ESP Oil vs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 MBSLK...50k miles. I have been using M1 0w-40 oil for awhile. The dealership is now using 5w-40 ESP oil. And from what I uderstand, the ESP oil is more for deisel engines since it is a "low ash" oil and that it dosn't have as much of the additives that the NON ESP oil has. With that being said, I would like to try a new oil. I was interested in Amsoil, but the oil they reccomend and has the MB 229.3 & 229.51 approval is 0w-40 ESP European Formula. They said that the regular SS 0w-40 is not approved for my car??? Any thoughts from the experts?

The 5w40 esp likely has ashless anti wear additives to make up the difference.

If it bothers you why not just buy the Mobil 1 0W40 at Walmart and bring it to someone else to change or even do yourself if possible

thanks 901Memphis. I'm also originally from Memphis;-) I just read all over the MB forum and people seem to say alot of bad things lacking in an ESP formula. I can just use the same oil-M1. I just thought since I was doing it myself, I would use the best I could find. After reading the oil 106 on here, Amsoil was listed. I was going to use RP, but that seems to not be the best choice.

Mobil 1 esp 5-40 is not even made anymore. MB advised not using it in gas engines due to excess sludging @ the 10k oci's. You can't go 10k on that oil! Use the Mobil 1 0-40 if your Benz is gas. Mobil 1 M 5-40 is still available and is suitable for MB gas engines.

There are few people, even those here on BITOG who have a different preference, who would seriously argue Mobil1 0W-40 does not qualify as amongst "the best [you] could find" You were doing OK all along, as far as that goes.

Originally Posted By: jbellx3
I have a 2006 MBSLK...50k miles. I have been using M1 0w-40 oil for awhile. The dealership is now using 5w-40 ESP oil. And from what I uderstand, the ESP oil is more for deisel engines since it is a "low ash" oil and that it dosn't have as much of the additives that the NON ESP oil has. With that being said, I would like to try a new oil. I was interested in Amsoil, but the oil they reccomend and has the MB 229.3 & 229.51 approval is 0w-40 ESP European Formula. They said that the regular SS 0w-40 is not approved for my car??? Any thoughts from the experts?

Just use M1 0W40

2006 in California?

Either of the two Amsoil 0W-40 or 5W-40's will work fine.

Amsoil Euro 0W-40

Amsoil SS 0W-40

Amsoil AFL 5W-40

Amsoil EFM 5W-40

Pablo-

Which out of those four would you reccomend the most? I wanted to use the SS 0W-40, but they said it wasnt approved for my car?

Pablo-

Which out of those four would you reccomend the most? I wanted to use the SS 0W-40, but they said it wasnt approved for my car?

Fair question. I cannot say I know your engine well - because frankly I didn't see what model (engine) you have, but seeing it's a 2006, can I assume you no longer have a factory warranty, but perhaps you have an extended, or aftermarket warranty?

I think you could use any four of those oils, and your engine would not know the difference. That said Amsoil stands behind - warrants - the use of EFO or EFM. Warm California use the 5W-40 EFM, colder northern mountains, 0W-40 EFO.

The AFL 5W-40 Carries MB-Approval 229.51.

The AZF 0W-40 I've come to love this oil in my WRX, but of course has not been tested to the Euro standards, nor is backed by Amsoil's warranty in your application.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
if you care about the lower SAPS, then consider Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck. It's only .95 vs .90 (Formula M ESP)

Formula M ESP 5w40 is 0.6%, regular Formula M 5w40 is 0.9%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back