2015 Silverado 5.3L FF 2840MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA I've ever done, figured I'd make an account and share my results:
0w-20 Factory Oil
2840mi
2015 Silverado 4x4 LT 5.3L

~3 Months in service, First 1K miles gentle and mild to hard after that. Weather was extreme changes from 70F one day to 30F the next (Michigan is awesome...).

Switched to Mobile 1 0w-20 AFE and Royal Purple 20-500 Oil Filter; Probably going to do a UOA again in another 5K just to compare and then gradually try to get up to 10-15K depending on TBN/wear.

ALUMINUM 6
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 38
COPPER 173
LEAD 3
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 78
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 26
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 174
SILICON 140
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 2092
MAGNESIUM 8
PHOSPHORUS 746
ZINC 792
BARIUM 2

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 56.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.09
Flashpoint in °F 385
Fuel % TR
Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 4.3

UVogctf.jpg

Last edited:
Hey! I'm interested in seeing your UOA over the long haul. I looked at your rig but kept with the F150 route when I went new in 15. I have the 5.0 4V 8cylinder that I was comparing to what you went with.

I'm at 5.2k and changed at 1.4k FF. UOA will come at 6500k and I will post. You have an awesome truck. I love mine but side by side they are so similar. Pick your badge is what it was like with the 2015 year...IMHO anyway.

a friend of mine owns the same truck, they are super nice. That DI 5.3L is a hot rod.

Nice report. You should have free oil changes for the first 24k miles. Take advantage of those. GM allows you to bring them in at 20% OLM for a change. most dealers use A/c Delco 0w20 which is a good product. Good call in the early dump. Good luck!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Hey! I'm interested in seeing your UOA over the long haul. I looked at your rig but kept with the F150 route when I went new in 15. I have the 5.0 4V 8cylinder that I was comparing to what you went with.

I'm at 5.2k and changed at 1.4k FF. UOA will come at 6500k and I will post. You have an awesome truck. I love mine but side by side they are so similar. Pick your badge is what it was like with the 2015 year...IMHO anyway.

Nice! I didn't really look at the Fords because I wasn't a fan of the SYNC system and not really a fan of were they are going with it. My choice was between Dodge and Chevy simply because of interior but I'm glad I went with the Chevy because they paid a lot of attention to all the small things. If I was going to get a work truck, F250 or F350 would probably be first on my list though.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
a friend of mine owns the same truck, they are super nice. That DI 5.3L is a hot rod.

Nice report. You should have free oil changes for the first 24k miles. Take advantage of those. GM allows you to bring them in at 20% OLM for a change. most dealers use A/c Delco 0w20 which is a good product. Good call in the early dump. Good luck!

I can't bring myself to have someone else do it. I generally flush out the oil pan with a half quart after it all drains and pre-fill the oil filter when I change it. I know it doesn't really matter but its a peace of mind. The oil filter and drain hole are right next to each other (Something I've wanted for a really long time) so it makes it extremely easy.

Originally Posted By: ic3man5
I can't bring myself to have someone else do it. I generally flush out the oil pan with a half quart after it all drains and pre-fill the oil filter when I change it. I know it doesn't really matter but its a peace of mind. The oil filter and drain hole are right next to each other (Something I've wanted for a really long time) so it makes it extremely easy.

I'm with you on the free oil changes. My 14 had the GM provided oil changes. One trip to the dealer and I left with an overfill and a Delco ecore filter. No thanks not again.

Like you say the oil change procedure on the 5.3 is extremely easy as filter and drain plug are so accessible. Why not do it yourself for some peace of mind?

Congrats on the truck by the way. I have 16K on mine and no issues

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Not only that but for the difference in the price you can go to a full synthetic oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back