The only 4T65e USA made filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case anyone was wondering, I spoke with Dave at triple edge performance a few weeks ago and inquired about the filters they use in their rebuilds. He informed me that the only company that makes USA made filters currently is allomatic and they sell them in their online store too.

He said Napa used to sell allomatic under their own brand and possibly may still do so but he's not sure.

Sealed power used to be oem USA made but shipped off to China and lost quality and fitment as expected.

It is important to have a snug seal in the housing with your transmission filter and the allomatic is nice and snug.

I may buy a couple to keep on hand in case they stop making them. I had issues with a made it China Wix filter last pan drop where it fit very loosely and moved too much.

Just thought I would give everyone a heads up, who knows how much longer these will be USA made and have excellent fit and finish, might want to stockpile.

901 Memphis are you a transmission rebuilder? I used to work for SPX Filtran many years ago, before they took some of their production to China, but they still make a good filter.-- It probably is still the OEM supplier. I currently work for another Automatic Transmission related company in Miami, FL. and sell many Off-shore filters coming from Taiwan which has been a reliable source and much better than filters coming from China at the moment.

No I an not a transmission rebuilder, just an automotive enthusiast who likes good parts.

I will keep what you said in mind if I ever have trouble finding the allomatic filter but Dave at triple edge performance who rebuilt my transmission pretty much said it's the best fitting and best quality filter available for the 4T65e.

Where would I get one of these taiwanese filters if I wanted one?

I usually shop at Rockauto and they have two different ac delco models, I would assume that the more expensive one is the oem like filter while the professional model is likely cheaper quality.

It at least used to be that the more expensive ACDelco filter was the OE model and was a filtran usually. The less expensive usually appeared to be whatever WIX sold for the application.

All this information on Allomatic is good to know. When you posted about them in my thread I had never heard of the company before.
Being the best quality, less costly than acdelco, and USA made, these are a no brainer!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Also the allomatic is USA made and only $14.95 which makes it cheaper than even the AC Delco professional.

Thanks for the information, been looking for a filter for my 4T65E transmission, and was looking at the AC Delco Professional on Rock Auto. Glad there is still one made here, I plan on purchasing any transmission filter I can from Triple Edge now.

Have you found the Allomatic transmission filters sold anywhere else?

Originally Posted By: bmod305
Napa still uses Allomatic.

Dave

Thanks for confirming that, do you know their price?

I would also like to know how one would know it was an allomatic filter and not another brand at Napa. The picture for the 4T65E filter looks different than the one on the Triple Edge performance site.

Thanks for the info, i have to order some. The stash of USA made Wix is almost gone, now they are Chinese.
I paid $10 ea at NAPA in 08.

Thanks for the tip! I was disappointed with the Wix I installed in my truck.. first one leaked (had delayed engagement on cold start) replaced with another wix and that fixed it. I think ill see about getting a allomatic for future use

I ordered a Hastings for my 4l60E. What came in the Hastings box was a SPX Filtran, made in China. From what I gather it is the same filter that the Chev dealer was selling. But mine was 35$ cheaper.

It was solid in construction, looked as good as the oem one then it replaced. It sealed great and has been working great since.

I am not a huge proponent for non North American parts but this seemed to work great.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
I ordered a Hastings for my 4l60E. What came in the Hastings box was a SPX Filtran, made in China. From what I gather it is the same filter that the Chev dealer was selling. But mine was 35$ cheaper.

It was solid in construction, looked as good as the oem one then it replaced. It sealed great and has been working great since.

I am not a huge proponent for non North American parts but this seemed to work great.

Yes they are second place in this race but the older made in the USA Filtran was more robust. They had to shave a few pennies here and there but still is a better choice than all the other white box filters.

That's weird, All the Delco-Filtran 4L60E filter kits I buy (Over 100 a year) are made in Mexico, I buy the AC-Delco kit with the Fiber Gasket & Filter on flat cardboard, Cant stand Cork or Rubber gaskets, And do not trust the cheap filters from transmission part suppliers. I always inspect filters for cracks, So I usually note where they are made.

I wonder if SPX-Filtran has two separate plants making the same filter, The one in Mexico makes the Filter kits for GM, And the one in China makes the filters that get outsourced to Non-OEM's, Balwin/Hastings, Parker/Racor etc?? Probably the same quality if their QC is kept up.

I built a 4L60E for a 5.3L Trailblazer today, Thought it was funny since you have a Trialblazer.....

I also recently learned that Allomatic is a brand of Raybestos. Not sure if anyone knew that. By the way here is where I currently buy the filters.

http://shop.tripleedgeperformance.com/4T60E-65E-Filter-84710E.htm

Thanks for the info!, Allomatic used to be a Major player in the automatic trans repair industry, The last I remember using their Frictions was in the late '80's...I know at the time Raybestos, Allomatic, & Borg Warner were competitors in the Clutch Plate game, I really thought Allomatic went bankrupt 25 years ago....

Interesting info on the filtrans... unusual why they would be manufactured in different plants.... regardless, thanks for the pictures and info!

On a side note, in the numerous 4l60e's you have torn down, what sort of main issues crop up for long term reliability?

On a side note, in the numerous 4l60e's you have torn down, what sort of main issues crop up for long term reliability?

Reaction Sun-Shell breakage & 3-4 Clutch failure are the top 2.

The sun-shell is easily taken care of with a Sonnax Smart Shell, They harden the Splined area (To prevent spline stripping), Then weld a support collar on (To prevent breakage)
Here's a pic, Sonnax shell on the left, Stock shell on the right.

There are several reasons for 3-4 clutch failure, Hydraulic leaks being #1, Clutch overheat, Clutch apply plate run-out (Applies the clutch pack unevenly)....

Then there are design flaws, The 3-4 apply piston is very small, Not enough apply area to adequately clamp the clutch. With no way to re-engineer this, we are forced too "UP" line pressure with a higher ratio Boost Valve, And add more Friction area too the 3-4 clutch pack, Using a Sonnax Boost valve with a .490" reaction area (Stock is .472"), And 8 3-4 Frictions (Stock is 6) has worked very well along with addressing leaks in the apply circuit, Leveling the Apply Plate, Blueprinting clearances, And instructing the end user on how to keep the clutch cool....
Avoid repetitive full throttle 4-1,3-1,3-2 downshifts, And repetitive full throttle 3-2 & 2-3 shifts.

This particular 4L60E I have pictured, Had burnt 3-4's, Because of a major Hydraulic leak that was caused by a wiped out Stator Support Bushing....This allowed the Input Shaft to wobble around inside the Stator, Tearing up the Sealing rings for the 3-4 clutch.
When Coppor & Brass prices went through the roof, GM started using Aluminum Bushings, Aluminum does not hold up as well as Copper/Brass.

Ruined Bushing & Stator support, Note the 4 wear marks inside the sleeve, The top 2 are where the 3-4 sealing rings ride.

New Stator Support with Copper/Brass Bushing installed.

The Bushing rides where the red arrow is, The grey arrow is the first sealing ring groove, Pictured is me installing the Input shaft sealing rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back