Ford Code P0128

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning it was cold out below freezing & started my 2011 Crown Vic. CEL came on . Advance Auto read code as P0128. Coolant , possible temp sensor, thermostat. Thinking about replacing the thermostat since its original with 79K miles. Coolant level is ok & heat in car works ok. Not overheating either? Car runs fine.

Last edited:
If you have a few short trips where it isn't able to get up to temperature, it will trip P0128.

Ford released a 190F thermostat for the Focii since P0128 is common for short tripped Foci even with a functional 180F thermostat

Originally Posted By: Miller88
If you have a few short trips where it isn't able to get up to temperature, it will trip P0128.

Ford released a 190F thermostat for the Focii since P0128 is common for short tripped Foci even with a functional 180F thermostat

That's possible since I do a lot of short trips. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would not replace a thermostat over this.

The thermostat is original. Why not? Will the CEL go out if I don't replace it or does it have to be reset?

PO128 means the car is not heating up enough across an interval. 3 bad trips sets the code and 3 good trips will erase it from many systems.

New stat probably fixes this. I have also seen fans running all the time do this, but you'd probably hear that...

I had this code in both Fords and the thermostat was the problem both times. I would replace it as it may cost you MPG on cold starts.

Isn't this code aimed directly at finding a faulty thermostat?

I don't own a Ford but I replace the thermostat every time I replace the coolant. I've always been a bit nervous about a cooling system problem becoming the end of my engine.

7L3Z-8575-D is the t-stat and F1VY-8255-A is the o-ring, I have sold more than I can shake a stick at in my 8 1/2 years slinging parts. They are sold separately. Also keep an eye on your Vic overheating, the cooling fan and module are common failure items on those.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
7L3Z-8575-D is the t-stat and F1VY-8255-A is the o-ring, I have sold more than I can shake a stick at in my 8 1/2 years slinging parts. They are sold separately. Also keep an eye on your Vic overheating, the cooling fan and module are common failure items on those.
Thanks I just ordered both from Rock Auto. No cooling issues at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back