Land Rover Defender Td5 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, my Land Rover Defender Td5 (MY06 with 180k km) needs an oil change. I would like some advice on which oil use.
Before I used Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 and it was fine.
What do you think? Which oil would you use?

* Mobil Delvac 1 5W40
* Mobil1 TURBO DIESEL 0W40
* Mobil1 NEW LIFE 0W40

* CASTROL EDGE 5W40
* CASTROL EDGE 0W40

Thanks

Last edited:
Is this a common rail type engine? Or unit injector? Rotary or inline pump? Roller or flat-tappet follower? Push-rod or overhead cam?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_engines#Td5_.28Engine_Codes_10P.2C_15P_and_16P.29

Look here, I don't know the answer
frown.gif

Actually I have no idea of these technical details but searching I understood that:

OHC with single rocker ramp
Not a common rail but single unit injector

Last edited:
What does the manual says?

Without having a look at the manual, I'd say Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 should be perfect, or you can try Shell Rimula R6M. I won't use any of the others on your list for that engine.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
What does the manual says?

My car's manual recommend as first choice 5w30 but as it covers up to 35 degrees, they are more expensive and difficult to find. Where I live summer is quite hot so I always used 5w40 that better protect the engine

Originally Posted By: dave1251
If you used Delvac and had no issues continue to use it.

what kind of problem could have had?

Delvac is the best in the list for my car?

Last edited:
Delvac is probably one of the best oil you can use in your car. Nothing wrong with hdeo here.
Helix ultra 5W40 is the next oil I'm gonna try in my diesel.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Delvac is probably one of the best oil you can use in your car. Nothing wrong with hdeo here.
Helix ultra 5W40 is the next oil I'm gonna try in my diesel.

Thanks Popsy for the answer! So if I continue using 5w40 delvac i'm not going wrong

What about other 0W40 oils in the list? Would I have benefits? What side effects?

A wild guess, your engine is quite old school so I'm not sure how it will benefit from thinner oil when cold, but sure it will.
If I compare with mine, it won't make a huge difference in cranking speed in the winter (plus I guess you don't often see very low temp in Italy), but it may make less noise on startup and give you a smoother running sooner after startup.
The usual "issue" I have with mine is oil shearing => more noise, less smoothness, etc. Maybe 0W40 will shear faster than hdeo 5W40, but that also depends on your engine...and particular oil model/brand.

Price is also a factor, if you can get some good 0W40 for the price of the Delvac 5W40, and since we are on the winter, why not trying some? But if there is a substential price difference, why bother trying something else than Delvac?

These are the price....

* Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 8,5€/L
* Mobil1 TURBO DIESEL 0W40 10€(L
* Mobil1 NEW LIFE 0W40 10€/L
* Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 7€/L
* Shell Helix Ultra 0w40 7€/L

Last edited:
I would do the Delvac 1, you don't need the 0W40 in your climate unless you live in the Alps in the winter. Even then, for me Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 works fine in Anchorage, Alaska (lowest lows -25 to -30 C. in winter).

Charlie

Well, it you are adventurous enough and the price difference is not important to you (also I don't know how many litres your engine need, mine need 4L so it helps trying exotic stuff), you can try Mobil 1 0W40 (new life or turbo diesel, same stuff different packaging). If your winters are harsh, your engine may appreciate it.

You can also try Shell, but if I remember correctly, the 0W40 is on the thin side, so maybe not the best. Once again my opinion may be biased regarding thin oils in "old" design. Price are attractive though.

Which parameters do I have to pay attention when I choose a good oil? What I have to look to see if an oil is better than the other?
In this way I can understad if Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 is better than Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 and what are the differences between Mobil 1 0W40 and Shell Helix Ultra 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back