2012 Chrys T&C Random Shutoff While Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to figure out this problem and its very intermittent.

We've experienced this problem 3-4 times total, vehicle has about 77k on it. The "key" is a transponder that you insert and turn, not a push button start. Has happened are varying temperatures. Generally on smooth roads. Transponder batteries are new in both transponders. My wife's key ring is a little heavy, but my key ring has the transponder, then hanging off of it is a house key and a small remote start fob on it and this problem has happened with both transponders. No CELs are thrown when it happens, I have not plugged in my Bluetooth OBD and tried to see if there were any hidden codes.

While driving the vehicle will just power down, not just an engine stall, but a full power down including dash, radio, exterior lights, everything. The key does not appear to move as last week before I was able to put it in neutral and coast/brake to the shoulder, it restarted itself.

Quick research brings up a similar issue that was recalled for a some 2010 MY vehicles, but that was a very select group of 2010 vehicles.

Any other insight from about this issue?

I think that recall of 2011's for the stopping problem did not happen until well into the 2012 year and included some 2012 models. Someone at work had one of these recalls and very soon after had a connecting rod bearing let go that was covered by a recall and the warranty. After some kind of dealing with an attorney he returned the vehicle. His opinion of his T&C was that he really like the driving and features but the random stopping and then the engine blowing up made continued ownership not possible.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
TIPM. That's what it was on our Wrangler.

Dare I ask how much that cost to replace?

I'm assuming you experienced the same/similar symptoms?

Thanks

I have the 2009 and they replaced the key and performed a warranty repair on it. Chrysler also recommends that you have nothing attached to the key - just the key and nothing else.

At any rate, that is a SERIOUS safety hazard and your car needs to go back to Chrysler ASAP. If it is not under recall, they might even just replace the warrantied parts if you raise enough stink with Chrysler about how dangerous it is. If they don't change any parts, there needs to be at least a documented complaint in their system.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration I believe handles all the complaints on this safety defect and there might be some recourse through them.

Best minivan generation: 2001-2007
Best engine choice: 3.3
Models without chip key (Mainly base Dodge models).

The models with rear ac/heat,ABS,traction control,auto stick,AWD.....are the ones to stay away from.

That being said,the 2008-up generation have been disasters.Absolutely no parts interchange between the generations (even the 3.3/3.8 engines changed and accessories aren't the same).And if you thought the 01-07 Power Distribution Center was a problem,the later TiPM (Totally integrated Power Module) will drive you to the poor house.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I have the 2009 and they replaced the key and performed a warranty repair on it. Chrysler also recommends that you have nothing attached to the key - just the key and nothing else.

At any rate, that is a SERIOUS safety hazard and your car needs to go back to Chrysler ASAP. If it is not under recall, they might even just replace the warrantied parts if you raise enough stink with Chrysler about how dangerous it is. If they don't change any parts, there needs to be at least a documented complaint in their system.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration I believe handles all the complaints on this safety defect and there might be some recourse through them.

Nothing on the key? I'm sure everyone follows that. Between that and the Chevy recall, these car mfgs need to think of real life. Should people have a 5lb key ring, absolutely not, but a couple of keys in addition to the car key is not unreasonable.

I'm working on getting this taken care of. Really didn't want to have to spend a solid grand+ on the car right now, but safety is paramount.

At first the local dealer said if they can't repeat the problem and there are no codes, it's not likely they will be able to diagnose. I then asked about more extensive diagnosis as the vehicle is unsafe. That lead to more questions and the service adviser I spoke with is asking more questions internally.

This is ridiculous. If it doesn't recognize the key it should flash a security light for 30 seconds and ding at you before shutting down. Just... morally.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
This is ridiculous. If it doesn't recognize the key it should flash a security light for 30 seconds and ding at you before shutting down. Just... morally.

I should mention that ... both times the TIPM failed it had different results.

The first time around, it was the vehicle shutting off as it would lose communication with the electronic throttle body and it would just shut off.

The second time, along with issues with the electronic swaybar disconnect and electronic axle lock, it stopped communicating with the SENTRY module it would start dinging and flashing the light and then shut off. Then start, run for 20 seconds and shut off. Rinse , lather , repeat for a while then work normally.

There is a reason my parents ended 30 years of Jeep ownership. A CJ, 3 TJs and a JK and that was enough for them.

*faints*

There is a reason my parents ended 30 years of Jeep ownership. A CJ, 3 TJs and a JK and that was enough for them.

If we can't get this fixed, I feel I'll have no choice but to get another car and it would be hard to buy another Chrysler.

Family Cars
2015 Fit
2013 Fiesta
2012 T&C
2004 Neon
2007 Caliber
2004 Ion
2005 2500
1991 250 Truck
2002 Neon
2000 Stratus
1993 Shadow
1989 Sundance
198x 250 Van

You could say we like Chryslers.

I don't think its key related, to be honest. Those transponder keys will work when inserted into the dash even without the transponder battery installed (it operates as a RFID in that mode, the battery is only really needed for keyless pushbutton start to boost the signal so that it doesn't have to be right against the RFID scanner behind the start button/transponder socket- I've confirmed this with my SRT transponder key). I'd be more inclined to suspect the TIPM as mentioned, except that the most common TIPM problem was the fuel pump relay- you'd get a stall, but you wouldn't lose all power.

The TIPM was, IMO, a bad idea but almost every manufacturer has gone to some variant of that design since it reduces the wiring harness complexity quite a bit (the TIPM or equivalent is the center of the universe for heavy wiring, only multiplexed light-gauge signalling connects it to the dash and controls). But it also puts the heavy switching out under the hood in a hostile environment. Combine that with a bad supplier and under-spec'd relays, and you have the 2010-2012 TIPM fiasco that Chrysler had.

Originally Posted By: racer12306

*faints*

If we can't get this fixed, I feel I'll have no choice but to get another car and it would be hard to buy another Chrysler.

Family Cars
2015 Fit
2013 Fiesta
2012 T&C
2004 Neon
2007 Caliber
2004 Ion
2005 2500
1991 250 Truck
2002 Neon
2000 Stratus
1993 Shadow
1989 Sundance
198x 250 Van

You could say we like Chryslers.

Luckily, they were both free and under warranty.

As were the differential rebuilds, multiple sets of axle seals

Or like the cars with pushbutton start - yells that there is no key but the car runs normally until you shut it off.

Is it part of the recall for the ignition switch? Have you tried without any keys other than the ignition key?

Right now, after speaking on the phone, all the dealer can say is that for $99.95 I can get an hour of diagnostic service and using my information they can do their best to pin point the problem.

Lot to think about this week. Seriously considering dumping the car and getting something else rather that run the risk of dumping thousands chasing an electrical problem. Seems every important module is $1000 and change to replace.

That's a pretty serious problem, and not one that I'd live with for long. We sold our 2007 Town & Country after only 3 years after buying it new for far less dangerous problems (but no less frustrating, I assure you!).

My mom had a similar deal with an '85 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser (the wagon version of the Cutlass Ciera). It'd just completely blank out and die, randomly. Over the many years they owned it, Oldsmobile replaced the computer on it at least half a dozen times. It quit in the middle of our move from CA to VA, in the middle of South Dakota on the interstate. Dad was towing our 20' Terry travel trailer with the Jeep Cherokee and the wagon died. In a stroke of luck, it died in the only town with an Oldsmobile dealer for many miles, and between the two exits on the interstate for that town. Left the car on the shoulder, drove to the next exit, dad left the trailer in an A&W parking lot and doubled back and towed the Olds to the dealer. Sure enough...they replaced the computer and we were on our way...

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Class action lawsuit regarding the issue:

http://www.chryslerproblems.com/trends/tipm/

Weird since the 2008-2010 vans are covered:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/chrysler...y-shut-off.html

That's what I'm seeing, a 2012 shouldn't have this problem.

In the second link at the very bottom of the article there's a number for Chrysler. I'd call them and bypass the commissioned service advisor to hopefully make some arrangements to get this taken care of. Be sure to mention that you're a long time Chrysler customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back