Went to Pittsburgh for the holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got back from Pittsburgh to visit my wife's family. My SIL and her husband can keep that town, no desire to ever return. Traffic isn't a nightmare there, it is just flat impossible. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Homestead down on the waterfront. My SIL lives nearby in the area of Monitor St. The best part of the whole trip was pumping gas at a Mobil at Hazelwood - Beechwood - Browns Hill Road. I watched a car plow over a median, wipe out some signs, and tear away. It was great.

We ate at the Church Brew Works. The food was edible but not special and definitely not worthy of the prices. I didn' try any of their micro beer. The women in the group did enjoy several chocolate-mint martinis.

The people of Pittsburgh love to make left hand turns at red lights, completely disobey all traffic signals and generally drive like crazies. Apparently 4-way stop etiquette isn't part of Pennsylvania drivers education.

I enjoyed the insane hills as we quickly passed through West Virginia. We took 70 from my MIL's house in Indiana all the way over. Getting to see the eastern part of Ohio was better than Pittsburgh. We saw 10+ road kill coyotes going through Ohio. I have never seen so many grease spot coyotes. I found this interesting/intriguing.

I will keep my cornfields and open spaces, way too fast paced for this hillbilly.

You didn't get a Primantis's sammich n'at? Cole slaw on every sandwich!

food-sandwich.png

Yinzers love their tahn and will advertise it even if they move across the country.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

NYC would probably kill you.

Did you find 'anything' interesting on the trip?

Interesting?

Well, at the Brew Works joint we were clearly out of place. Literally everyone in there had dark hair with dark eyes. I stroll in there as a blue eyed ginger with a brown hair green eyed wife and carrying my blonde hair blue eyed daughter. Yeah, we got stared at.

I can't get over the places houses were built, up and down every hill/mountain, they sure didn't waste any space.

Parking on the street blew my mind. I kept asking what they do during the winter.

The hotel staff was VERY friendly but employees everywhere else and the public itself, not so much.

Coming in on 376 we took a wrong turn and landed downtown, it was a NIGHTMARE but we made it out.

We went to Cleveland in 2014 and I would visit that city yearly given the chance compared to Pittsburgh.

I have no problem admitting I was out of place in Pittsburgh and way out of my comfort zone.

I've been reading up on the death of American manufacturing.
All I think of when I see "Steelers" or "Pittsburg" is the Chinese dumping large amounts of junk steel with the markings of better products on our shores and the US Senate allowing them.

So the Chinese drive down the price of steel, which causes the stock of the US companies to plummet, so the Chinese buy the company and move all their equipment back overseas so that they can replicate it and improve their dumping of steel
products.

In the meantime chinese steel workers die, the miners die, they have zero polluion controls, and the EPA celebrates the closing of another American Steel Mill.

It's just sad.
I've been wondering who we order all of our iron bombs from. Not sure they are American, other than the chemical explosives and electronic guidance packages.

I'm not even sure how you got there, I thought they shut the parkway down to tear the Greenfield bridge down. The bridge was so old it was crumbling apart and dropping debris on the highway so they put a net up. That didn't catch all the debris so they built a metal table to catch the bridge as it crumbled away.

greenfield-bridge.jpg

They just blew that bridge this week. Since the Parkway East or 376 is the second most busy road in the state and it was shut down for 5 days it may have had something to do with the traffic problems you encountered.

I live over 13 miles from that bridge and could hear the explosions very clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CUODcl96ZY

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I've been reading up on the death of American manufacturing.
All I think of when I see "Steelers" or "Pittsburg" is the Chinese dumping large amounts of junk steel with the markings of better products on our shores and the US Senate allowing them.

So the Chinese drive down the price of steel, which causes the stock of the US companies to plummet, so the Chinese buy the company and move all their equipment back overseas so that they can replicate it and improve their dumping of steel
products.

In the meantime chinese steel workers die, the miners die, they have zero polluion controls, and the EPA celebrates the closing of another American Steel Mill.

It's just sad.
I've been wondering who we order all of our iron bombs from. Not sure they are American, other than the chemical explosives and electronic guidance packages.
The "US Senate' allows that how? I think you mean the executive order President.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
They just blew that bridge this week. Since the Parkway East or 376 is the second most busy road in the state and it was shut down for 5 days it may have had something to do with the traffic problems you encountered.

I live over 13 miles from that bridge and could hear the explosions very clearly.

That could be it, I have visited Pittsburgh a few times and didn't find any traffic issues. And yes I love eastern Ohio.

John

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon

376 on the way in was detoured and we couldn't navigate fast enough through the traffic and basically got forced off into downtown. On the way home (yesterday), it was open and flowing.

Originally Posted By: John_K

And yes I love eastern Ohio.

John

We stopped on the west side of Columbus on the way home to eat at Culver's. Best Culver's I have ever been too.

Wow. Having spent 48 years in NW Pa and my fair share of trips into Pittsburgh I have some valuable advice for you, never ever drive in SoCal. You'd be paralyzed.

How could one Culvers be any different than all the rest?

Glad you got out alive.

Of course Az Cardinals stickers are #1 here but the Stillers are easily #2.

Yeah, the city can be different if you're not used to it.

Kinda like I wondered how people could drive hundreds of miles and barely see a thing! (Live close to a major city myself.)

Have friends who just visited Boston and loved it....

Originally Posted By: 04SE

376 on the way in was detoured and we couldn't navigate fast enough through the traffic and basically got forced off into downtown. On the way home (yesterday), it was open and flowing.

Originally Posted By: John_K

And yes I love eastern Ohio.

John

We stopped on the west side of Columbus on the way home to eat at Culver's. Best Culver's I have ever been too.

Before I retired I worked by that one and they are great!
banana2.gif

Yeah, you didn't mention what type of left turn they were making on red. It's actually legal, just depends on the type. You can make a left turn from the left lane if they're both one way streets. A little crazy if it's a left turn from a one way onto a two way street. You can't if there's a red light with an arrow though. Most people don't seem to know so I've given up trying to beep people. Many are clueless enough about just taking a right on red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back