Redline 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the Redline 5w-30 is a thicker oil like I have read on here about some of their other oils? Thinking of switching from the usual M1 0w-40 to the Redline 5w-30. Everything I have read on here says how great it is and that is the oil they reccommend for my car...2006 MB SLK280.

Originally Posted By: jbellx3
Does anyone know if the Redline 5w-30 is a thicker oil like I have read on here about some of their other oils? Thinking of switching from the usual M1 0w-40 to the Redline 5w-30. Everything I have read on here says how great it is and that is the oil they reccommend for my car...2006 MB SLK280.

Stick to M1 0W40.
HTHS on RL is 3.7cp on M1 is 3.8cp.
RL is NOT approved oil by MB (I am not saying it is not good), M1 is.
I would not mind using RL, but until they approve it, no way!

It meets the-Mercedes Benz MB 229.3
Mercedes Benz MB 229.5

I dont know what HTHS is...

Last edited:
Mercedes Benz MB 229.5

It meets, but it is NOT approved by MB. Those are two different things.
HTHS (HighTemperatureHighSheer) is more important then cst.
0W40 will provide you better start, and as for kinematic viscosity at 100c, M1 is thicker.
M1 0W40 is much more then what your engine actually needs, and it is cheaper then RL.

Last edited:
Mercedes Benz MB 229.5

HTHSV is high temperature high shear viscosity which is a very good figure to compare overall viscosity of the oil especially during hard use so a higher HTHS viscosity would make that oil thicker.

I would stay with the Mobil 1 0W40, you really can't do much better, especially if you're like me and buy it cheap in jugs for under $30. You will pay almost double for Redline with no measurable benefits

RL HAS Part POE base and A MORE ROBUST ADD PACK TOO. Approvals are for the totaly non conosceur. JK😄

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pontual
RL HAS Part POE base and A MORE ROBUST ADD PACK TOO. Approvals are for the totaly non conosceur.

RL is Ester based not PAO based.
And why approvals are not important again?

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Where did you read PAO, again?

POE is POLYOL ESTER

Sorry, yes POE.
However, more importantly, how mfg approvals are not important?

Large companies like ExxonMobil and Shell are blending these high end oils to be perfectly balanced for everything needed inside an engine while companies like Redline are focusing on other things like over treating with AW, FM, and detergents while they may improve one metric or another they may have an impact on other areas such as deposits or TBN retention.

Mobil 1 0W40 not only has tons of approvals but also has a very robust additive package which is why I can't imagine anyone needing anything different for anything short of a full blown race car and even then it works in many of those applications.

Bob- i could use their 0w-40, they are in NorCal like me, and he said that he reccomened the 5w-30...it dosnt get that cold here, but I could use the 0w-40...

Why use an oil that costs 2x as much or MORE, when an MB approved oil that is easily obtained is available readily?

His 2006 MB is no longer under the factory powertrain warranty, no need for an MB approved oil. There are plenty of oils that would work well in it, some HDEOs or other non-MB-approved oils.

Jbell, I'm sure you know Redline is located in CA, so is Chevron.

If you wanted to support a local small business, go with Redline. Chevron also has several oils that would work well, but they are far from a small busines...

Originally Posted By: BobFout
His 2006 MB is no longer under the factory powertrain warranty, no need for an MB approved oil. There are plenty of oils that would work well in it, some HDEOs or other non-MB-approved oils.

If you wanted to support a local small business, go with Redline. Chevron also has several oils that would work well, but they are far from a small busines...

It is not under warranty so no need for approved oil?
Except for the fact that engine is build by MB, and one might think they know what kind of oil should go in engine, that again, they build, why would OP go with anything else since M1 is $26 for 5qt and is much, much better then HDEO's or Kendall or whatever?
Like I said in many posts, obtaining approval is very cheap, so why RL does not do it? Amsoil actually did it for some of their oils. They could fallow their example.
I actually like their numbers in pds sheet.
If they approve 5W30 Euro (their low-saps version) I would be first to put it in my BMW. Until then, will get M1 5W30 ESP that is actually approved.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Except for the fact that engine is build by MB, and one might think they know what kind of oil should go in engine, that again, they build, why would OP go with anything else since M1 is $26 for 5qt and is much, much better then HDEO's or Kendall or whatever?
Like I said in many posts, obtaining approval is very cheap, so why RL does not do it? Amsoil actually did it for some of their oils. They could fallow their example.
If they approve 5W30 Euro (their low-saps version) I would be first to put it in my BMW. Until then, will get M1 5W30 ESP that is actually approved.

Approval locks you into making no changes for 2 or 3 years, however long the approval is for. I also suspect Redline has too many additives for official approval.

The very fact that Doug Hillary has recommended Delvac 1 5w40 in some Porsche engines should indicate something...

EDIT: No one is saying to use some ILSAC low-HTHS oil, but contrary to the sky-is-falling types, there are non-MB approved oils that work well. Same with other European engines. CJ-4 oils come to mind, or other oils recommended, but not approved, for use in those applications. This same discussion has been happening for years with many different engine types.

Last edited:

Approval locks you into making no changes for 2 or 3 years, however long the approval is for. I also suspect Redline has too many additives for official approval.

The very fact that Doug Hillary has recommended Delvac 1 5w40 in some Porsche engines should indicate something...

Approval also means that people who build engine might know what is good for engine.
I have no doubt that RL is good oil. It has good base, good if not best NOACK, very good HTHS etc, BUT, I do not have guarantee that that oil will meet needs of EGR, DPF in my car or leave maybe excessive deposits in OP's car.
Maybe additives that RL uses are not good for OP's car. Do you know 100% that they are good? or that they are OK for new diesels with complicated emission systems? Or DI engines and carbon build up?
Approvals do not lock anyone into anything. RL, Amsoil etc. will do anyway good first 50K or whatever until car is under warranty. Thing is whether they will cause long term issues. I do not know what RL cooks in the kitchen, neither do you, but I do now that MB said that whatever Mobil1 cooked in their kitchen, meets their standards. And unlike you and me, they actually designed that engine.

Last edited:

Approval also means that people who build engine might know what is good for engine.
I have no doubt that RL is good oil. It has good base, good if not best NOACK, very good HTHS etc, BUT, I do not have guarantee that that oil will meet needs of EGR, DPF in my car or leave maybe excessive deposits in OP's car.
Maybe additives that RL uses are not good for OP's car. Do you know 100% that they are good? or that they are OK for new diesels with complicated emission systems? Or DI engines and carbon build up?
Approvals do not lock anyone into anything. RL, Amsoil etc. will do anyway good first 50K or whatever until car is under warranty. Thing is whether they will cause long term issues. I do not know what RL cooks in the kitchen, neither do you, but I do now that MB said that whatever Mobil1 cooked in their kitchen, meets their standards. And unlike you and me, they actually designed that engine.

We are talking about his petrol engine, there is no DPF, no EGR (other than internal EGR), and there is no issue of deposits if using a correct oil.

For 10 or 15 years now enough people have used non-approved oils (redline, amsoil, truck oils) in European engines, we'd know if there were issues.

I'm with BobFout on this. While an approved lube is the preferred and most fail-safe option, it's not the only one. One can go out of spec with careful reasoning, and Red Line 5w-30 is much, much more a Euro type 5w-30 than a North American ILSAC 5w-30. Given prices in the States, I'd stick to M1 0w-40 or the like. But, if specified oils were unavailable for some hypothetical reason, and I were forced to choose outside the box, Red Line's higher HTHS stuff would be a very reasonable alternative.

My concern isn't about harm to the engine at all. My concern would be the price of Red Line.

Agreed ^

There are couple of situations where we have to look beyond OEM recommendations.

1. Our equipment is old, and original recommendations are obsolete now, and there's better options available.

2. Our equipment is so modified that we cannot except that original recommendations would work as intended in our case.

3. Our equipment from the factory came with improper/ only adequate recommendations for various reasons (fuel economy / emissions ), and based on a experience / knowledge we can make a decision that can/should perform better. For example: moving from 5w20 ILAAC to 5w30 A5/B5 when pulling a trailer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back