Diesel Cetane Improvers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any empirical evidence that using Brand X diesel fuel additive will increase cetane? Example: A sample of diesel fuel tested at 40 cetane and after adding Brand X the cetane was 45. Almost all additives claim to raise cetane, but I haven't been able to find a chart or graph that demonstrates the actual increase.

Amsoil makes some specific claims and has a chart to help with picking the correct dose for your application along with claims that it works with ULSD and any added on emission system.

I'd bet that actual testing is expensive so you're stuck trying out different brands to see if they even work at all for your application.

I would say most of the brand name cetane boosters are probably fairly close in performance so I would base it on price and availability. I sell a ton of the Ford stuff, some of my customers swear by it.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
Is there any empirical evidence that using Brand X diesel fuel additive will increase cetane? Example: A sample of diesel fuel tested at 40 cetane and after adding Brand X the cetane was 45. Almost all additives claim to raise cetane, but I haven't been able to find a chart or graph that demonstrates the actual increase.

The actual increase is fuel-specific. That's why the increase is listed as "up to" xyz points.

For the most bang-for-the-buck for cetane increase, Amsoil and FPPF have the most pure products. There are other multi-purpose additives that also increase cetane.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

The actual increase is fuel-specific. That's why the increase is listed as "up to" xyz points.

For the most bang-for-the-buck for cetane increase, Amsoil and FPPF have the most pure products. There are other multi-purpose additives that also increase cetane.

Not on here often but what is FPPF? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Rat407

Not on here often but what is FPPF? Thanks

FPPF is a company, their 8+ Cetane Improver product is what I am referring to.

Both are using EHN.

FPPF is between 30%-60%.
Amsoil is between 60%-100%.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Both are using EHN.

FPPF is between 30%-60%.
Amsoil is between 60%-100%.

EHN is the chemical used for cetane improvement. The EPA has published lots of reports on the effects of cetane improver on emissions and lists EHN as the primary source. A scrupulous marketer will always express cetane as a range, or better yet show some examples of cetane number improvement using ASTM methods for reference fuels. EHN also functions much like the solvents used to cut down other fuel additives - this is why they are common in multi-purpose products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back