluding the flasher filament which you cure with the solid state flasher unit. Rear side markers aren't usually on a lamp out monitor, the center braks light and tail lights are, and need a resistor. In order to do it right you need to look at the circuit diagram
to see how the front and rear parking lights and rear "taillights" are wired. If you find a front and rear parking light, for example, are in parallel you only need one resistor for the pair.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
If your taillights are dual filament, please make sure there is enough brightness between the running filmaent and the signalling/braking filament.

This is where most led retrofits into signal housings fail and other drivers might not have any idea whether you are braking or signalling or not.

Placing LEDs into halogen housings in Not legal, ever, but enforcement is rare. But lawyers and insurance people might find the usage of such lighting as reason to deny a claim. Not sure how likely that is, but maximum profit is how it works.

Also make sure that the LEDs in signal housings can be seen from all angles, not just directly behind or in front, and know that 'brighter' is not inherently better. Being blinded by brake lights is almost as enraging as being blinded by HID or LED bulbs installed inside halogen housings, for me at least.
SuperBright Led.comm will provide a chart on their site which compares their products to a standard filament bulb in brightness and light pattern. MOst side and marker bulbs are NOT halogen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back