Mouse traps, whats best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
after "losing" two parked cars to mice, I resorted to the victor traps baited with peanut butter. as mentioned, poison works, but it takes a while and you find corpses in many hidden places. I suppose you could use both. we found 7 mice and 5 nests in the Cougar (although that car was easy to clean up) and are still battling with the Jeep. mice gone, smell not. we gutted the interior. I hate those meeces to pieces! (cartoon quote)

Last edited:
I live in the country and mice are just always an issue. You may never get rid of them 100% if you live in the country. I have a cat and he does get some mice but they also have learned to stay out of his way.

I have used the wooden snap traps with success but found better traps. Peanut butter either way. The snap traps sometimes let the mouse eat the bait and walk away. You can fiddle with them and make them more sensitive. But they rust a little and then become less sensitive.

Also mice tend to walk along walls, etc to stay safe, not run across a room. So place traps perpendicular to wall (bait side towards wall) near the perimeter.

These are the best I have found and I have yet to find one where the mouse ate the bait and did not get caught.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B9X...ailpage_o08_s00

Originally Posted By: 3for3
Originally Posted By: dishdude
How big are the droppings? That will tell you if you're dealing with mice or rats. You don't want to poison them, they will die inside some place you can't locate them and stink as they decay.

The droppings look like the size off pellets used in a pellet riffle.

Great advice on staying away from poisons and having decaying rodent stench. My stomach turns just thinking about it.

Droppings that large aren't mice. Mice droppings are the size of grains of rice and smaller. If the droppings are the size of a pellet then I would say you have rats, chipmunks, or even squirrels.

I would buy some regular old victor mouse and rat traps and set them 1st and see what you catch. You might want to get a have a heart catch and release trap and set it to see if you have chipmunks or squirrels.

I don't like the Victor snap traps. They are difficult to set and always go off before I put them down, which startles the heck out of me. And yet the mice are able to always easily eat all the bait off them without setting them off.
confused2.gif

My new favorite trap is the bucket trap. I set this up last week in my basement and I caught 3 mice in 3 days. It's super easy to clean up and reset.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Droppings that large aren't mice. Mice droppings are the size of grains of rice and smaller. If the droppings are the size of a pellet then I would say you have rats, chipmunks, or even squirrels.

I would buy some regular old victor mouse and rat traps and set them 1st and see what you catch. You might want to get a have a heart catch and release trap and set it to see if you have chipmunks or squirrels.

I would agree, and the larger the animal the better! Mice can get in through an opening the size of a dime, larger animals obviously need a bigger opening so it should be pretty easy go around and seal things up.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I don't like the Victor snap traps. They are difficult to set and always go off before I put them down, which startles the heck out of me. And yet the mice are able to always easily eat all the bait off them without setting them off.
confused2.gif

What you say is true to some extent but they are a very reliable, cheap, and efficient trap if set properly. They always get the job done for me with mice. Here are some tips for you...

1 - use cheese( firm cheese like cheddar works best IME )to bait the trap on the bait platform not peanut butter or other easily licked off baits. Break off a small piece of cheese and roll it around in your hand until it warms up and becomes like putty. Then squish it onto the bait platform in a small ball covering the end of the platform. Just don't over bait it and also try and work some into the rolled edge of the end of the platform too( like one of those balls to entertain dogs you put treats or peanut butter in - makes them work at it ). Here is the real key = do it 1st thing in the AM and let the trap sit out all day so the cheese hardens a bit. It makes it much harder for them to get it off and thus easier to spring the trap.

2 - use a little peanut butter on the trigger arm and catch. Put a little into the catch and then spread some on the long trigger arm( down near the catch end not up on the non baited end ). This works really well at getting young, small mice, who can clean the bait platform without tripping it because they are so delicate. The mice here anyway always go for the cheese first. Once it is gone they smell the peanut butter and will walk forward to get it. The combo of them actually messing with the trigger arm and catch and usually moving onto the bait platform will set the trap of even with the smallest and lightest mouse.

3 - set the trap in place whenever possible to avoid setting it off accidentally when carrying/setting it down. Bait it wherever you want but when you are actually setting it make sure it is sitting where you want it to be to catch the mouse. That way there is no accidental trip. If you do have to set it then place it into the spot make sure the trigger arm is properly set into the catch( this accounts for most of the accidental trips for me - I don't have it hooked properly - usually the trigger arm is rolled slightly sideways vs straight up and down and that let's it trip when I set it down )hold it gently between your thumb and index finger and ease it into place bait platform end 1st and then gently lower the rear down.

I actually just had a mouse infestation issue myself a few weeks back. A female had babies somewhere here and when they were old enough took them out I guess to show them how to forage. I came out one morning and my counter and stovetop looked like someone spilled a container of chocolate sprinkles everywhere( never seen so much mouse poo from just one night
shocked2.gif
).

I keep 2 of the Victor traps on hand so I set them normal( just cheese - no peanut butter on trigger arm and catch ). I caught one big one the 1st night( Mom )but the next night both traps were cleaned without tripping TWICE( I checked and reset them in the middle of the night ). I noticed very small poops on the paper towel the traps were on so I realized I was dealing with all/mostly young ones at that point. So I added the peanut butter to the trigger arm and catch, made sure I baited the platform with cheese in the AM so it could harden onto the bait platform, and eventually caught 8 little mice over the next 3 days.

Been a couple weeks now with no more caught and no more sign( i.e. POOP! everywhere
mad.gif
).

The rookie problem with snap traps is they hold the wooden base with their thumb and forefinger pads, and have to "hover" the base 1/4 inch off the ground, and drop it into place.

If you work your finger pads so you can place the wood on the floor without dropping it, you get better luck. But it feels unnatural, like the trap is going to slip loose, and once you've snapped the first one, your nerves can get the better of you.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The rookie problem with snap traps is they hold the wooden base with their thumb and forefinger pads, and have to "hover" the base 1/4 inch off the ground, and drop it into place.

If you work your finger pads so you can place the wood on the floor without dropping it, you get better luck. But it feels unnatural, like the trap is going to slip loose, and once you've snapped the first one, your nerves can get the better of you.

That is why I always try and set them in place. Just easier all around.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: eljefino

That is why I always try and set them in place. Just easier all around.

+1

I keep a few in the garage to keep mice in there down so they don't go live in the cars. I have seen droppings on occasion.

But I cant get any with the wood traps with peanut butter.... The only thing that works for me is live traps with peanut butter. Weird. Pheromones didn't work either... Maybe the water trick would be good...

The live traps can be nasty, because the mouse pees/poops itself in there and is covered in feces and soaking wet. Nasty.

I use a Rat Zapper electronic trap. I have killed at least 20 mice with 4 d cells. Very handy, when the red light is flashing just shake the dead mouse into the garbage. I bait with peanut butter in a plastic water bottle cap. It is plenty big enough for rats.

Awesome replies, everyone. I just read through them all, and I appreciate the ideas and suggestions. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back