Rotella T5 at 6595 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly wondering what it sheared down to and how do you know?
What do you think of the rest of the test? This has AZ heat on it also.

23883935410_2bc7f392db_b.jpg

Last edited:
seems decent, sheared/fuel dilution to a "thick" 30wt
(most 5w30 are 10.x cSt)

Being that oil is cheap at 15$/gallon I'd just do 5-6000mile changes whenever convenient. Seems like it was still good to run abit longer if necessary (finish out season etc)

I run the t5 15w40 in my Tractors seems to be a high quality product.

Sam's club had it clearance so I got 12gal@ 7$/gal

Last edited:
Sump is shared by gearbox, right? There's your shearing...if it concerns you then you could try 5w40 Rotella instead; several guys on here using it with good results.

Last edited:
I mixed up my oil change intervals I always go 5000 per change this one just got away from me. So what weight did it shear down to?

Like Rand said, looking at the conversion tables, it looks like it's a heavy 30 weight.
Good to see a UOA on this oil, I have it in my FZ1 right now.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Like Rand said, looking at the conversion tables, it looks like it's a heavy 30 weight.
Good to see a UOA on this oil, I have it in my FZ1 right now.

Where do I find these tables?

One of the articles on this page has the table. The oil did a great job, and is most likely in the 40wt range if the fuel dilution wasn't a factor. For some reason I'm not finding any T5 in a 15w40, just the 10w30. Not too worried about it since the delo is treating me well in both bikes.

Last edited:
Terrific report, you cant ask for much better.
T5 served you well I would stick with it, I would never run the Full Syn Rotella T6 5/40 in a shared sump bike.

Your oil sheared to a 30, no big deal at all. I doubt very much you will find an oil that holds up better then yours did at 6,595 miles.
You do have a little fuel, I am wondering if you took the oil sample after running the bike and making sure to have the oil up to a FULL operating temperature. (that means hand burning)
If you took the sample while only luke warm, that would explain any fuel.

1.3% fuel says it all right there

your susvis doesnt mean anything with that much fuel in the oil

might actually still be a 40wt if there was zero fuel but the flash of 365 tells me it is probably more like 2.0% or more

17 iron seems about right for 6.5k
the rest looks darn good

gotta love (ie hate) the scatter by the stoners.
barium? yeah right

Victory looks like they are Producing Honda like motors, very nice.

I hate rotella 15w40 , but nice report

Why is that?

Last edited:
alarmguy said:
T5 served you well I would stick with it, I would never run the Full Syn Rotella T6 5/40 in a shared sump bike.

Your oil sheared to a 30, no big deal at all. I doubt very much you will find an oil that holds up better then yours did at 6,595 miles.
You do have a little fuel, I am wondering if you took the oil sample after running the bike and making sure to have the oil up to a FULL operating temperature. (that means hand burning)
If you took the sample while only luke warm, that would explain any fuel.

OK I'll bite, why would you never use 5W40 in a shared sump bike?
A big air cooled twin, yea it wouldn't be my first choice, but few of those are shared sump. More manufacturers and machines are spec'ing 5W40 and several oils are up to the task. Case-in-point would be Gold Wings using the T-Syn 5w40. They are producing some of the nicest UOA's I've seen from any oil/shared sump combination and many guys have over 100K on their machines with it. I'm waiting to see how it fares in some of the new euro bikes spec'ing 5W40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
alarmguy said:

OK I'll bite, why would you never use 5W40 in a shared sump bike?
A big air cooled twin, yea it wouldn't be my first choice, but few of those are shared sump. More manufacturers and machines are spec'ing 5W40 and several oils are up to the task. Case-in-point would be Gold Wings using the T-Syn 5w40. They are producing some of the nicest UOA's I've seen from any oil/shared sump combination and many guys have over 100K on their machines with it. I'm waiting to see how it fares in some of the new euro bikes spec'ing 5W40.

Goldwings are way easy on oil and only a tiny fraction of the bikes on the road, if you go through the motorcycle UOAs with the exception of one or two models I think you will see the other 95% of bikes that use or try Rotella 5/40 and have shared sumps, the oil shears faster and down lower then the 15/40s and 20/50s.
If its going to shear, all the 5/40 oils will always shear more then any 15/40 or 20/50 and faster. There is a reason those oils are not recommended by the manufacturers for the vast majority of motorcycles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back