Toyota Cartridge Removal Tool - Recs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I need a recommendation for a toyota oil filter wrench removal tool that actually lasts. Or one that I can get a warranty replacement for w/o too much trouble. The applications in question are the 1.8L (Prius, Corolla) and the 2.5/3.5 (Camry, Highlander).

So far, I have broken a Bluepoint one and I have wore-out a Lisle branded one. I'm finding that a lot of these housings are often way, way overtightened by lube techs and the cap often breaks when trying to remove the oil filter housing.

I did some research and came across this brand. They claim to use 6061 T5 aluminum - can anyone comment on the usefulness of this material?

http://www.motivxtools.com/products/oil-service-tools/mx2321
http://www.motivxtools.com/products/oil-service-tools/mx2320

I am open to hearing any recommendations, but any removal tool that I purchase must also engage the tabs on the filter cap itself (w/o this, it will slip).

Thanks!

I have a '16 Tundra V8 and I purchased a oil filter wrench from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $10. It is made of solid steel and has the teeth required for the cartridge housing, I've only used it once so far but didn't have any issues taking the housing off. I'm not sure if the same size wrench fits all engine sizes but here's the link: Toyota filter wrench

You can also find that Motix filter wrench on Amazon for about $25.

Hope this helps.

I have never used that tool, but 6061 T5 aluminium is a good quality, precipitation hardened aluminium alloy. The 6061 is they alloy composition (1% Mg, 0.6% Cu, etc) and the T5 is the heat treatment given to temper the alloy. It's not strong until it's tempered. 6061 is a high strength structural alloy with good toughness and corrosion resistance.

It's used in light aircraft, and tactical equipment like rails & receivers & attachments for military rifles. It comes with various heat treatments (T4, T6, etc) with T6 being the most common for mechanical applications (around me at least).

I would feel confident that the person whose selected this alloy knew what they were doing. It's certainly not a "cheap" tool.

I hope it works well for you.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Look into the Assenmacher brand. Ive had good luck with them on an mb engine.

This one works well for me. Been using it for over 7 years now. Purchased from Amazon.

Just checked. Looks like they dont make one for your application. Sorry.

Just checked. Looks like they dont make one for your application. Sorry.

I have one of these, use on my Tundra and my 2.5 Camry. I would be surprised if one size does not fit all.

I know on the Tundra, one of the "in" things is to buy the Venza 3.5L housing, which is not plastic, but rather aluminum. Have to swap the strainer thing in the center, but then, no more cheezy plastic housing. No idea if the Venza housing can be used elsewhere, but I wonder if having some spare housings in stock might be a good idea.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
The dealer sells them fairly cheaply.

I think that is where I bought mine. Later I looked, and Amazon would have been a couple bucks cheaper, but point being, dealer price wasn't that bad.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
The dealer sells them fairly cheaply.

Was just going to write this. My dealer sells the tool also but I bought mine off Amazon. You can't really overtighten the housing on my Camry oil filter as it just stops when it's seated. It is very tight and I can see how a low quality tool would break.

I am impressed with my ABN brand filter wrench. Available on Amazon now for 17.49 and Prime eligible. I cannot imagine this tool ever breaking or slipping on the housing.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Just curious about you needing the wrench when you're dealing with caps put on by oil rack guys somewhere? You're taking turns on the oil changes?

I bought one of the metal tools for our Rav4 cartridge cap.

I need to use it each time to get the cap off. It gets pretty tight there is no way you could get it off by hand.

The only problem I have with the tool is that there is no relief valve to separate the cap from the tool when you get it off. I have a little trouble getting the two pieces apart.

I just use oil filter pliers, similar the the locking version mentioned earlier. I barely make the thing more than hand tight when installing and then it doesn't take too much force to get it loose. Haven't had any leaks, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back