Last survivor of USS Oklahoma dies at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.
frown.gif

frown.gif
Rest your oars sailor. May he find peace.

I remember when I was in the Navy we would always pull in past the Arizona and tie up right behind the USS Utah. It was a humbling experience. They would tie the SSBNs up on Ford Island which was where all the Battleships were tied up during the attack. Lots of history there. Always made me choke up and feel proud.
USS Utah

Back when I was in, Ford Island still required a ferry to get on and off of it. The airfield was there, as were the old barracks and medical clinic. They still had bullet holes in them from the attack. Now there is a bridge, housing and a museum there. Does not have the same feel.

My last duty station was on Hickam AFB from 1995 to 1998 but I worked on Ford Island at the DFAS Center, which is now closed.

I rode the ferry past the USS Arizona Memorial twice a day. It was a very humbling experience. I got to see several of the survivors that came to the Memorial on the December 7 anniversary.

RIP Ed Vezey

Fair winds and following seas mate. Hand salute. Ready two.

I was blessed with four years at Pearl. We lived on the middle loch and I was able to commute on the water front bike path to Makalapa or the shipyard. I went in before dawn and had eight to nine miles of solace on the trip including thoughts of those on the Utah and Arizona that expired waiting for the rescue that never came. Each morning I resolved, given the choice, I was going to go out fighting. Respect for those men that didn't have that opportunity.

Took the family on a vacation to Hawaii over Thanksgiving last year. Spent one whole day at Pearl - great experience. I salute all WWII vets. They did it the really hard way.

These guyus suffered in silence when they got home. Some endured the unknowable, unthinkable, and inimaginable. Most went on with life. Far cry from today.

We owe them much. I salute them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back