Is 89 octane gas obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1O

Morning all. I decided when I bought the Vic I was going treat this car very well and take care of it like I didn't on my truck.I have run some 89 octane gas through it and the car runs no different on 89 vs 87 octane gas. Mileage was the same although I did get 24 miles further on a tank of 89 vs 87 but the cost of 89 vs 87 based on a 19.0 gallon tank 89 octane was 38.19 87 octane was 35.34 it basically becomes a wash. So why does the oil companies still sell the stuff? As far as I can tell there is no benefit to 89 octane gas. It has the same add pack that regular has and as far as I can tell u get the same mileage on a cost per basis so what's the use for it ?

Some engines based on compression ratio and/or turbo/super charging require higher than normal octane. This mitigates detonation or performance issues.

Sometimes this is 89, often times 91, some need 93.

89 E-10 is common at many Nebraska locations. I use SHELL 91 unleaded since the bottom fell out of crude oil. Probably go back to 89 E-10 when crude costs go back up.

Easy answer. The gas pump at the station blends the highest octane with the lowest octane to create 89 octane.
Some auto makers have stated we don't get the same compression ratio and/or engine tune like the Europeans due to North Americas addiction to 87 octane.
In Europe. the Mazda Skyactiv 2.0L engine has 1 point higher compression and some VW/Audi and other vehicles can run a special lean burn due to peoples inability to pump an equivilent 87 octane swill in their tank.

Surprised 89 is still around. All stations really need is 87 and 91/93.

Surprised the pumps didn't get converted over to E-85 or electric charge port by now.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Surprised 89 is still around. All stations really need is 87 and 91/93.

Surprised the pumps didn't get converted over to E-85 or electric charge port by now.

There are still cars that call for 89 octane. There is nothing to change: almost all stations only have 2 gas tanks: one regular, one premium, and they blend them at the pump for 89.

I've actually received worse gas mileage (2001 Tahoe) with 89 vs 87. Of course, there are variables outside the scope of Octane that were involved, but it was on a very similar freeway run.

In the old days "regular" leaded was 89. 87 unleaded (which was intially the only octane they could blend at reasonable cost) required lower compression on the 70's tech engines, so they kept 89 unleaded around to feed the older fleet. And people kept buying it so they kept blending it at the pump... no need for an extra tank so the cost was minimal. And to this day people buy it to be "slightly special".

We have 89 here in Houston. Never seen a pump that didn't have anything but 87, 89 and 93. I do believe the 87 and 93 blend together to make 89 though, which is actually 90.

So if I go to a station that sells E-0 premium the 89 should only be E-5 when blended with the E-10 87?

Only pumps I've seen around here that don't offer 89 octane are the ones at Sam's . 87 and 93 only.
I did have a 91' Crx DX automatic with the SOHC 1.5 - that would ping on hard acceleration if I ran 87 - I had to run 89 in it even though the owners manual stated 87.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Nope. On my truck 89 octane is recommended but 87 can be used.

My 5.7 Hemi in my truck says the same. I just pit in 87 & call it a day. It does not ping at all.

My owners manual recommends premium but i have been using the 89 without problems. The price in my area is $2.12 for 89 and $2.69 for 91. Premium costs me a extra $10.00 a tank.

I remember on some trips to mountain areas of the western United States. Some of the pumps have 86 octane with 88 as the mid grade and 90 or 91 as premium.

Put the 86 in my rental car and was on my way.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
My 5.7 Hemi in my truck says the same. I just put in 87 & call it a day. It does not ping at all.

Well it shouldn't, the knock sensors will cause the timing to be retarded enough to prevent it.

In WV, stations usually have 87, 91 & 93. Some stations will have 89 instead of 91. If your car doesn't require anything more than 87 then 89 or any other higher octane is a waste of money.

Costco and Sam's Club don't sell 89. It's only 87 and 93.

Sunoco sells 87/89/91/93 (used to be 87/89/93/94). Sunoco had some special valve thing that made them possible to sell four grades rather than the three options that most stations sell.

The 89 blend is one part 93 and two parts 87, not a 50:50 mix. It is usually cheaper to do this yourself than to buy the 89 which is priced like it is 50:50.

I think dodge hemi needs recommended 89. I had a Ram rental and it said 89, but 87 is okay according to the manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back