Volvo B5204T2 Engine Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGers,

Current baby is a 2001 VOLVO S60 2.0 litre (inline 5, flat tappet)) with turbo and auto tranny in excellent shape after 214K miles. Oil consumption is max 2 quarts per 6000 miles with synthetic 5W40. The oil colour on dipstick is dark brown after 4K miles.

Headache for me to find the proper oil into this engine: B5204T2. This is not 'THE T5' block, but created for the Volvo 850 and S70 (around 1996-1998). Unfortunatelly, no original manual came with the car.

The seller (reliable Volvo mechanic, running private VOLVO garage) used Castrol Magnatec 10W40 (part-synthetic), I filled Castrol Magnatec 5W40 (synthetic - group III): both are economic solution, I guess.

After several days reading on BITOG, using Castrol and Mobil 1 oil selector application still no 100% clear:
- online manual (of Volvo 850 B5204T2 engine) recommends from 2001: 5W30, 10W30 or 5W40 + 5K miles OCI for turbo engines
- Volvo forums: ACEA A3/A4 - not A1/A5 developed for Ford engines
- Castrol proposes Castrol Edge Titanium FST 5W-40 A3/B4 or castrol magnatec 10W40 (Hungarian version; UK version: Edge 0W40; German version: Edge 10W60(!))
- Mobil 1: New Life 0W40, or Mobil 3000 X1 5W40
- Volvo forums: so much different kind of oils in use (between 0W30 up to 15W40 - dino or group III/IV synthetics)

I lean toward only min Group III synthetic and max. 6000 miles OCI - keeping this car for long time in healthy condition without dumping into this engine additives.

In my turbocharged SAAB the good choice was Mobil 1 Ow40 after the engine and head refurbishment - before various semi/synthetic oils filled without any visible differencies or effect on oil consumption.

Outcome of the research:
1. Mobil 1 0W40 (great add-pack, but against the manual) or Castrol Edge 5W40 (not so much cleaning and anti-wear adds like in Mobil 1) - Volvo recommends Castrol (back and forth advertisement reason, I guess) max. 7500 miles OCI
2. 'Cheaper' alternative with 5K miles OCI: Mobil 3000 X1 5W40 or Castrol Magnatec 5W40 (both are group III synthetics with weak add pack)

Any proposal to be appreciated!

Last edited:
Another Mobil 1 possibility is their 5w30 ESP oil.. It has all kinds of certs just like Castrol 0w40 and Mobil 1 0w40. It has MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, Volkswagen 504 and 507 plus Porsche C30 too. Porsche C30 is one if the toughest specs to meet according to Lubrizol's comparative spider chart. Those are just about the toughest specs to meet. It has a high HTHS of 3.5 and a very low pour point and CCS. Question is availability.

Last edited:
Thx, bbhero!

Yes, it's available here: premium price cathegory like M1 0W40. Sounds a good alternative!

I'm only thinking on low phosphate content means reduced Zn amount: question what's instead of it helps the antiwear properties in a flat tappet head.

It's on my 'give a try' list, now!

Good idea, Garak!

Could you explain: what does 'type E7, E9' stand for?

Pro: Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W40 is an economic choice comparing with other Edge or M1 0W40.
M1 Turbo Diesel 0W40 has the same price like 0W40 for gas cars.

Contra: potential harmful effect on catalysator due to moderate oil burning issue.

ACEA E7, E9 includes oils like Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 and most other big name HDEOs. In fact, several 15w-40 HDEOs meet E7, E9, too, and would be fine depending upon ambient temperatures. Basically, you'd be getting SA of 1.0 or less and an HTHS of 3.5 or greater and a minimum TBN of 9.

If you add E6 to E7, E9, you'd also be getting a lower phosphorous lube, but you likely be pushed into a newer synthetic 5w-30 HDEO, which may or may not be as cost effective as other options. Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 E7, E9 and Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 E6, E7, E9 are similarly priced here. That may not be the case elsewhere. Obviously, Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40 is the most cost effective of those options and is E7, E9. Of course, I wouldn't be using it in a Saskatchewan winter.

For Castrol examples, I believe it's the Vecton trade name that serves most of the world for E6 products. Here, it's Elixion that is the 5w-30 E6 lube.

Thx for the explanation, Garak!

Found another reasonable priced alternative: Shell Helix Diesel Ultra 5W40 - I guess it sold in NA as Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 - or similar. Fully synthetic - group III.

No problem there man.. And Garak is one of the best/most knowledgeable people on here !! He is the man ! I ask him questions a lot too.

Originally Posted By: zoli

Current baby is a 2001 VOLVO S60 2.0 litre (inline 5, flat tappet)) with turbo and auto tranny in excellent shape after 214K miles. Oil consumption is max 2 quarts per 6000 miles with synthetic 5W40. The oil colour on dipstick is dark brown after 4K miles.

Headache for me to find the proper oil into this engine: B5204T2. This is not 'THE T5' block, but created for the Volvo 850 and S70 (around 1996-1998). Unfortunatelly, no original manual came with the car.

Any proposal to be appreciated!

In Hungary, this can be particularly recommended and should be easy to locate.
Regards, lim

Always used either Mobil1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-30 in our turbo engines. Both oils have European Formula written on the bottle. Both are A3,B3. Maybe now one or the other is an A3,B4.

Had great luck with Total Oil's 9000 Quartz 5W-40. Also A3,B4. Made the quiet Saab engine even quieter! Good luck and hope you find a sale price. Kira

Thx a lot, SAABER Kira! :)
Only issue that Volvo doesn't recommend 0W## weights oil, however both are great and they are on my list to try!

Edit: Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W40 could be a good choice & its price level also reasonable + proposed by valuable saabcentral members - great idea!

Last edited:
Thx for all the professional advices! Let me allowed to summarize the proposals - only min group III synthetics and ACEA A3/A4 (if possible)

1. Premium priced products (here) with good reputation anyway (OCI 7500 miles)
M1 New Life 0W40, ESP 5W30 (C3)
Castrol 'GC' 0W30 (called Edge Titanium here)
Castrol Edge Titanium FST 5W-40 A3/B4

2. Reasonable priced alternatives for gasoline engines (5K miles OCI):
Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W40
Mobil 3000 X1 5W40
Castrol Magnatec 5W40 (C3)
Fuchs Titan Superyn LL 5W-40 (C3)

3. Diesel alternatives (due to price level + SAE viscosity matches the recommendations by the manual) for at least 5K miles OCI
Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W40
Shell Helix Diesel Ultra 5W40

Last edited:
Found another reasonable priced alternative: Shell Helix Diesel Ultra 5W40 - I guess it sold in NA as Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 - or similar. Fully synthetic - group III.

I believe you are correct. Of course, there are the Rimula varieties; I'm not up on all them, since they're Rotella here. Rotella 5w-40 or its European equivalent would be a good choice, of course, assuming the price is tolerable.

The Fuchs stuff is well regarded. We just don't get a lot of it in North America, and when we do, it's a little expensive.

2. Reasonable priced alternatives for gasoline engines (5K miles OCI):
Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W40
Mobil 3000 X1 5W40
Castrol Magnatec 5W40 (C3)
Fuchs Titan Superyn LL 5W-40 (C3)

I think the Titan Supersyn Longline is A3/B4, rather than C3. PM sent.

Regards, lim

Hi Zoli.
I would rather stick with full SAPS oils for this Volvo. It's getting older so I'm not sure C3 oil is worth experimenting with here. My advice would be to use:

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.- cheapest MB229.5 oil in Europe. Also Ferrari approved. Good stuff.
Castrol 0w40, but not 5w version. Ow40 is real synthetic, but pricy. Don't worry about 0w, oils have changed dramatically since 01.
Valvoline SynPower 5w40- full SAPS version, same as above in approvals. Good oil, can be found for reasonable price on occasions.

Cheers, Kristian.

Shortly:
@ Garak: it's correct, Shell Helix Ultra Diesel has reasonable price here
@ lim: I checked, it has A3/B4 (API SN)
@ chrisri: Valvoline SynPower 5W40 is on my list now - only issue: weak add pack by VOA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, a good price is always a good place to start, assuming it's got some decent specifications, which I'm sure that Helix will.

Ultra Diesel is the same oil as a "standard" Ultra. Marketing gimmick. Still, wonderful oil.

Well, we're used to marketing gimmicks, I guess. Different labels all over the world, or even within one market.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back